Thread: My Pelotonia Ride

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

My Pelotonia Ride

Hey Trailriders!

I've decided to participate in a great experience. It will involve cycling for a great cause, and I'm posting here because I need your help.

Pelotonia is a grassroots bike tour with one goal: to end cancer. It is a cycling experience that will take place August 19th-21st. The ride will span two days and will cover as many as 180 miles. I plan to ride on the first day only, for 102 miles! I am writing to ask you to help me reach my fundraising goal (which is pretty hefty!) Large or small, every donation makes a difference. 100% of every donation will fund essential research at The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center - James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute.

We all know someone who has been affected by cancer. By supporting Pelotonia and me, you will help improve lives through innovations in research with the ultimate goal of winning the war against cancer. I would love to have your support. This truly is a unique opportunity to be a part of something special.

When you follow the link below, you will find my personal rider profile and a simple and secure way to make any size donation you wish. If I overshoot my fundraising goal all the money will still go to The James, but I can "share" my fundraising with my optometry peloton (our little riding group). We call ourselves "The Rolling Eyes," and our slogan is "Eye cycle for a cure."

Think of this as a donation not to me, or Pelotonia, but directly to The James. Please consider supporting my effort and this great cause. Here is the link to my rider profile: http://www.mypelotonia.org/riders_pr...emberID=125732

Thanks again!

If anyone cycles, maybe we can get a ride going. I have always like riding, but have never gotten serious about it, and I've never had a road bike before. I used the profits from my recent hardtop sale to buy an 18 speed Austro-Daimler Pathfinder A-D by Puch. It's old, and I'm not sure if I'm crazy or not...

I have yet to own a helmet, bike shorts, water bottles, etc...
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

LifeMember Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I know this doesnt help much but i work at Athens Bicycle in Athens OH where the peletonia ride ends, which would be a great place to check out before riding, we carry all the stuff youll need for that ol' steel steed. I dont have the authority to help you out on prices but will gladly help you find what you need.
    94 4runner SAS Elocked 35's "Fiona"
    97 F350 Powerstroke CCLB "Marge"
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member
    Appreciate the offer. If I make it down there before the ride I'll try to stop in.
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Sr. Forum Member
    Well the ride is tomorrow. I feel totally unprepared, and I'll probably die halfway there, but I managed to raise a lot of money for cancer research They say if you can do 2 30-mile rides in a week then you can do one 100 miler. We'll see...

I suppose I was bluffing when I posted that old steel bike, although I didn't know it at the time. I bought a much nicer and lighter bike since then. Pics later.

A sincere thanks goes out to Brad and Lori, as well as Freelin. They all donated money to my fund, and 100% goes directly to the James for cancer research. There are 4,965 riders, and we've raised 8.3 million dollars this year. It means a lot to me, as I have lost several loved ones to cancer, as I'm sure many of us have. I'm not usually much of a feelings guy, but this really gets to me. The ride is supposedly really emotional, with many cancer patients, survivors, and other people affected by the disease cheering us on. I hope I don't cry out all my hydration.

If you happen to see a lanky dude lying on the side of the road with his yellow bike tomorrow, just throw me in the back of the truck and take me to Athens so I can have a beer!

Again, thanks to those who've donated. I have met my fundraising goal of $650, but if you still want to donate to help end cancer, the link posted above will work until October 21. Keep an eye out for a trail report sometime next week when I learn to walk again to get to the computer!
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Sr. Forum Member
    Trail Report. haha

So here's the bike I did it on.

Aluminum frame, carbon fork, blah blah it was nice to not be on a steel bike. I never could have kept up with my friends. I had still had the lowest quality bike of the group. I ordered it online and put it together myself, then had a local bike shop tune it up and inspect it. Revolution Cycles on high street is awesome. They asked if I had any coupons, I said no, so they just gave me half off.

8/19/11
    Opening Ceremony. We go and register, get a wristband with out emergency contact info, a bike tag, name tag, etc. We also got a cool goodie bag with a water bottle sweatshirt, etc. Dinner is provided. I eat steak, red potatoes, penne, salad, green beans, 3 Sobe Lifewaters, one water, one dish of Velvet Ice cream, one sample of Bob Evan's new smoothies (which are great). We get some pics with those who made the ceremony at the same time.
    Mike, Adam and I with our goodie bags and Team Buckeye Jerseys.

