Thread: Bleeding the slave cylinder.

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member

Bleeding the slave cylinder.

Ok folks, whats hte trick to bleeding the hydralic slave cylinder for these clutches? Been tryin to bleed the one on my 2wd turbo ranger project for 3 days. I let it drip bleed, tapped the line to relase the air pockets, and even tried bleeding it like a brake system. Didnt work... any tips?

Junior Member Jr. Forum Member
    i have a f150 but it does have a hyd clutch, it took a long time to bleed this system, its just like brakes but you hold the pedel bout just a little bit down after pumping up to bleed, then an inch farther down and pump the hell out of it (and i do mean the hell out of it) and do it again, moving the holds down a little at a time. holding it to the floor and bleeding it doesnt do much, need to have the pressure built up which is where the little by little progrestion comes in. ther should be a bleeder valve on the tranny right where the hyd line meets the housing. i was stuck until i called my tranny buddys and they told me to do it this way. hope it works.

oh and i think i forgot to say, when your pumping the pedel.......you ONLY push down the pedel an inch. so little pumps basically. many little pumps an inch down and then hold the same inch down and bleed. do that 20 times and then go to 2in down pumps 20 times and bleed. then 3in then 4in and so on until your bout a half in. to an in away from the floor board. its a clutch so it doesnt have to really (bottom out). if your leg or who evers pumpings leg isnt jelly by the time your done you did it wrong. it takes a long time to do this and is a huge pain in the leg or ass! ha. i had no pedel until i bled it this way.

land rover central Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    i have used a veterinary syringe(large) to push fluid backwards in some hydraulic systems that i cannot get to bleed. porsche 944 clutch can be like this.
    Qt 3link, ARB in the back, 2 inch lift, 31 inch retreads, no anti sway bars, 5 speed,4.0 with D&D cam, 4.2 ECU, Bilstein 12 inch short bodies all around, radioactive winch, and a new roof rack.

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    i have a f150 but it does have a hyd clutch, it took a long time to bleed this system, its just like brakes but you hold the pedel bout just a little bit down after pumping up to bleed, then an inch farther down and pump the hell out of it (and i do mean the hell out of it) and do it again, moving the holds down a little at a time. holding it to the floor and bleeding it doesnt do much, need to have the pressure built up which is where the little by little progrestion comes in. ther should be a bleeder valve on the tranny right where the hyd line meets the housing. i was stuck until i called my tranny buddys and they told me to do it this way. hope it works.
    You do realize you are replying to 6 year old posts, don't you?
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

6 yrs oldyes but people still run into the same problems, i know i did.

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member
    The turbo ranger that went to scrap before I ever got the cluthc bled.

The bend in the hydraulic clutch line on the rangers tap air in certain parts. It's recommended to remove the entire master cylinder assembly and hold the MC pointing down to bleed.

Thread Information