Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Project No-Lift YJ

(.)(.) Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Thanks, it definitely climbs hills better in that it handles off-camber situations much more gracefully. I feel like I can put the Jeep in more situations without the worry of rolling it.

The only real bad thing with the setup right now is the skid plate. It's the stock one, and there are ridges and holes in it from the factory that make it not so "skiddy". I have a new flatter skid planned for this summer. This should make a pretty significant difference in the rock gardens.
    -Brent
    '89 YJ - 4.0L/AW4/231/HP60/60/37's

(.)(.) Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I've been wrenching on the Jeep again as of late.. actually, more like cancer surgery, so I figured I would update the thread. I discovered that the Jeep was developing numerous rust regions, in particular, the corners behind the doors in the floor, the rockers, the rear frame cross-member, the rear corners, and the windshield. I stripped the Jeep down and began the surgery.

I ordered a new windshield frame, which should be here this week. I also picked up a set of YJ half doors for around $100, which are now installed. My plan for the rockers is to not reuse the Warn rockers, but rather build my own. The Warn ones accelerated the rust of the rockers because they created a small space between the sheet metal and rocker for mud to live, which results in rust. As a matter of fact, any space that mud can permanently attach to will rust. Since I have lost so much of the sheet metal, my plan is to buy some rectangular box tubing (3/16") and integrate it in the body. I'll then weld it to the existing sheet metal and add reinforcements from there. It should look pretty stock, but incredibly strong, when done.

Hoping to have this done by summer. The Jeep will also be getting a fresh coat of paint too. Color is still TBD, but I am leaning toward Amber Fire (copper color) or Surf Blue (2010 JK color).

I'm not sure why I can't link to Picasa photos anymore, so I am posting a link to my album for now.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11083...JbV-JzWwMbMkAE
    -Brent

Administrator/Web Wheeler Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I was actually thinking of doing something very simular since my Jeep has some spots of rust above the rockers. I think my though process is the same. I'd like to make a small step since I sem to use my existing tube rockers quite a bit to stand on for things, but taking those off and building them out about 4 inches form the rocker panel for both protection and steps. i'd like to do mine this summer so maybe we can compair notes as we build them. Do you have a good place for the steel?

FoundingFather, xTreasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    'Columbus Pipe & Equip'(south side of Columbus) is where I buy angle-iron, tube, sqr-tube, plate, etc. But I do not think they have D.O.M.(eg. rollbar tube), so for that I go to 'Tubular Techniques'(west side of Columbus).
    -Norm

(.)(.) Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I've been making some progress on this. I'll post some pic updates in a week or so. The rear frame and rear frame cross-member are now fully rebuilt. So much friggin rust on this thing, sucks, but I'm fixing it right.

BR, I bought my steel from Columbus Pipe. I mainly bought 3/16" plate and some angle.

I also recently acquired a bike, so I'll be doing some riding soon.
    -Brent

(.)(.) Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I still can't figure out how to link to specific photos in Google+, so once again, here is the album link with new photos:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11083...JbV-JzWwMbMkAE

I've put in a couple days recently on the Jeep. I really want to get this thing done by Fall so that I can go on some rides soon. So far, here is the work accomplished:
    - replaced rear frame, cross-member, and bumper with new steel.
    - replaced gas tank skid plate (again, rust)
    - addressed rust issues on tailgate
    - replaced front fenders (old ones were GONE)
    - painted new windshield frame (old one was severely rusted) and installed glass

Still TODO:
    - install windshield on Jeep
    - fix body tub rust areas around lower body floor
    - modify and install corner guards
    - fix a couple of body mounts

It's getting there.
    -Brent

(.)(.) Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    New windshield installed, PITA I might add.

photo.JPG
    -Brent

Thread Information