Mike and I are proud to finally be able to fill out our shirt sleeves. Adam just laughs at us.

8/20/11

Woke up at 5:30 and chugged a Carnation instant breakfast and a glass of water. Rode 2 miles in the dark to meet with the Optometry Peleton:
    Adam - Carbon orange Specialized
    Mike - Flat Black Aluminum/carbon Trek
    Andrew- Black Aluminum/Carbon Cannondale
    Kaitlynn - girly mostly carbon something
    Joe - Yellow Aluminum/carbon Motobecane
    That was the 102 mile group.

Other notables Dr Mutti - 50ish year old dude, great optics professor. 180 mile rider
    Dr Zadnik - 50ish year old lady, Associate Dean of the College of Optometry, beat up face from recent bike crash in Boston
    Dr Delgado-Nixon - 40 year old miniature lady, great physio professor, bum knee and broken wrist in a cast, in need of surgery, 43 mile rider (although she's done 102 before). See pic, notice tip-toes

We rolled out from the chute about 7:00. Walked about 150 yards before all the riders were spread out enough to actually mount the bikes. Rode .5 miles, pit stop so Kaitlynn can lower her seat. Rode past my street at mile 4 on the odometer. I should have just joined the ride at this point! People all throughout Columbus are cheering for us in honor of loved ones who have/had cancer. Went down High street through part of downtown; Broad Street is the first street with enough traffic that the cops don't just let bikes go through. It would suck to be in a car and have to wait for a 5,000 bicycle parade to go by! Our group passes more bikers than we get passed by. We get barely outside of Columbus and stop at the first stop. 12ish miles. Adam leaves his bike unattended for the fist time since he got it in 2006. It's now light outside, so I exchange my glasses and put in my tinted contacts. I now look like a freak on cocaine; good for the energy, right? We eat some PBJ/fruit/chips/gatorade at each stop and refill our water bottles.

2nd leg: Sunglasses have to be removed because it's so foggy they need wipers. Adam seems upset that his fancy bike is wet. The ride seems easy and we pace ourselves around 18mph. The next stop is the finish line for the shortest Pelotonia ride. 23 miles I think. We snack, refill, pee, and move on. I realize that my contacts block all yellow. I thought the yellow Gatorade was water and someone looked at me like I was an idiot.

3rd leg: pretty far, and starting some small rolling hills. My right toes go numb. Apparently my clip-in shoes are pushing on a bad part of my foot. Oh well. Adam and I start complaining about the comfort of our seats. We were read for a break by the time we arrive in Amanda Ohio around 10:30 if I recall. 43ish miles? There are tons of supporters here since its another finish point. Dr Delgado-Nixon is already there, even though the short rides started well after the long rides. She says she averaged 20mph and didn't take a break. Beastly. She also notes my freaky eyes. We eat a little more here. Banana slathered in peanut butter, bag of chips, tons of Gatorade. This is already further than I've ever ridden, and we're almost halfway! We don't want to sit and let our legs rubberize though. Kaitlynn decides to break away from us to ride with her dad. His fellow riders weren't going to be going any further.

4th leg: My brain quit working, so things are all out of order at this point. The hills are getting slightly bigger, but not bad. At one point we were cruising down a slight hill and notice a near crash ahead of us. Somehow a man managed to get himself in a ditch with a steep bank and 12 inch grass, while still moving quickly. I would have hit the breaks and intentionally fallen away from the road, but this guy was a beast and decided to ride it out. I was sure he'd hit a bump and blow a tire, probably flip and break a few bones. No. He just manages to ride right back onto the road. Wow. As we pass him Adam and Mike make comments to him, and my comment is something like "Wow, that was extreme!" He looks over and smiles, and I realize it's Michael B Coleman, the Mayor of Columbus! I really wish I had a helmet camera... The ride continues and I seem to be relatively un-phased by the hills. Only one required standing. We get to a really scenic area with rock walls and lots of trees. Hocking Hills. Unfortunately this road was so bumpy that we had to watch it, not the scenery. We get to a rest stop and refuel. Andrew's parents are volunteering here and we meet and chat for a minute. They warn us about the famous Starner Hill we are about to climb. At this point I note that I have only been drinking half of a bottle of water between stops, and I dump one of my 2 bottles out to save weight.

