Thread: Hello from Mason,OH

Junior Member Forum Newbie

Smile Hello from Mason,OH

Hello guys,i am from Mason area,bought my 16 4Runner last week ,went to Titus Canyon and some other off-road trails in Death valley last Nov in Jeep Cherokee and decided to get 4Runner,do you guys know any good 4x4 shop in Cincinnati OH? Thanks.

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

This club is based out of Columbus and seems like very few members live around Cincy.......I lived just outside Columbus for years and now live in Lebanon so have a good feel for this.

Check out the Cincyoffroad.com website. This club is based in the Northern Cincy area and has monthly meetings in Fairfield right off of 275. I am a member of this club also. These guys will have better insight to what local shops to use. I can't really help you out in regards to suggesting any shops cause I have never used any of them.

I would recommend keeping an eye out for the Novice Runs hosted by Ohio4x4 as they are a good place to try out your vehicle. Just keep in mind that most every trail, or trail area, in Ohio is wooded and will provide some nice custom pinstripes on your rig. This is usually minimal on the novice rides but if you get queasy about having branches brush the side of your brand new vehicle then you probably won't like it.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    This club is based out of Columbus and seems like very few members live around Cincy.......I lived just outside Columbus for years and now live in Lebanon so have a good feel for this.

Check out the Cincyoffroad.com website. This club is based in the Northern Cincy area and has monthly meetings in Fairfield right off of 275. I am a member of this club also. These guys will have better insight to what local shops to use. I can't really help you out in regards to suggesting any shops cause I have never used any of them.

I would recommend keeping an eye out for the Novice Runs hosted by Ohio4x4 as they are a good place to try out your vehicle. Just keep in mind that most every trail, or trail area, in Ohio is wooded and will provide some nice custom pinstripes on your rig. This is usually minimal on the novice rides but if you get queasy about having branches brush the side of your brand new vehicle then you probably won't like it.
    Thank you Brad,will check Cincy offroad .Lebanon is nice town, been there on Sunday to check LM&M railroad(though its closed)and if there are any dirt roads around that area, also went to Caesar creek state park and Spring valley Wildlife area.

I dont mind getting my 4runner scratchy..

Sr. Forum Member

I'm not aware of any dirt roads, or even gravel roads for that matter, that are open to the public in this area. There has to be some privately owned land with decent wheeling on it around the river bottoms as it's very hilly (for Ohio), just haven't ran in to any of those people yet.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

LifeMember Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I was over there trading samurai parts to a guy in the Dayton area and he was trying to meet up with his club for a trail run that day that was local. He made it sound like private land that they run and a good sized group that was going, at least I hope it was private... his junk was nowhere near street legal... did have a cherry LJ20 from Colorado and a mint special edition samurai but neither ran(zuk nerd info over).

Actually come to think of it Mason has(had?) a huge area that people were taking 4x4s and quads to. Story was a guy bought a bunch of government land but couldn't build on it for a long period of time so he was letting people run trails on it. I went over with the Athens County Crawlers 2 times... not very stock friendly and I quit running with them due to certain beverage consumption on the trail.

Sounds like the spring novice ride is right up your alley, trails would be very fun in a stock to stockish rig as long as pin striping is okay. You can decide from there if regular trail rides seem like a good idea, plus I love the new 4runners... couldn't own one myself because it would look like my 2nd gen in a short period of time and no one wants to see that.
    94 4runner SAS Elocked 35's "Fiona"
    97 F350 Powerstroke CCLB "Marge"
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member

If you ran down in Mason in the 90's or early 2000's I wonder if it was the VOA park area. There is 400 some acres that was a government radio transmitter site from back in WW2 and then was used for public radio until the mid 90s. When it was shutdown part went to local government for a park and part went to a developer who has since built a shopping center. Nowadays I would be amazed if there is any place in the area to wheel based on how developed the area is.
    Brad

LifeMember Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Didn't have a drivers license in that era so that would've been difficult haha. It was 4-5 years ago, the area was outside of town a good ways down gravel roads. Seemed kinda iffy at the time but thought the other club did due diligence... but you can probably guess how that went. I was trying to get in contact with the land owner to gain permission for Ohio4x4 to get access to it but kinda fizzled out after going through 5 people to get his information and still couldn't get solid information. There was an awesome creek bed with boulders but the rest was trails and one large bowl that used to be a quarry.
    94 4runner SAS Elocked 35's "Fiona"
    97 F350 Powerstroke CCLB "Marge"
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Thread Information