Thread: Jeep Won't Start. Help Me Troubleshoot

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Jeep Won't Start. Help Me Troubleshoot

In the words of Kevin Hart: "We gon' learn today!"

So my Jeep won't start.

The other day I swung by Valvoline instant oil change just to get air in my tires. When I start it back up it cranks real slow. It sounded very "bogged down," and they all laughed at me and said it sounded like it was about time for a new battery. I have been told for years by other people that it sounds bogged down whenever I start it, but this time even I noticed the difference. I drove it around town the rest of the day Friday and it started fine a few times.

Sunday evening: Jeep won't start at all. No cranking. But the radio and guages turn on. This happened to me a while ago and it was just corroded battery terminals. So that's my first idea. BTW the battery was purchased in January 2008, the week I bought the TJ.

Today I cleaned the terminals and took the battery to the parts store. They charged it and said it is functioning just fine. I bought a new clamp for the negative side because it looked pretty rusty. I replaced it and tried to test start the jeep before installing things like winch, etc. Now it was turning over quite happily, but STILL not starting. So what's next? I was running out of time so I decided to just attach the winch, etc and secure everything and come back to it later. While tightening everything down the brand new made-in-China-clamp crumbled in half. When it rains it pours.

I guess I've never been through a full troubleshooting process of a vehicle that won't start. What is the proper order and method of things to test? Any help is appreciated!
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Semper Fi Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Joe your going to have to go thru the steps. Can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on? Pull a spark plug have someone turn it over see if you have spark. Did you forget to hook a wire back up or did you by mistake knock a wire loose. Your jeep running fine then when you pull the Batt all of sudden it wont start makes me think you knocked a wire loose while pulling the Batt. Just take your time look at all the wire connections and check for fuel and spark and that will narrow your hunting areas down

FoundingFather, xTreasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    My brother, while jump-starting his car, caused a fuse to blow - which kept the car from starting. Check ALL fuses (under hood, under dash, battery-inline, etc). And, as said, check for gas and spark.
    -Norm

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Do you have a voltmeter/multimeter?

Life Members Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Forum Newbie

I would also check the starter
    97tj 4\'\' lift 33 mt locked f&R

Life Members Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Forum Newbie

I would also check the starter
    97tj 4\'\' lift 33 mt locked f&R

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Well, it turned out that the battery was NOT ok. Replacing it and the crappy clamp made everything run just fine again. Thanks for the advice everyone.
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Thread Information