Thread: Ohio State feels a lot less safe lately

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Angry Ohio State feels a lot less safe lately

For those of you who haven't heard, OSU has had two (2) rapes, one attempted robbery at knifepoint, and a shooting causing two deaths and and a third injury. This was all within the past 10 days. You can read all about it at the lantern, cnn, youtube, etc...

CNN:
    E-mail alerts were sent to students warning them about the shooting, the university said.
    Police:
    Students are allowed to choose if they want to receive the e-mail alerts. On the campus of 50,000-plus students, a little more than 2,600 people receive the e-mails
    I thought that I was signed up for these emails, although it's a slow way to announce emergencies considering the university has the capability of texting everyone. The only crime that I received telephone notification of was the recent shooting. I got a computerized voicemail at 4 in the morning, which I happily slept through...

Here's a little running monologue I have with the Director of Safety. I thought it might interest some people.

Me, Thursday March 4th, 12:59 AM:
    It is 1 AM thursday and I am just now hearing from a friend about a rape that occurred on MONDAY right outside the building I'm currently studying in. That is unacceptable. You need to be firing whoever was in charge of the buckeye alert, because I was signed up for that and never heard anything (nor did anyone else). I have since signed up again (not that it is guaranteed to do anything...)

Also, on your website's contact list http://dps.osu.edu/contacts/ your email address is difficult to access, because many people don;t have outlook, so clicking on the link doesn't work. please change that so that people can more easily contact you, unless you don't care.
    Thanks
    -Joseph Blake
    Lately I've been seriously wondering how some stupid people like my advisor and the head of my major get such well-paying jobs. Then ole Vernon replies and I seriously wonder what he's like in person.

Vernon Baisden ( baisden.14@dps.ohio-state.edu ) Tuesday March 9th 8:14 PM
    Jason, we have reviewed our records. You did not receive an alert because you have not signed up for the ?crime alerts?. You are however signed up for the ?Buckeye Alert Notice?. If you wish to receive crime alerts, please feel free to go to the Dept of Public Safety home page -- go to crime alert and follow the instructions to sign up. It will only take a moment. Please let me know if you have any other questions. vb
    Me, Friday March 10, 12:56 AM,
    Vern,
    First of All, I'm Joe, not Jason. I hope that mistake means you are busy.
    Secondly, I think that you and your department need to do a much better job of clarifying that the crime alerts are separate from other alerts. When I signed up for one, I was under the impression that I would be notified of crimes.
    Here's how it SHOULD work (not how I THINK it should work):
    EVERYONE SHOULD BE NOTIFIED OF ALL VIOLENT CRIMES THAT ARE REPORTED TO POLICE. THIS INCLUDE ALLEGED RAPES AND ATTACKS WITH KNIVES, AS WELL AS SHOOTINGS.
    I feel much more threatened by someone (who is still out there) with a knife robbing students than a suspected shooter (who seems to have shot people he already knew) who has been detained, but I never received a "buckeye alert notice" about the rapes or attempted robbery.

I strongly encourage a policy change that would alert all faculty, staff, and students of such serious crimes. After the past week or so you shouldn't have a problem enacting that change. If you do, hire me and I'll do it.
    What if we had a Virginia Tech style shooter sniping away on the oval? Do YOU, "vb" as you call yourself, want to go on national TV and say "well all those dummies who died didn't sign up for the correct alert"? I doubt it.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

-JOSEPH BLAKE
    I can get fired up at times.
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Sr. Forum Member
    is it just me or is the site a little out of whack today?
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Jason....er Joe,

Two words.....

Concealed Carry.

That and be aware of your surroundings. Now that I have kids I pay pretty close attention to my surroundings. If we go out to eat, I sit where I can see the exits. ( I don't make a huge deal out of it, but am just "aware") When I am driving and pull up to a stop light, I leave about 4 foot in front of my bumper to the next car in case I need to make a hasty exit. I also pay attention to my rear view mirrors when stopped. I'm not all "Barney Fife" hyped up, just try to be "aware" of my surroundings. I just try and pay attention in a casual manner. I believe your best defense is "awareness" (notice how I have used that word several times?). If you see something happening you have more time to process a response than if you walk into it clueless and caught off guard.

Hope things calm down over there. That said, I look for crime to begin picking up over the next several years. It's a likely result of tough times that are on the horizon. (And no, our politicians have not fixed the current economic crisis....they have only bandaided it over and bought some more time...Unfortunately, it leaves us in an even more vulnerable spot as to regards to our economy.)
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Junior Member Forum Newbie HutchNStuff's Avatar
    Good to see you speaking out on behalf of all OSU students! I'm positive you are not alone. And WTF with hime calling you Jason?!?! Professional...
    "Jolene", 88 YJ 2" lift w/ 33's , and an '89 YJ 3.5" lift and 33's

Sr. Forum Member
    Vernon Baisden March 10 5:13 AM, CC to someone else in his department:
    Good Morning Joe, sorry about the typo. Your suggestions have been noted. Have a good day.
    Well, I assume that sending my email suggestions to someone else is his way of "noting" them. Whether my comments ever do anything, who knows? I have noticed that this guy doesn't seem to leave work. He has emailed me as late as 8 PM and as early as 5 AM.

Steve, every time something like this happens I just wonder how things would be different if the victim was packin'. Chances are half of these crimes would never be considered...
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Back in the day in one of my college classes we had to do a presentation and I did one regarding the positive side of conceal carry and the potential to reduce crime. Seems like you rarely see the positive side of the story on the news (bad guy breaks into house and gets shot), it's always the other way around.

I personally know two people who prevented becoming a victim of a mugging, or possibly worse, because they were armed. In both cases the criminal told them to pull out their wallets, but they pulled a gun instead and the bad guys went running.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Sr. Forum Member
    For years now I have worried for the saftey of friends and family that live in big cities. Thinking I live out in the country away from all the crime. This past summer my house was broken into,the guy went thru every cabinet, drawer and closet in my house. Took 2 guns and a 4-wheeler. Gives you a real sick feeling inside. Really glad my kids and I were not home, this guy was wanted for arson and murder. Since this event I have gotten my concealed carry permit. Never leave home without my gun. Its sad that it has come to this but I do feel a little safer.
    I HOPE I NEVER HAVE TO USE IT. OH they did catch the bad guy. In jail for a long time.
    JEFF
    2018 JK
    2015 CHEVY 2500 DURAMAX
    86 SAMI 36x12.5 swamper SX on bead locks, toy axles, ARB in front, spartan locker in rear, propane conversion, 6.5:1 t-case, winch, homemade bumpers & sliders.

Administrator/Web Wheeler Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAKEnBLAKE View Post
    is it just me or is the site a little out of whack today?
    Ya, I've been playing with the template to fix thing and messed other parts up. hope to get it fixed soon.

Thread Information