Thread: PowerStop Brakes

Local Goon Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

PowerStop Brakes

I replaced the front brakes on my GMC about 2 months ago. Decided to try powerstop brakes. they were a good price on rock auto. The rotor/brake pad kit is around $170. I got the Z36 kit for extreme performance truck and tow. If you buy the parts separately as opposed to the kit. its around $140. its cheap enough to try. So far I have been pretty happy with them. Chevys of my era are not know for the great breaking performance. I was happy enough with them that I put them on my wife suburban. the rotors warped and the peddle vibrated when you hit the brakes. The Suburban turned into a 3 week project because the last owner apparently never heard of neverseize. Hub bolts rusted in place. I even took the knuckles off to heat them with a torch. I had 1 bolt on each that wouldn't budge. after a set of junkyard knuckles, I finally completed the project yesterday. New knuckles, new lower ball joint, new hub, new hub bolts, new wheel studs, new rotor, new pads. I painted the old calipers just to keep them from rusting any further with high temp paint. The test drive was phenomenal. HUGH difference. Old brakes went bad except for the vibration. After the break in, I did about a 1/2 panic stop and my cell phone went flying off the seat and hit the dash. Brake pedal is normal for about he first inch and then gets aggressive. I had to go back to the barn and pull the rear drums off and gave them about 10 clicks each to get the rears to grab sooner. Subsequent test drive was night and day difference over the old brakes. So far I am really impressed with these, especially for the price (about $155 for my application shipped to my house). Plus they look good.

008.jpg
    Paul

1976 CJ 5 on 37s
    1984 CJ 7 on 36's
    1993 GMC K3500 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Local Goon Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Wow Paul, those rotors sure do look good. You sure did do a nice job!
    Paul

1976 CJ 5 on 37s
    1984 CJ 7 on 36's
    1993 GMC K3500 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Paul,

Nice work! My 1998 k1500 suburban is about due for brakes, so this is probably the route I am going. I have never like the brakes on it, so any improvement is welcome. I don't drive it much anymore, I let the boys use it for their lawncare business while they are in school and college. It is the perfect rig for that with close to 300,000 on the ticker!

Plus, a mouse got in there and peed up in the headliner.....That little %!$%$ couldn't have done his business on the carpet for us to pull out and throw away....no, he had to climb up in the headliner.
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Thread Information