Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinton County - Stone-Quarry Road

Life Time Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Thanks for all the updates.

This looks like a seriously uphill battle. If we could show attendance to the area for the last ten years, would it have an impact? Perhaps a petition signed by attendees to the area?

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

We jumped through all of these hoops when they wanted to vacate the roads in the Richland Furnace area and unfortunately nothing helped. A lawyer was hired, tried to show continued use of the road, some of the national land-use organizations were contacted, etc.... and I think maybe it delayed it a few months. I'm sure if you invested more money on a lawyer it might help but where does that money come from? There are several big organizations, like the Blue Ribbon Coalition, that fight for land use but they seem to have little interest in a small township road in Ohio.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Thanks Alan for your detailed report! It sounds like the McAurthur trail will be closing at some point, the area will arguably get more income from motorcycles/ATVs as they are way more popular these days on top of the grant money already in motion. I'm glad you took the time to grab some other county engineer maps and a couple of us in Athens had been scouting new trails in the area and have a few that can be explored. When I started my job in Marietta this fell by the wayside but who knows, if we find enough in an area it could be a new trail ride area. The same could be done for alot of counties around Ohio to re-vamp our monthly locations.

As to titling a buggy another route is to have a fabricated vehicle title issued, it would have to be street legal and inspected at a patrol office equipped for it. I think the only place that does this is in the Mansfield area and only occurs once or twice a year. Also there is a limited number of available titles every year ~45, but the state would assign it a new vin number and permanently affix a vin tag to the vehicle and assign a title. I think sand rail's got by since the vin from the VW they plundered to build it had a vin on the engine and they just title it as a VW based on that. Petersons 4wheel and Offroad documented the fabricated vehicle title process in California with their Fun Buggy build. Ohio tends to be an unfriendly state for titling purposes outside of the norm, I've jumped through their hoops on a couple of occasions and now put a premium on having a clean title at the time of sale.
    94 4runner SAS Elocked 35's
    78 FJ40 35's
    15 Ram 2500 Cummins 6spd

Ohio4x4 Member Sr. Forum Member OffRoadOhio's Avatar
    This is a little unrelated but

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/research

This is the last day that you can fill out this survey and give your opinion to the state.

The survey is a little lengthy but at the end of it there's a comment section where you can let them know you spend a lot of money traveling out-of-state to ride ohv trails.
    Last edited by OffRoadOhio; 03-15-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Double post
    Last edited by OffRoadOhio; 03-15-2017 at 08:50 AM.

I have taken my modified garden tractor and a go kart to several different County as well as the state highway patrol inspection agency and I am told that there is absolutely no way to get and offered only Ohio Title issued for them. I try at least once a year to do it.

I have gone as far as taking the tractor to West Virginia and having a buddy who lives there try to title it under West Virginia law and they also have to inspect the vehicle and we could not find an officer that would sign off on it to get a title issue for it.

I have heard back South Dakota and will issue out of State registration I'm going to attempt that way and see where it gets me as far as making my side by side street legal if it works then perhaps maybe I could get a non-titled buggy a title three South Dakota
    Last edited by OffRoadOhio; 03-15-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Sr. Forum Member

A long-time friend had this thing registered and plated here in Ohio a few years ago. He drives it into town on the weekends. It's not a big town but does have a population of 12,000+ and a Highway Patrol station so not like it's just a cross-roads out in the country. Former Champ car (similar to a sprint car). He took the chassis and put in a 4.3L V-6, auto trans, 10-bolt truck rear axle, etc... You can see the license plate, turn signals, windshield and wiper, etc.....

IMG_0137.JPG

There are also a bunch of people in another close by small town who have street legal golf carts they drive around all the time......go past the Eagles on a Saturday evening and there are several in the parking lot.