Starner Hill: We're at mile 55 or so. Starner hill starts off alright, but immediately after the rest stop. I wish I had a mile to quit burping from all the food and drink at the rest stop. People made signs and put them all along the road at the beginning. "Steve, your knee doesn't hurt!" "Heaven awaits you at the top!" "You can do it" It was cool, until we got to a point where it must have been too hard to walk up, so the signs stopped. Then the hill steepened. Some people are already walking their bikes. Our goal is to stay on our bikes. I'm in gear 2 of 27. I get to the top. NOT! It plateaus for a minute, then turns and keeps going. I'm in gear 1, standing. Barely riding faster than those who are walking. I ask a guy lying on the side of the road if he's ok and he responds, "Yeah, I'm just not 21 like you!" I respond that "Hey, I'm 23!" and I keep riding. It plateaus again, I shift to 3 or 4. Back up we go. It sucks because you can never see the top because it's curvy. Mike and Adam have pulled away, and Andrew is a little behind me. I get to the top and wait for Andrew. He's there about 30 seconds later and tells me we're not done, so I hop back on and keep going. Now I'm mad at the hill, and confident I can beat it. I power up it, which is funny because when I breath really hard I can't help but sound like some moaning beast of an animal, and people around me look concerned. I get to the top (I think the hill was 3-4 miles) and there's a snow cone mobile. I get "Tiger Blood" flavored, without concern for what it tastes like. I assume the blood will get into mine and it will be like boosting, Lance Armstrong style. This isn't a race though so I'm not worried about EPO tests. As we regroup and get ready to head out we see Dr Mutti. Wow, he's twice our age and keeping up AND he's riding the 180 mile ride, which is 78 miles more the next day. We chat for a few minutes and wish each other luck. He doesn't try to keep up with us, but he catches up at each of the next 2 or 3 rest stops.

We ride on, the road gets busier. We are single file a lot more now, and cars are everywhere. We hit a couple decent hills. Mike and Adam hit 41 mph or so. I think I hit 37-38. On hill was pretty fast and then we a traffic jam of cars at the bottom, forcing the bikes to bottle neck, slow down, and ride to the right of the cars. Then some dummies on their bikes were in the way so I had to bail into a gravel pulloff to get around. That was the plan anyway, but it was real loose, squishy gravel and I aborted that plan and got off and walked around. We got to the Logan rest stop. I see "Athens 27 miles" at the intersection of Route 33, but we aren't taking that smooth, flat easy way.

We ride through Logan, getting stopped at every traffic light they have. We get to some pretty smooth road and Adam set pace around 19 I'd guess. If I draft him I can keep up. We take frequent pedaling breaks to stand up and get some penile blood flow back. It doesn't matter how comfy your seat and padded shorts are: after 80 miles, your taint hurts! I start to cramp, just ever so slightly. Adam's words are "Drink up." I drink up, and then drop my bottle, then haul ass to catch back up. Thankfully they got stopped at a traffic light, but that hustle was tough.

We take another rest stop. Supposedly there's one more big hill. In fear of my cramps getting worse, I drink til I want to puke. We start riding and I'm doing OK, but Andrew and I can;t quite keep Adam's pace. We get to what we thought was the big hill and I realize that I'm tired. Some people are chilling under a shade tree in random yard. Adam and Mike are there. We stop and drink more. I'm scared because after this stop I'm low on water, and we're probably midway between rest stops. I am feeling every one of the 87 degrees of heat. How much hotter is it on the road? We ride on, and Mike and Adam quickly pull away. When I get to the top of the hill a dad and two 10-12 year old boys are handing out waters at the end of their driveway. This was my favorite bottle of water of all time because of the comfort it gave me that I wouldn't run out, but they inform me that this wasn't the big hill. Crap.

