Thread: '99 4runner - Almost too embarassed to post its non-modified pictures

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Jr. Forum Member

'99 4runner - Almost too embarassed to post its non-modified pictures

I went on the novice ride in April and loved it. Of course I came away with a case of tire envy. So I replaced the ratty street 265/70/16 (30.5") that are on a stock 4runner with 265/75/16 (32.5") Guard Dogs from Treadwright. I'm not expecting them to last more than 20-30K but did get 5 so I could rotate through and hopefully extend the life some. It was a fun feeling cutting away some of the front bumper to get rid of rubbing. Not too extreme compared to what anyone else on this site has done to their ride but it was fun for someone who has owned Camrys for the past 10 years. I forgot to consider if the spare tire would fit the stock location so I now have it strapped to the roof since it took up too much space in the back cargo area.

I do have a list of things I want to do to the vehicle in the next six months.

-A buddy has a 1" suspension lift from his 2000 4runner that he is giving me.
    -removing the carpet and herculinering the interior
    -putting in dual batteries so one can power an inverter
    -build a cargo rack of some sort to hold the spare without it being directly on the roof - like this site http://www.4wheelnoffroad.com/04cargo.html
    -build a storage unit like this one http://yotatech.com/f129/skyrat-s-re...4runner-76673/

eventually replacing the rear and front bumpers but that's a long way off

feel free to comment and I'll see you in June
    Attached Images Attached Images

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    Cool. I like it. The world needs more "real life" rigs!
    '02 TJ 2.5l 5-speed, "Red"
    '98 XJ 4.0l Auto, "Black Dog"
    '95 XJ 4.0l Auto, "Slimer"

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Jr. Forum Member

I do have to keep it fairly "real life" since it is my daily driver and I still drive a fair amount (15K-20K) a year. I did forget to add that I would like to eventually add lockers to it too. Toyota made some of the 4runners with factory lockers and I've seen a few articles on how to switch out a the non-locked with the factory locked rear end. It's probably too much of a task for me, but we'll see in about a year.

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Just do a lot of research (and acquire a lot of tools) and you'll be doing stuff you never thought you could! I've always liked 4-runners, yours looks real nice. It's a yota though, better rust-proof that body!
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Jr. Forum Member

Ok. So what do you do to rust proof the body and/or the under body?

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    IDK, but I just know that every 4-runner in Ohio gets rust above the rear wheels by the time it's 10 years old. You could have it zeibart undercoated?? I'd check on some toyota forums too. Because it's a common problem I bet you can find some good tips on avoiding it.
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Jr. Forum Member

I took my new tires on the trail ride today at tar hollow. I did Albright road again but with the new tires. What I didn't account for was rubbing you get while offroad versus street driving. I spent a while cleaning up afterwards and didn't spend any time investigating the location of the rubbing on the rear tires. The front tires only rub on the driver side when I turn to the left and compress the driver side spring. At the break, a few folks suggested doing a little trim work for the fender/pinch weld on the rear of the front wheel wells, but I think I'll check out the Toyota forums to see what other folks have done. I'd like to see how much rubbing there is when I replace the suspension. Not even a lift but just new coils/shocks to get the whole ride back to even. There's a driver side sag that results in there being an inch difference between passenger/driver. Oh well. Picture one is of Norm's rear end (jeep) which is what I looked at for a few hours today. The other picture is at the stream crossing before taking off to head home. There was part that was slightly deeper but this is still a fun shot for me. Future modification will be an extension of the rear diff breather port. Currently, the diff has a small breather port at the top of it that allows water in if submerged. Apparently it's what 3rd gen 4runner's all have (maybe not the e-locked ones since I think they have a different housing. Anyway, you take a port plug and screw it into the port and extend it with a tube to opening next to the fuel tank fill location. The other lesson learned is that you can never secure stuff too much in the back of the vehicle. I threw my spare into the back and thought it was secure but the tie-downs loosend due to operator error. I was worried that the rear window was going to get broken. Maybe that's me being a nancy, but it kept kicking it pretty hard while we went back and forth over the rocks. I'm gonna build a cheap roof rack out of unistrut to secure it to and to keep the weight off the roof. That should solve the tire problem. Next offroading trip - Colorado!

Behind Norm Clark.jpg End of Day Shot.jpg

Member Jr. Forum Member
    i rember seeing you on the trail at the novice ride anf for the tires you had at the time you did great, ive always been a yoder guy and always said toyota is king and you just help proved that, glad to see its being treated right and hope to see you on the trail again.........miss my 88 runner

Life Members Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Not even a lift but just new coils/shocks to get the whole ride back to even.

fyi, toyota has a recall on 4runner rear springs. however i think yours may be too new to qualify. i'd call a stealership to make sure. if u buy new coils yourself and are just going to throw away the old ones, i'd like to take them off your hands for a possible future project that will never get done in reality.
    i attached a couple pics to warm u up for your colorado trip. they are of the ouray/telluride area
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Jr. Forum Member

Sure thing. I might have an extra set too. My wife also has a 3rd gen 4runner that is tilted by an 1" to the driver side too.

Thread Information