Based on that you can get homemade vehicles registered and street legal but it does require jumping through some hoops. For ATV's and SxS's it seems to be more difficult as they are actually registered/titled as not for highway use vehicles to begin with.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

FoundingFather, Treasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    I think ODNR can show a list of 'permit's bought to prove how many APVs 'could' use the new area.
    We can show a club member-list, & a OffroadOhio list, and other club lists - but don't know if that beats ODNRs list.
    Whoevers list(s) spends the most $$$ in Vinton 'may' win the Commissioners - but which list(s) do you think the Comms will believe?
    Last edited by clarknorm; 03-15-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    -Norm

Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clarknorm View Post
    I think ODNR can show a list of 'permit's bought to prove how many APVs 'could' use the new area.
    We can show a club member-list, & a OffroadOhio list, and other club lists - but don't know if that beats ODNRs list.
    Whoevers list(s) spends the most $$$ in Vinton 'may' win the Commissioners - but which list(s) do you think the Comms will believe?
    Unfortunately Norm is right. There is no tangible list that can prove how much fullsize vehicles use the area or how much money they bring to the area.
    Brad

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    APV permits generate funding, but so do licensed vehicles (tags, insurance, sales tax). I think the comparison of memberships in clubs (local to the area) is valid and comparable to those who apply for permits for APVs. If full size vehicles were allowed on the trail, they would need a permit as well...so that is another revenue stream and vehicles would generate more income due to requirements for tags, insurance and sales tax, not to mention vehicles use 3 times the fuel compared to APVs.
    Perhaps throwing in a semi-annual trail cleaning/maintenance agreement by the club would entice them? The commissioners need to know what is in it for the county, and right now they only see revenue from the APV permits and have nothing to compare it to.
    Doug
    96 Wrangler
    39" Boggers
    Tons w/lockers
    12000lb Badland extraction device
    Custom "scratch & dent" bodywork

The thing is ohio law mandates that ALL atvs, and utvs be tagged, doesnt matter if they use or do not use the trail area so thier list is not truthful to the amount of use they see.

Although in thier defense, no one I know buys a tag even though its required unless they plan to ride.

Going street legal for home builds is easy, going street legal for golf carts is easy, but for sxs and atv it is NOT.

BlackRubi Forum Member alancurtis2's Avatar
    FYI, I will be unable to attend the 23rd meetings... got to drive to TX.
    Alan
    Black 06 Rubicon TJ
    Latest: Beadlocks
    Intentional: 2" spacer lift, 1" body+engine, 34 LTBs, Kilby gas tank skid, steering box skid, JKS swaybar disconnects, Kilby rocker guard/steps, Kilby front bumper, Smittybilt XRC8 comp winch, Durango Generator.
    Forced stuff: JKS adjustable front upper control arms, rancho shocks, Delete fog lamps, On-trail body mods for greater clearance (ie Dents).
    Next: flat belly skid, 35+?, re-attach fog lights?

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadOhio View Post
    This is a little unrelated but

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/research

This is the last day that you can fill out this survey and give your opinion to the state.

The survey is a little lengthy but at the end of it there's a comment section where you can let them know you spend a lot of money traveling out-of-state to ride ohv trails.
    Folks, take this survey if you can...
    It's a pretty broad (and thus long) survey, but it also clearly shows ODNR is 100% focused on more "ATV/UTV" trails with zero mention of full sized 4x4 trails.
    There is a comment box at the end of the 15 minute survey and it would be great if many said something about full sized 4x4 trails... as opposed to them being able to say "we asked for comments, and only 2 or 3 people said anything about 4x4s", while conveniently forgetting/ignoring they they asked about just about any activity under the sun, including Pickleball (WTF?), and that by the end of the survey you're damned tired.. I almost missed the tiny little comment spot that looks to be about enough room for 2 words, but you can just keep typing...

All they ask about ATV/UTV is if they have the right amount or if they need more!
    Last edited by alancurtis2; 03-15-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo
    Alan
    Black 06 Rubicon TJ
    Intentional: 2" spacer lift, 1" body+engine, 34 LTBs, Kilby gas tank skid, steering box skid, JKS swaybar disconnects, Kilby rocker guard/steps, Kilby front bumper, Smittybilt XRC8 comp winch, Durango Generator.
    Forced stuff: JKS adjustable front upper control arms, rancho shocks, Delete fog lamps, On-trail body mods for greater clearance (ie Dents).

