Thread: Winch discussion

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Winch discussion

Since the board has been DEAD recently I decided to post something to maybe spur some conversation.

Topic #1 = winches

Let's talk aobut what type of winch you have, reviews, experiences, tips & tricks.

I have a Ramsey Pro Plus 9000 that I bought new back around '99 (display model at a truck show that I got cheap). It sat in the garage for several years before I finally got it mounted and now spends a lot of time sitting outside on the vehicle unused.

Generic picture from the web:

This shouldn't be an issue if you bought it new and started using it right away, but I have had some issues with it intermittently not working which I found to be caused by some corrosion in the motor presumably from sitting around. Cleaning it out corrected the issue.

Power:
    When working, the 9,000 lb. capacity has never had an issue pulling my 6,000 lb. + Blazer on a single line (I've had a snatch block in the tool box for years and it has never been used). Never had the Blazer really stuck, such as buried in a mudhole, but it has pulled it up some steep hills including one in Tar Hollow where the axles were bottomed out on a soft muddy hill.

Line Speed:
    Speed seems decent. Definitely not as fast as some of the high speed Warn's out there, but sufficient. The one thing I like is that the response is immediate...meaning when you let off the remote button the drum immediately stops. I've seen some of the high speed winches run in another 2' of cable after you let off the switch.

Remote:
    The design of the remote switches are just okay, not as nice as some of the other brands/models.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Moderator/Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Model: Milemarker 12,000 electric
    Purchased: Summer 2004
    Picture:

Why did I buy it: Like many things I buy, it was "big & cheap." I believe it cost $599 at the time...nowdays cheap winches seem to be cheaper than they were five years ago. "Big & cheap" isn't always a good idea, but that is why I bought it.
    Line speed: NVF...Not very fast
    Power: No reason to doubt the rating of 12K (on a short pull)
    Remote: Worked until 2008...it was cheap plastic...I've since bought a HD universal aftermarket unit meant for a dump truck.
    Pros: Cheap, fairly light (95-ish lbs) for the rating, and it has a heavy duty 3/8" cable....cable is rated for over 14,000 lbs...less likely to snap.
    Cons: As is often the case, you get what you pay for. I burnt up the motor shortly after I bought it. Details are here: http://ohio4x4.fourwardmomentum.com/...ght=milemarker

Since then, (4 years of wheeling...2005, 2006, 2007, 2008...I haven't done shiznit this year) it has been reliable and worked when I needed it to work. My single largest complaint with it---the drum area is too small for the 100' of 3/8" cable. Any kind of (lengthy) side pull causes the cable to bind up in the limited space. The slow speed isn't that big of a deal to me because I rarely need to winch. With that said, see the summary below.

Summary: IMO, winching over an obstacle doesn't equate to "conquering the obstacle." If I can't drive over something, I'll nearly always admit defeat and go another route. The winch should be used as a last resort...IE when stuck. I will say that the time I needed it the most was in 2005 when Buford's heavy arse was lying on it's side in a narrow ravine on the Clay's Hollow trail.

I questioned the winch's relibility before I spooled out the cable. The engine obviously wasn't running, and I needed to drag the pile several feet (on it's side) before there was any room to attempt to get it upright again. The winch worked as it should, pulling a heavy, dead truck lying on it's side out of the mess. Again, since the motor failure at the end of 2004, it has done it's job...for what it is. Also, it is worth mentioning that Buford (and the winch) have been garaged nearly 100% of the time when not in use....vs. Brad's winch that has been exposed to the elements more often.

With that said, if I ran trails that required constant winching, I'd spend more $$ on a higher quality winch. If I were spending well over $1000 on a new winch, I'd most likely buy a Warn 15K or 16.5K.
    Last edited by Roy; 07-31-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Added picture(s)
    Large: 1978 Ford F-250
    469 V-8: 340 HP, 525 TQ
    C6, NP-205, 4.10's, 42" TSL's on 15x8's
    D60: Detroit, 35 spline Alloy Shafts w/ Longfield Superjoints, Dedenbear Knuckles, Drive Flanges.
    1410 Driveshafts, D70-U Welded, 12K Winch, OBA.

