Thread: Possible new project trail rig

Junior Member Forum Newbie

Possible new project trail rig

I have the chance to get a FREE 94 Jimmy 4x4, 4.3 I think. As far as I know it runs ok (high mi.) and 4wd works. Lift kits are expensive for some reason at Summit, but the body lift kits are less than $100. Anyone have any tips on installing the body lift or pros and cons on them? I figured a body lift and good tires to start with, then decide from there what I need to mod. I don't want to put time and money into something that gets stuck constantly or thats too expensive to make trail worthy, but I also don't want to play in my truck much longer. I am looking for any input on whether or not the Jimmy is worth turning into a project. Thanks, Dano
    Favazzo Lawn Care & Snow Removal
    Alliance, Oh
    (330)206-5887

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Suspension lift kits for S-10's are expensive because they have IFS (independent front suspension) and thus is rather complicated to lift. Not only is the lift kit itself expensive, but it much more involved to install (meaning quite a bit of time for the shadetree mechanic, or pretty expensive for a shop to do it). The other reason is S-10 lifts have prettly low quantities out there which makes them more expensive.

A 4.3 powered S-10 has a decent foundation for an off-road rig until you get to the axles and front suspension. There have been several in the club over the years and if you stay with maybe 31" tires and mild off-roading they seem to do fine. However again, the front suspension is pretty complex and rather expensive to simply rebuild or replace worn out components.

But hey, the price is right!
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I agree with Brad, here.

Imo, an S-10 can be a great entry level rig for 31's and under. Anything past that and you start to get into a lot of money and/or work.

Personally, I would keep your eye out for a Jeep with a solid front axle....A toyota pickup with solid front axle....samurai....etc. Those can be built relatively inexpensively to run a 33" to 35" tire.

Anything with IFS front will limit you initially or require you to spend a good bit more time and money than a similiar type rig with solid front axle.

Steve
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Witty Comment Here Forum Member FUBAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Suspension lift kits for S-10's are expensive because they have IFS (insufficient front suspension) and thus is rather complicated to lift. !
    Fixed it for ya

86 CJ7 - 3/4 ton full width - SBC 350 - NV4500 - H1 rims - Eaton Elockers F/R

I have been searching for a full size Blazer, pickup, etc to turn into a trail rig with solid front axles. The Free price tag on this Jimmy is really the only reason I am considering it. I basically want to figure out if its a waste of time or not. I don't want to sink a bunch of money into something I plan to beat on, so the price is perfect BUT is it worth the time and cost of body lift and tires for what I want to use it for? I have been using my stock Super Duty. I have decent clearance, plenty of power and 32" tires and I don't want to put work into a project to have something alot less capable than my truck.
    Alliance, Oh
    (330)206-5887

Witty Comment Here Forum Member FUBAR's Avatar
    Well, I've got a very capable rig. But I sure didn't buy it that way. It took a few years....like about 5. And it took about...gawd I don't want to count the money I've spent.

86 CJ7 - 3/4 ton full width - SBC 350 - NV4500 - H1 rims - Eaton Elockers F/R

Advisory Board Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Yeah if you weld the rear use a body lift and cut/ beat fenderwells for 31 inch tire clearance it will make a decent light duty wheeler. But like they have all said anything more than that is a lot of work.. I run an 86 s10 blazer.. I straight axle it with half ton ford axles, locked front and rear, on 35s. It works well now, but it did require quite a bit of work and $$ and it still changing all the time. But I do wish I had the 4.3 power plant the jimmy has in mine, would make the rig that much better lol.
    1988 Samurai Truggy: yotas, locked, linked 4Ds
    2003 WJ: 6.5" long arm and 33s
    2004 F350: Tow Rig: 6.0, 6 speed on 20s and 33" wildpeaks

Member Forum Member
    For that kind of money, you should at least be able to play with it a little bit and see how you like it. If it doesn't work out, just sell it and get your money back, or possibly more. The solid axle conversion route sounds fun though.
    -Andy
    Suburbans, K5 Blazers and pickups. And other random junk.

OOPS! I just looked up some info on this Jimmy and figured out it must be a 95. I couldn't remember the year, 94 stuck in my head, but its the newer body style. From what I could tell, engine wise anyway, it seems it could be better for me. The hp ratings increased from 160 to 195 in 1995 according to site I read. I will just have to take a look at it when I get it. The body lift is around $150 at Summit, so I am thinking body lift and trim to fit bigger tires. What would it take to fit a 265/75/16 (32") on the Jimmy? If I could fit them on the Jimmy, that's the same as my truck and if the Jimmy dies I could still use them.
    Alliance, Oh
    (330)206-5887

Thread Information