Sr. Forum Member
    Im going to viewing & hearing on Thu.23
    -Norm

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    I ran across this organization, maybe we can use it's resources. Ron

http://cohvco.org/
    1990 YJ, 350 sbc, AX15/231, Tom Woods SYE & shaft, Dana 44's F&R, 5.13's, detroit lockers, 3.5" springs, 1"bl, 1/2" boom shackles, 35" MTR's, Warn 8274, overland bound member #3644

I don't imagine that a colorado-based group is going to be much help to us

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    I was thinking more of the sponsors and supporters, Ron
    1990 YJ, 350 sbc, AX15/231, Tom Woods SYE & shaft, Dana 44's F&R, 5.13's, detroit lockers, 3.5" springs, 1"bl, 1/2" boom shackles, 35" MTR's, Warn 8274, overland bound member #3644

Sr. Forum Member
    In McArthur,OH - go east on rt.50 - go under railroad-bridge, then start looking at your right-side for typical green street-sign that says 'Stone-Quarry Rd' - turn onto that (going south), and drive until youre at the wooden-slat bridge.
    Ill be at the bridge at 10:30-10:45 - county meeting is there at 11am.
    Courthouse meeting/voting is later at 2pm.
    -Norm

Any updates?
    Alan
    Black 06 Rubicon TJ

Sr. Forum Member
    Jason – let me know if any of the following is not what you thought.
    1 commissioner was against vacating/closing Stone-QuarryRd, but the other 2 voted to close it. It may take some time for the paperwork to go thru, but in our eyes, its no longer a legal road for us to drive on.
    &
    Had a long talk with ODNR guy Nate Jester after the hearing – my main issue : ODNR ‘must’ maintain trails based on what their auditors say needs fixed/maintained.
    ODNRs SRV-fund money ‘must’ be used to ‘maintain’ the trails (ie doze regularly, gravel if needed, etc) – just like Pike-APV, Richland-APV & Maumee-APV areas are being managed. Notice I did not say Perry-APV – its an odd area, AND according to Mr.ODNR, if Perry is ever re-used for mining,etc again, and is then reclaimed for recreational use again, then ODNR ‘would’ start treating the area like Pike,Richland+Maumee. Bottom line – ODNR will always ‘have to maintain’ their trails due to some auditors that inspect the trails regularly. Don’t know how Ohio got setup this way, but its why ODNR is different from Indiana-DNR. ODNR-permits are bought thru an auto BMV-office – but Indiana-DNR permits are sold at the IDNR-park, like Harlan-KY, Windrock-TN, Rush-KY, etc. Mr.ODNR said that the maintenance must be applied to 'all' trails – cannot have Easy-trails as well as Average-trails & Extreme-trails… ie we should forget about ODNR, forever – UNLESS ‘we the People’ can get something like IDNR setup here in Ohio, separate from the current ODNR way (if that’s even possible)!
    Last edited by clarknorm; 03-24-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    -Norm

Junior Member Jr. Forum Member Ron505's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Norm!

IMO, gravel/dozed trails stink! I'd rather ride my RZR or YZ450 on unmaintained rough stuff, like Perry Co. Going there on April 1st.

Unfortunately as you know I was unable to get out of work to make the meeting but commissioner fout kept me in the loop throughout the day. I was irritated at work but I couldn't get out but at the same time I kinda knew what the outcome was going to be no matter what we did.

How many people showed up? Out of curiosity and did they mention which other roads will be included in this at a possibly later date

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    Yes that about it norm without changes to laws/code Ohio will never be jeep friendly odnr has no plans to help the jeeps as far as quarry I think the county made the only discussion they could to draw money in for the area but will it work time will see
    Last edited by jason1348; 03-24-2017 at 06:33 PM.

No it won't work because most people who ride don't ride smooth trails. There is a reason that Perry is the only one that gets any major use. And there is still only one campground running because of its existence. It benefits local economy in no way.

The ones that do like easy trails go to Wayne, and Wayne is looking to lower permit prices that omta was on board with being raised "because it would provide more funding for more trails" their numbers are so low now they have less money than before the rate increase because smooth trails suck.

There is no money in groomed trails.

Also they were wanting to log and remine Perry and we tried to stop it and so far they backed off, but since it was mentioned by odnr I bet they do it without telling us, then when it reopens it too will suck.

I
    Perry is the sole reason most folks I ride atv or sxs with buy Ohio tags. I'm due for renewal in May and will not buy another. I will go out of state.

I will also purchase a non resident pa atv permit and continue to ride Perry to make sure Ohio does not see my money.

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    There is 4 phases to this park by the time all is complete everything down to beard will be gone

Thread Information