Thread: Killer Pheasant!

FoundingFather, Treasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Killer Pheasant!

Anyone ever hear of an 'attacking Pheasant'? Kevin was helping me with my Jeep when an attacking Pheasant appeared in my yard - we watched as it stepped closer and closer to us (like in a horror movie) - eventually it stepped into the garage, a couple feet away from us, then - I RAN!!! It must have thought "ahh - hes the fraidy-cat that I can dominate, so I will chase him" - and it chased me. It eventually stopped, and then I tried feeding it (with an empty hand). Maybe that ticked him off more, because it chased me more. It gave up again, then went after Kevin - it pecked Kevs boot, and Kev got a good kick in. My neighbors came out and said the bird has been chasing people (their kids) for the past week, and the other neighbor said he had his dog after it 10 days ago. I looked for a nest under most of the trees but saw nothing, so Im not sure if its trying to protect a nest (and young), or what. Maybe its just loco! Anyone hungry for some 'Ring-neck'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheasant
    -Norm

Sr. Forum Member
    Picture.
    -Norm

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Dinner!!!
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    You would think since he hasnt bought a truck or a new sami body, tires or anything Norm could afford to go to goodwill at least and buy a pair of pants that his legs wont fall out of. Maybe all that skin attracted the bird to him ?????
    2016 JK
    2015 CHEVY 2500 DURAMAX
    86 SAMI 36x12.5 swamper SX on beadlocks, toy axles, ARB in front, spartan locker in rear, fuel cell, 6.5:1 t-case, winch, homemade bumpers & sliders.

Life Members Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    i finally figured out how to get the crappy videos off my phone. they are funny, but in some oddball format. couldn't convert them to wmv, which i no longer see as an option anyway. b4 anyone whines about the kick, the bird started it (i was just standing there and he pecked me). it obviously didn't hurt it because it chased norm and his neighbors for a while afterwards.1111 011.jpg

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jfranz View Post
    You would think since he hasnt bought a truck or a new sami body, tires or anything Norm could afford to go to goodwill at least and buy a pair of pants that his legs wont fall out of. Maybe all that skin attracted the bird to him ?????
    Those were new jeans until the pheasant got ahold of Norm!

There was a pheasant farm not too far away from where I grew up. The pens were right along the road and in pretty poor shape, so flocks of pheasants were always around the road. They either were not too smart or suicidal because they would always run or fly in front of the cars and often cause damage. The local welder/fabricator who lived down the road got fed up after losing the 2nd or 3rd grill in his truck so built a Mad Max looking "pheasant catcher" on the front of the truck and would make it a point to take out as many as possible each time he went by, including running down into the ditch.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Sr. Forum Member
    (picture the Johnny Depp ‘run’, from his Pirate movies)
    Im running around my two acre front yard, being chased by a miniature Raptor from Jurasic Park – and Kevin is laughing his butt off, taking video. Kev said this reminded him of the Jurasic Park movie – then after he left, my neighbor said Pheasants have a sharp claw on their inner toe (?) – so, I have the Raptors of Jurasic Park popping back into my head, as the neighbor kids (8yr old boy and 10yr old girl) and I run for our lives. Im sure the bird was thinking of the many different ways it could can-open my gut with its toe-nail. Finally, the neighbor got his dog (after taking two dumps in my yard) to chase the bird, and the Pheasant fluttered into the treeline behind my house – probably waiting for its next victim to walk by the tall grass. After all the neighbors went home, I tried to finish some work on the Jeep – but I kept finding myself looking over my shoulder, at the open garage door - even though I was working with a drill and a sharp spinning cut-off wheel. Darkness hit, and Jeff Franz called – I didn’t want to be attacked while on the garage-phone, so I asked him to call me back after I locked-up and went into the house. I did reach the safety within my home without incident.

Kev, maybe you can send a video to one of those 'Facebook' literate people, and they can post it.
    -Norm

Ohio 4x4 Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Pheasant tastes like chicken.
    John T. Galajda
    '66 CJ5 Kaiser
    '98 XJ Stock

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    This is quality entertainment! Sorry he got your jeans, Norm. I'm just glad you guys are OK!
    -Joe
    2005 Pathfinder
    Tint, heated seats
    6 disc CD, 2 DVD

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    Agreed, glad to hear you're doing good, but I would be lying if I said this didn't make me chuckle. Though if I were in your shoes I would have been way worse off.

Sr. Forum Member
    Don't remember who I talked to about this incident - but here it is again. There was a picture of it attacking someones leg - but picture is gone.
    -Norm

Thread Information