Thread: DNR @ Quarry

Member Forum Member

DNR @ Quarry

I heard thay were there Memorial weekend running people off, i wanted to be sure before i made a post an yes indeed thay was checking paper work on trail rigs and making the ones leave that didnt have it and the ones that did were subject to a OSP safety inspection if thay still wanted to ride it. Reason being to much damage to land off to the sides of "main road/trail" and the state is in the works to turn it into a wildlife preserve. And thay will be checking it from time to time.This is from a friend who was there and left. I was hoping it was just alot of but it seams to be true thought i would let people know..........

Forum Admin/Ohio 4x4 Life Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Wow, that stinks. I better get the TJ running & fast, I guess.
    Steve
    98 RED TJ
    Web Wheeler

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Checking paper work? Like street legality?
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Member Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAKEnBLAKE View Post
    Checking paper work? Like street legality?
    licence,,,registration,,,insurance

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

The "legal" trail is a public road, so technically no different than running down any paved public road in the state.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

FoundingFather, xTreasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    The Southeastern-Buckeye club had their annual 'Memorial weekend' trailride at Marietta, and 2 of the 4 groups were stopped on the trail, and asked to show drivers-license, registration and proof-of-insurance. I never heard of anyone failing those 3 checks(and having to leave), nor did I hear of any vehicle inspections - but maybe I didnt get all the info. There was one spot, in the middle of all the trails, where the officers grouped - and I counted 6 vehicles there at that one time (Wildlife Officers, Wayne Forest people, and a game-warden). The 2 officers I saw were riding quads and wearing their uniforms, armor-vests and side-arms - they asked if I saw any quads running around, but that was all - they never asked for my paper-work (ie. my group was not checked). I didnt hear of any event-member getting any tickets.

This could start happening at TarHollow and Quarry. And, it could get worse everywhere (what would happen if a rig failed a vehicle inspection, if they started doing that?).
    -Norm

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member
    They give you a a ticket for "operating an unsafe vehicle" or some wording like that. A saftey inspection is to the officers discresion from what I read on ohio law ( although im no attorny) If the officer thinks it looks unsafe he can ticket you for such. The COULD get as picky as working emergancy brakes if they wanted to I am sure. Bumper hieghts and that stuff aswell.

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    As far as license and registration, it doesn't greatly concern me; I'll always be ok there. Unfortunately, I fear this is the first step of many. For example, very few people can pass a complete inspection. I'm currently without a horn, and I know many trail riders have windshield damage.

Is there anything we can do to help our cause without starting a battle, or should we lay low and let the law enforcement discourage law-breakers (mainly those riding off the designated trail) from riding there?
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Witty Comment Here Forum Member FUBAR's Avatar
    They're revenue generating. Don't look for it to end any time soon.

I used to boat/ski on the muskingum river around Beverly a few years back. Then the ODNR started patrolling the river and stopping everyone for safety checks. They would give you a sticker if you passed so you wouldn't get stopped again, but it was getting so that I would get stopped every freaking time even though I had the sticker. I never got a ticket, but I got completely disgusted with the hassles. I went on the water to ski, not waste a half hour showing the fawkers my anchor and orange oar. So I took my boat and went to WV waters to avoid the hassles. Too bad that Beverly businesses no longer get my money, it goes to WV businesses now.

86 CJ7 - 3/4 ton full width - SBC 350 - NV4500 - H1 rims - Eaton Elockers F/R

Life Time Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Hopefully this is just over patrolling due to the holiday weekend. If Quarry was closed for a nature preserve, that would be disappointing. Kind of like closing the old west.

I find it hard to believe actually, I thought the states have no money?

Member Jr. Forum Member
    i really hope the quarry dosent get shut down, i havent got to trail it yet, any more trips planed for the quarry?

Member Forum Member
    I live 5 miles from the quarry, and as mush as i luv to ride it i will not be going in there theres no way you can stay "on" the road/trail one end to the other, its not worth it to "me" to take a chance on tickets and possible impound my junk.

Member Jr. Forum Member
    pooooooie......feel ya on that

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    Fubar is right. It's called revenue enhancement. And it will only get worse.

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90toyota View Post
    I live 5 miles from the quarry, and as mush as i luv to ride it i will not be going in there theres no way you can stay "on" the road/trail one end to the other, its not worth it to "me" to take a chance on tickets and possible impound my junk.
    I bet you could stay within the legal right-of-way, or at least close enough where the ODNR couldn't (shouldn't?) hassle you any. I'm not trying to point you or any other person out by any means or be preachy, but in general it's just a matter of not blatantly going way off the "main" trail to bypass every water hole (ATV's are really bad about this, and technically are not legal to run on the trail anyway). I would tend to bet that most people could pick out the true legal right-of-way (is it 50' wide?) over the vast majority of the trail, though there are lots of places that people regularly bypass because of deep mudholes or other difficult obstacles.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Member Forum Member
    30',,,,,15' either side of center. When you get to the creek where does the legal road/trail go? left,,right,,across..... coming in from stone quarry rd off 50. When you at the far end at gravel rd, backtrack to bottom of the big hill does the legal road/trail go left up the hill or does it go right back to creek?
    Last edited by 90toyota; 06-28-2010 at 11:24 AM.

FoundingFather, xTreasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    It says youre in McArthur - you should visit the County Engineer at the courthouse, and let us know what he says - hes got more records on those roads than anyone else (I think). Ive met with him twice over the years - schedule a meeting with him.
    -Norm

Thread Information