Thread: Good lift kit?

Junior Member Jr. Forum Member

Good lift kit?

A friend asked me about lift kits for a new chevy 1/2 ton. Couldn't really tell him a whole lot since I am a toyota guy. Any suggestions? This wouldn't be for a hardcore trail rig. Also not looking for the cheap lift springs which feel like you've welded the axle right to the frame. I have experienced a vehicle which mounted the axles to the frame with rubber blocks.

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

"New" as in what year??? Most Chevy trucks that are '88 or newer are IFS and simply don't have leaf springs on the front, and expect to pay big money for a suspension lift.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Yes, new as in ifs. I think it is an '04

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

A majority of the IFS lift kits re-use the factory torsion bars (springs) and therefore the ride quality is unchanged. Expect to pay around $2,000 just for the lift and either quite a bit more for labor, or a long weekend if he installs it himself.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Thanks for the info. What about the rear springs? (no blocks)

I know from toyotas that some springs will give you lift and a very harsh ride in the back with no articulation. It is very apparent in those because the back is so light anyways.

I will preface this by saying I am by no means an expert, but --

I watch Trucks! and all those fun shows religiously, they always use Skyjacker or Fabtech. Prices for a GM look like around $1500-$2000 from what I've seen.

Forum Admin/Ohio 4x4 Life Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by R9R
    I watch Trucks! and all those fun shows religiously, they always use Skyjacker or Fabtech.
    Hmmm, I wonder if Skyjacker & Fabtech just might be sponsoring those shows....
    Steve
    98 RED TJ
    Web Wheeler

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers

Little things like that

Member Jr. Forum Member
    BDS, Skyjacker and Fabtech seem to be the most popular for IFS trucks. Like was mentioned before, they're around $1500-$2000 for a six inch set up. I was looking into lifting my F150 and it's going to cost upwards of $5K to get it done. That's including new wheels and 35" tires, along with new gears. If you're going to lift, spend the money and do it right.

Moderator Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Well Skyjacker is probably the cheapest and Fabtech could be on the other end of the spectrum as a very high quality kit. No clue though just guessing.

I don't have any experience with IFS lifts. I didn't bother to pay out that kinda money when I had IFS on my truck. If its an onroad truck and a nice one doing IFS lift becomes worth more. Other than that, yeah long weekend, but shouldn't be to big of a deal especially with things like impact wrenches.

Evan
    `92/79 Toyota Blazer 350 engine, TH 350/NP203, fullsize axles, 38.5" boggers, bed mounted John Deer radiator, onboard welder.

Army M35A2 "Duece and a Half" 6x6 cargo truck

Top Notch Motorsports Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

I've had luck w/ BDS and Skyjacker in the past, but I would say one of the best suspension systems would be Rubicon Express...do they only make stuff for Jeeps?
    Top Notch
    Motorsports, INC

Thread Information