Thread: Hatfield and McCoy

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member

Hatfield and McCoy

I heard on a West Virginia radio Station this morning that the H&M trail system was working on a "Jeep and HumVee" trail section South of Charleston WV.
    2001 TJ
    You know you have a real Jeep
    "When you spend more on carwashes than on Insurance"

Ohio4x4 Member Sr. Forum Member OffRoadOhio's Avatar
    yep, has been in the works for awhile. Some of us have been riding the "proposed" land for years. Some of my buddies from the area have attended meetings with them. Nothing is 100% and they have a couple locations they are looking at.

"Jeep trails proposed for Kanawha County area
    Officials for the Hatfield-McCoy trail system want to build an off-road trail facility for full-sized vehicles within a few miles of Charleston.
    By Rusty Marks
    The Charleston Gazette
    LuskAdvertiser

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Officials for the Hatfield-McCoy trail system want to build an off-road trail facility for full-sized vehicles within a few miles of Charleston.

The proposed off-road vehicle park will be discussed at a Kanawha County Commission meeting on Thursday. Hatfield-McCoy Trails Executive Director Jeffrey Lusk is expected to outline the project, said Kanawha County Commissioner Dave Hardy.

Kanawha County officials have been talking about expanding The Hatfield-McCoy Trails system into Kanawha County for several years, Hardy said. The system is made up of more than 500 miles of trails for all-terrain vehicles, dirt bikes, hikers and horseback riding in nine southern West Virginia counties.

But Lusk said none of the existing trails are big enough to accommodate full-sized vehicles like Jeeps and Hummers. He said trail system planners think off-roaders are the next untapped resource of trail users, and predicts thousands of people a year will come to West Virginia just to use the trails.

"We just believe there's a big market for that," he said.

Lusk said the facility would need to be located within 20 miles of Charleston, because off-roaders will want to stay in area hotels and take advantage of area restaurants and shopping.

Lusk said the biggest obstacle to building the park would be finding enough land in the area.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Officials for the Hatfield-McCoy trail system want to build an off-road trail facility for full-sized vehicles within a few miles of Charleston.

The proposed off-road vehicle park will be discussed at a Kanawha County Commission meeting on Thursday. Hatfield-McCoy Trails Executive Director Jeffrey Lusk is expected to outline the project, said Kanawha County Commissioner Dave Hardy.

Kanawha County officials have been talking about expanding The Hatfield-McCoy Trails system into Kanawha County for several years, Hardy said. The system is made up of more than 500 miles of trails for all-terrain vehicles, dirt bikes, hikers and horseback riding in nine southern West Virginia counties.

But Lusk said none of the existing trails are big enough to accommodate full-sized vehicles like Jeeps and Hummers. He said trail system planners think off-roaders are the next untapped resource of trail users, and predicts thousands of people a year will come to West Virginia just to use the trails.

"We just believe there's a big market for that," he said.

Lusk said the facility would need to be located within 20 miles of Charleston, because off-roaders will want to stay in area hotels and take advantage of area restaurants and shopping.

Lusk said the biggest obstacle to building the park would be finding enough land in the area.

"The closer you get to Charleston, the more scarce it gets," he said. "You've got to have anywhere from 7,000 to 10,000 contiguous acres.

"There's only a half-dozen sites [in the area] you could possibly look at," Lusk said.

Lusk said the most promising sites would be along Corridor G in the Alum Creek area, and along U.S. 60 and W.Va. 61 in the eastern part of the county. He said planners hope to pick a site, nail down funding and have the facility up and running within a year.

"It's the next project on the list for us," he said.

Lusk expects the park to cost between $150,000 and $200,000 to build.

The Hatfield-McCoy Trails system is currently the second-largest trail system in the country. Planners hope to eventually expand the system to include about 2,000 miles of trails.

Reach Rusty Marks at rustyma...@wvgazette.com or 304-348-1215."

http://www.wvgazette.com/News/201205220152

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    Eh, save some money and make them big enough for a TJ or CJ, who needs oversize Hummers getting stuck in the way anyways? Besides, they may scratch their fancy rimz!

On a serious note, that would be nice. I wish Ohio would use some of these old rail beds and label them as "Jeep" friendly.. The bicyclists and hikes have enough of them of their own.. I'd love to be able to go along some old rail lines in the CJ..

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
    Eh, save some money and make them big enough for a TJ or CJ, who needs oversize Hummers getting stuck in the way anyways? Besides, they may scratch their fancy rimz!

