Thread: Double Cardian Squeak...

Treasurer Site Admin
    Forum Member

Double Cardian Squeak...

On the way home from the last trail ride, my jeep picked up a very noticeable drive-shaft speed squeaking. I have taken off the front drive shaft and can make the Double Cardan joint squeak in my hands. Not the crosses of the u-joints, but the "ball and socket like thing" in the middle of the joint. I hit that with some PB Blaster and now I can't get it to squeak in my hands anymore.

I did drive in "over the drive shaft deep mud" on the ride, though I tried to power wash the bottom in McArthur before the 2.5 hour drive home...

Can anyone tell from all that if I need to take it to a drive line place or if I fixed it? It wasn't too long ago that I had this shaft rebuilt due to a squeak, though I'm not sure what exactly the dealer had some power train shop do (long story..)

alan
    Alan
    Black 06 Rubicon TJ
    Latest: Beadlocks
    Intentional: 2" spacer lift, 1" body+engine, 34 LTBs, Kilby gas tank skid, steering box skid, JKS swaybar disconnects, Kilby rocker guard/steps, Kilby front bumper, Smittybilt XRC8 comp winch, Durango Generator, Iron Rock Offroad control arms.
    Forced stuff: JKS adjustable front upper control arms, Delete fog lamps, On-trail body mods for greater clearance (ie Dents).
    Next: flat belly skid, 35+?, re-attach fog lights?

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    The center pivot needs a heavier lube than PB blaster, it should be regular chassis grease. When angled in the right position you should be able to access the zerk fitting. You'll need a needle attachment for your grease gun. If it's fairly new I would't think you have to Have it rebuuilt again. My YJ's rear shaft has a double C, and I have to remove the shaft to lube it. Let me know if I can help, Ron
    1990 YJ, 350 sbc, AX15/231, Tom Woods SYE & shaft, Dana 44's F&R, 5.13's, detroit lockers, 3.5" springs, 1"bl, 1/2" boom shackles, 35" MTR's, Warn 8274, overland bound member #3644

FoundingFather, xTreasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Bring it to the meeting Tuesday - 'Show & Tell'.
    -Norm

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I'll try to make it, Ron
    1990 YJ, 350 sbc, AX15/231, Tom Woods SYE & shaft, Dana 44's F&R, 5.13's, detroit lockers, 3.5" springs, 1"bl, 1/2" boom shackles, 35" MTR's, Warn 8274, overland bound member #3644

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I'll try to make it, Ron

Junior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Jr. Forum Member

Ah yes my shaft did the same thing after a trail ride i did the pb blast thing only works for about one drive, and to my knowledge most if all cardian front joints don't have any grease fittings mine didn't and the back up shaft i used didn't either best to replace with Dana Spicer 1310 Drive Shaft CV Socket Yoke Assembly - 211355X it has 2 zerk fittings built in, thats what ill get when funds allow

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I'd look for this fitting, it will require a needle attackment for your grease gun. Ron

Thread Information