Andrew and I push forward, riding along at a slightly slower pace, but doing OK. We get to the last big hill. They weren't kidding. It wasn't as steep as Starner Hill, but 40 miles later it seems just as hard. I'd say half the people walked it. I rode it in 1st, sometimes standing, sometimes sitting. I definitely had my grunt-breathing going on, and other bikers cheered me and another couple on. I got to the top and made a joke about the Huge Hocking College sign with literally no buildings in sight. It was "downhill" from there, as one motivational sign said. I got to the next rest stop and regrouped.

"12.68 miles to go, and it's all flat bike path." I was impressed at how true the flat part was. I didn't think that was possible in SE Ohio. I suppose it used to be a train track. Adam was yet again feeling beastly and set a 20 mph pace. I thought, "Damn, we'll be done in no time." Andrew slowly dropped off, then Mike (I think his leg was hurting). I Drafted Adam to keep up, and a random dude joined us, excited that this was the first time all day he had anyone to ride this fast with. A minute later he got tired and slowed. I thought we might be getting close, and then a family that lived on near the bike path posted a sign that said "Only 7 miles to go!" Woops. My legs were feeling the 20mph burn and Adam eventually left me in the dust. I shifted and slowed my pace, but it was pretty mental at this point. Once I slowed down a little, I wanted to slow down more. I knew I couldn't do that, so I didn't let myself shift anymore. The path had a few ripply stretches, which normally wouldn't matter. At that point those ripples were Hell. They beat me out of my pedaling rhythm and hurt my butt. I tried standing over some of the ripples to relieve my butt, but my legs couldn't hold me up; they would shake violently if I tried. I had to stop for a car once, no big deal right? Wrong. The extra inch I tried to lift my leg to clip back in sent me into a nasty cramp. I shook it out and pedaled on. I finally got to an exit branch of the bike path and veered off, thinking I was pretty close. I think the path went on for another mile before I was a building. Once I saw some campus buildings I felt like I could make it. My legs were uncontrollably weak, like when you wake up and can't move your arm. I somehow kept going. Finally I heard cheering, speakers, and cowbells, so I tried to finish strong. I happened to finish with no other riders near me, so it was pretty cool that everyone was cheering for me. I wanted to ride with no hands and wave to everyone, but I was too tired and I knew I'd fall, so I just smiled. Mike, Andrew, and Dr Mutti all finished within 10-15 minutes. Adam said he averaged 16mph, so I'm just behind that. Kaitlynn finished later, saying she kept a good 14mph pace, but waited for up to an hour for her dad at each stop.

I got off and hobbled around for 10 minutes. They were out of water cups and I had given my bike and bottles to some volunteers who would take it back to Columbus. I forced a banana muscle milk down and called a friend who lives in Athens and had a bag of clothes for me. She says "Oh great, let me tell you how to walk to my house!" I said "How far is it?" "Oh, it's walkable, probably 20 minutes." "You know I just rode 105 miles, right? How about you come pick me up." So she got me a ride, I showered and changed, and we walked back. There was an after party with free beer, wine, and food, and a concert. My original plan had been to stay in Athens and party for the night, but I was too tired to even chew my food. I did manage to eat a delicious burger and have a Mich Ultra (Lance Armstrong's beer). Then I boarded the shuttle and headed home. Taking time to show my bus-mates my sunburn.

Credit Nelsonville, Ohio for worst traffic management I've ever seen. It took us an hour to get through, due to Pelotonia Traffic, Homecoming Traffic, and a poorly timed traffic light. All we needed was for one stupid cop to get out and wave people through the light and we could have shaved an hour off the ride home. I saw the stupid cop, by the way, and he just patrolled the streets. I got off the bus, walked 100 feet to some bushes, literally took the longest pee of my life, and when I turned around the bus had moved almost one length! I did get a nice applause for that one, though. I got back to Columbus around 10pm and loaded my bike in a friends car. I was in bed by 10:30, the earliest since high school I'd guess.