On a serious note, that would be nice. I wish Ohio would use some of these old rail beds and label them as "Jeep" friendly.. The bicyclists and hikes have enough of them of their own.. I'd love to be able to go along some old rail lines in the CJ..

Yes you are so right. It is hard to find good trails to ride.
    Lil Josey: 1998 Wrangler TJ, 4.5" lift , 285/70/17 Hercules Terra A/T tires, Dana44 &Dana30 3.73 gears both locked, Cold air Intake,
    4.0 L w/ 5 speed

Lil Susie: 1991 XJ Cherokee 3.5" lift, 31x10.50/15 BuckShots, K/N filter, 4.0 L Auto ( For Sale)

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Jr. Forum Member

Havent been on this site in awhile but I just seen this thread. This is happening right now. I have a good friend who is a part of this and H&M is cutting trails now and look to open this around spring time. This place has some very good trails and they are looking at adding more. I've heard that once this one is up and running they want to allow 4wds on all their trail systems.

Life Time Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Having both ATVs and a Jeep, I don't think it would be a good idea if they were on the same trails at the same time. It will only lead to problems.

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    It works at Black Mountain , Slade , Big Rock , Dirty Turtle, Haspin Acres, Rush Offroad , Superlift Offroad AND the Badlands. It should work in West by God Virgina also.
    CJ-7 114"WB
    307 TBI,D60 Detroit 35 spline ,14B Detroit and 4-linked , Twin sticked 203/205 doubler,
    with 465 4spd , H1s,42"TSL,
    O.D GREEN, Custom everything
    Money pitt Breaking and Repairing weekly

Life Time Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    They also ride together at Silver Lake State Park. It somewhat works there, only because it is wide open. I say somewhat, because inevitably you end up with a dirt bike or ATV sticking out of a FS vehicle.

So, works? That's subjective. It would not be my first choice to ride an ATV down the same trail as full sized vehicles anymore than I would want to ride a dirt bike down an ATV trail. I really do appreciate having the choice though.

A few years ago, we spent a weekend down in Gilbert, WV (a lovely cabin at the Twin Hollow Campground) and we rode the Rock House Trail System. You see all types of ATV's down there (at the time, SxS were just starting to become popular and legal on the trails). Some of the trails were very wet, some were challenging and some were fast.

There are a couple reasons I say they don't play well together. Full sized vehicles will leave full sized ruts that can be challenging and dangerous to ATV riders at speed. Second, potential collision problems with vehicles passing each other (ATV's and Jeeps roll along at much different speeds on the trail). Even if they are going the same direction, ATV's will want to get around and that is not always safe.

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Jr. Forum Member

Except for the roads back to the trails most of the places we spend our time on at Ivy 4 wheelers wont be going on.

FoundingFather, Treasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    This club has had quads try to ride along, but quads usually were darting between vehicles, always trying to get from the back of the pack to the front - nearly getting hit. Quaders are bored driving as slow as Jeeps do. Roy did a good job though - he started up front (most of the time, way out front), and stayed there all day. Quads riding with Jeeps/trucks is up to the trail-leader - persoanlly, I dont think the two should ride together, unless they ride like Roy.
    -Norm

Advisory Board Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I know Ive been wanting to try hitting IVY. This would be a nice setup for me to get there if they open it within a trail system. And from what I read about it, what intensebluetj said is how it will be. No quads will be on the actual truck trails.
    1988 Samurai: Yotas, 37 mtrs, 5.29s, locked f/r, dirty 30s, stretched to 105" wb, yj springs front, 3 link w/ airshocks in rear, m8000, yota tcase with 4.7s, and tube.
    1998 Nissan Frontier: someday be something
    1993 W250: Tow Rig. Ugly. Cummins
    1998 K2500: DD and Tow Rig
    and sometimes a lack of brains.. lol

Ohio4x4 Member Sr. Forum Member OffRoadOhio's Avatar
    If you are a truck/jeeper on a quad like me and roy yer usually pretty good. HNM's plans are for the fullsize trails to be so badass that quads CANT run then. But they havent met me. I always like having a quad in the group with its a BIG park becuase its easier and faster for the quad to go back to camp on parts/tools runs.

At harlan a few years bakc I took my quad all the way back to camp to get a TRANSMISSION.

The guys helping them set this up have esstablished MOST of the badass trails IVY has so we should have a really nice trail system.

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

I agree with Donnie. Somebody used to driving Jeeps/trucks on the trail tends to do better with riding a quad with fullsize vehicles because they know what to expect (a lot slower and sitting quite a bit more). Never had much trouble on the trails when running into groups of quads.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Thread Information