Thread: 2017-Jan.29(Sunday) - OMTA meeting

FoundingFather, Treasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

2017-Jan.29(Sunday) - OMTA meeting

OMTA(Ohio Motorized Trails Assoc) meeting at 10am on Sun.Jan.29 at Columbus/Reynoldsburg,OH : AMA museum.
    Its FREE to get in the museum if youre there for the meeting - after the meeting, walk around to see all the motorcycles!
    -Norm

Sr. Forum Member
    Someone at the OMTA meeting went to an ODNR meeting recently - ODNR people showed maps of QuarryRd trail, and area around it, being turned into another ATV/bike/side-by-side park - ie. QuarryRd would be 'vacated', and Jeeps/trucks would NOT be allowed on the trails (since ODNR has 62inch width limits for all trails in Ohio). BillK and I had walked QuarryRd with the head of ODNR(Mr.Boyles) a few years ago - and BillK said he is contacting Mr.Boyles on why he/ODNR has changed their mind on giving QuarryRd to Jeeps/trucks, since they have no trails in Ohio.
    ! STAY TUNED !
    -Norm

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Hopefully this doesn't mean the end for Quarry Road. One thing I have brought up before was similar to other trails "out west" that were adopted by the local 4x4 clubs for maintenance and advocacy to keep them open. Maybe the club would be interested in adopting Quarry Road to keep it on track, clean and open?
    94 4runner SAS Elocked 35's
    78 FJ40 35's
    15 Ram 2500 Cummins 6spd

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4evr13 View Post
    Hopefully this doesn't mean the end for Quarry Road. One thing I have brought up before was similar to other trails "out west" that were adopted by the local 4x4 clubs for maintenance and advocacy to keep them open. Maybe the club would be interested in adopting Quarry Road to keep it on track, clean and open?
    ^^^ This is an excellent idea to look into.
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    I would support that idea. Maintained to what level and for what vehicles? But, I like the idea. Ron
    1990 YJ, 350 sbc, AX15/231, Tom Woods SYE & shaft, Dana 44's F&R, 5.13's, detroit lockers, 3.5" springs, 1"bl, 1/2" boom shackles, 35" MTR's, Warn 8274, overland bound member #3644

Ohio4x4 Member Sr. Forum Member OffRoadOhio's Avatar
    This might not be all bad. Perhapsodnr could be convinced to let 4x4 coexist with atv. If it is a new riding area they could easily implement rules to allow us to share the trails as Hatfield mccoy has done. Then we could do as perrymer forest maintaince crew is doing and keep it clean and better patrolled, with good signage and maps.

Sr. Forum Member
    All I know so far is ODNR wants it for bikes/side-by-sides - which means 62inch rule - and the ODNR meeting said that meant 'vacating' the road from legal road vehicles. OMTA and I have ask before (when we walked the road with ODNR personel) to allow Jeeps/trucks - hopefully ODNR wont make this park for 62inches or less. ODNR already knows 'we' have basically adopted it - only 'we' maintain it (cut fallen trees).
    -Norm

were you at the odnr meeting or is this coming from someone else? Its easy for some folks to misinterpret legal jumbo.

I have a sxs and ride alot of the state forest trails so I wouldnt be upset to see more trails opened in that area because i can use them, and honestly I dont even run SQ in jeeps anymore, but it is kind of a stab in the d!&k when we were basically promised a jeep trail, and yet again they are talking APV stuff.

Perry Forest crew has a good thing going with perry APV, and I am sure IF we could convince them to allow all off road vehicles, other clubs would step up, or at least more people would join this one and we could keep it better maintained and controlled. currently we can only legally do so much as we are not "forest volunteers since any work ( cutting trees) is done on the right of way.

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    It may be worth doing the "adoption" more officially than what we have been doing. I know we can reach out to the Blue Ribbon Coalition and possibly get more information on how to go about doing it. It would likely include organized "clean up" days, increased signage and so on but may keep that particular road from being vacated. It's a little closer to my heart due to it being 20min from my house but it along with Beard Cemetery would be another lost area since no one would just go there to run Beard alone.
    94 4runner SAS Elocked 35's
    78 FJ40 35's
    15 Ram 2500 Cummins 6spd

Sr. Forum Member
    Those ODNR maps showed QuarryRd south to BeardCemeteryRdorange-gate (which we drive by before getting to cemetery) - all shaded-in as a 'riding area' - so maybe BeardCemRd will be closed too. Yesterday, via email, ODNR guy gave his phone# to BillK/OMTA - no word from BillK yet on if they talked.
    -Norm

I know you won't agree with this Norm but I do not trust bill as a spokesperson for the 4x4 communities. I envisioned him saying this is a wonderful idea because it will open up more writing for his dual sport Buddies. But I don't want to get into a debate about that what's more important is that we tried to save this area for all of us to use. I just want it to be publicly known that I don't like the idea of him being our soul contact in this.

I put an email in myself to ODNR but I have not heard back yet.

I wonder if we c
    Could get some information from Redbird riding area in Indiana as they are a multi-use state Ran facility.

Sr. Forum Member
    BillK(OMTA Pres) told me he would talk to ODNR for us Jeepers, since he knows both the guys that are in charge of this. Bill also asked if we Jeepers would attend a meeting with ODNR to discuss the issue - I told him Im available 24/7 (no problem taking a vacation day from work). He also knows Im waiting on an answer from him on the topic - Ill not let more than a few days go by without asking him for info.
    Ive already given Indiana:Redbird info, and another guy gave California State-run park info - it all proves a successful precedence in other states.
    -Norm

My new job allows me alot more free time, if available count me in on the meeting. Prob be 630am or something silly though.

Thread Information