This was definitely the biggest accomplishment of my summer, and in some aspects of my life. I personally raised $690 for cancer research, and the College of Optometry raised $5,779.89 total. Congrats to those who rode, and thanks to those who supported. Hope you enjoyed the read. Kaitlynn had her camera with her so I'll try to get some pics of the ride later!
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Excellent report, Joe!!
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Congrats Joe! Just reading this report made me tired..
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Sr. Forum Member
    Brad, is that because my report is so long, or because you are relating yourself to the experience?

About halfway through writing it I realized I could keep up with Roy-style write up. I know Ohio 4x4 probably doesn't care about all the details, but I figured this was a good place to refer my friends who wanted to read about the journey.
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Sr. Forum Member
    Here's a link to a short slideshow with lots of pics. I'm not in it (that I know of) but it gives an idea of how many people were involved!
    http://www.osu.edu/features/2011/postpelotonia
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHAKEnBLAKE View Post
    Brad, is that because my report is so long, or because you are relating yourself to the experience?

About halfway through writing it I realized I could keep up with Roy-style write up. I know Ohio 4x4 probably doesn't care about all the details, but I figured this was a good place to refer my friends who wanted to read about the journey.
    Relating to your experience!
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Jr. Forum Member

Nice report. Really good read. Thanks for sharing.

Hope to ride next year, gotta get my fat @ss on a bike now and start training and raising money
    2008 Rubicon Unlimited
    3" BDS Suspension Lift
    MT Classic II's and MT Baja MTZ's
    More future plans than the wallet can allow

Rowdy Jeepers
    Offroad Ohio

Sr. Forum Member
    Registration for 2012 Pelotonia has opened and has already raised $116,000! As of right now I plan to ride again this August, maybe the 180 miler! There is a new destination: Kenyon College, which is supposedly a Forbes-ranked most beautiful campus.

For anyone thinking there is no way they could do it, think again. I'll be honest, I'm not a fit person. Also, there are shorter rides for less extreme riders, and you can also volunteer to help if you are not a rider. We had almost 4,000 riders last year, from 38 states and 4 countries!

Look out for a 2012 thread. I'll try to document some more of my training this year, and of course I'll be asking for your donations
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Sr. Forum Member
    Good Luck Joe. I'll be donating this year
    Do the long long ride It's only a little longer than the TOSRV. It makes it a check the block event.
    '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 L Auto, 78 Dodge Dana 60/70 with 4.88 gears, ARB front, Lincoln locked rear, Dana 300 transfer case, 4 link upper triangulated front and rear, 4 inch lift, 38.5 boggers rear, TSL-SX front, tube fenders, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, 1.25" BBL, 1" MML, Warn M8000, fuel cell, custom drive shafts, belly up skidplate.
    '00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L, standard, dana 30/ dana 44 with chromoly axle shafts, ARB lockers front/rear, 35" tires
    '04 Chevy 2500 HD
    Tow Rig and farm truck

Administrator/Web Wheeler Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I'm thinking about doing it this year. A friend of mine that has gone through breast cancer treatment for the last few years is putting a team together and I may join hers. I'll have to get in shape too, though last year I was doing 22 mile rides about every other Sat. Joe, do you know if there are training routines or anything? When I trained for a marathon two years ago I stuck to one and I couldn't have done it without one.

Sr. Forum Member
    Sounds good man, I'd love to see you get involved. They say if you can ride 30 miles twice in one week, you can ride 100 in a day. I didn't quite get to two 30 milers . If you ran a marathon, this will be easy.

There are plenty of training routines. Do you mean groups to train with, or just a calendar of recommended workouts? Both exist.

Right now it's so early that the websites haven't posted any calendars. Right now you can check out some basic training info like stretches and "make sure you hydrate" typed info at these sites:

www.pelotonia.org

www.teambuckeye.osu.edu

Once they post some more detailed stuff I'll be sure to share a link.
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Administrator/Web Wheeler Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Mostly a schedule of workouts. I trained for the marathon by myself so training for this shouldn't be a problem, though I'm thinking about running a half this spring and maybe another full this fall. Training for both bike and run may be difficult. Heck, my bike it in the basement at this point and the farthest I've run was 2 miles, got some work to do.

Anyway, thanks. I'll start looking through things.

Thread Information