Small: 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4

Lifer Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member

I picked up a warn 9000 lb winch in 1999. I through on synthetic rope sometime in the 2000's, I really don't remember. The rope is nice because it is light and easy to toss around. The rope sucks because it tends to undercut the spool if not spooled tight and requires more care and maintenance.

I carry a couple of snatch blocks, tree saver, various straps, Drings, and chains.

There have been several trips where my winch received an all day workout. The one that stands out is a trip to Haspin Acrees in January. It started out by winching the trail leader up this little hill first thing in the ride. He then convinced me to try it since I had "swampers". Well, I ended up having to find a different route up and had to carry my rope up the hill then self winch.

Latter that day, I buried my right rear tire in some nasty, thick, mud. Winched 3 or 4 stockish jeeps up the Devils backbone bypass, then righting the rolled jeep then winching it the hill.

The winch pretty much ran all day and did not let me down.

There was a time or two that I needed the rope and because I did not spool it correctly, I could not get it to come out without tying off the rope then backing the jeep up.

I'd probably do the warn and rope all over again if I had to. I have thought about a 12000 lb or 8274 winch every once in a while, but mine has not let me down, yet.

-- mike

Life Members Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Forum Newbie

JP Magazine Affordable Winch Review

I don't have a winch yet, but I figured I would point out an article in the July issue of JP magazine along these lines ("The Affordable Winch Review" page 32). They reviewed a bunch of affordable winches (Black Mountain, Bulldog, Chicago Electric, Gorilla, Mile Marker, Smittybuilt, and Tabor). There are actually a few that look interesting (Black Mountain BM 8000S for $329.95, Mile Marker PEC8 for $409.99, and Smittybuilt XRC 8 for $299.99). It looks like the biggest complaint about cheap winches is either line speed or noise. They also had big complaints about the Bulldog and Gorilla winches freespooling backwards when the clutch was disengaged.

At least for someone on a tight budget (from the wife), I found the article pretty informative.

Todd

Advisory Board Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Let see we started with a Mile Marker E8000 when they first came out.. It has always served its purpose. has the plastic slide clutch engagement. It is slow and the 3/8 cable is junk.(Hear this is the case on most the cheap winches, such as SMittybuilt, MM, Chicago). The push button control as Roy say is cheaply made and sucks. But the winch always got us out, and only thing we ever do is every now and then pull it apart and lube everything up and reassemble (do to all out winches).

Roger has a Harbor Freight Chicago winch. It is identical to a milemarker E8000. I looked specs over and everything. Only difference is the sticker and the solienod control box and control button are different plug variation..

I have a Warn M8000. The cable is much nicer and a lot higher quality than the mile marker cable. (Mile marker cable is very stiff cheap cable..). The metal clutch engagement lever feels beefier (and i am sure it is) but with my winch mount it a pain to get too. (probably not a porblem on most peoples rigs). The speed is nice, especially when respooling the winch. I do not like how the winch keeps going for about a foot after letting off the switch. And i love the control switch. It seems reliable and it doesnt kill your finger using it..

My 2 cents lol..
    1988 Samurai Truggy: yotas, locked, linked 4Ds
    2003 WJ: 6.5" long arm and 33s
    2004 F350: Tow Rig: 6.0, 6 speed on 20s and 33" wildpeaks

Sr. Forum Member
    I added two pictures to my original post. A buddy from another site posted these a couple days ago...I didn't have them & thought they were long gone. They brought back memories!
    D60: Detroit, 35 spline Alloy Shafts w/ Longfield Superjoints, Dedenbear Knuckles, Drive Flanges.

Forum Admin/Ohio 4x4 Life Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Warn 8274 (old-school, not the -50). Actually says "Jeep Original Equipment" on it. Got it off eBay for $500. Another $100 or so for the mount plate, and I forget how much the synthetic line was (Mike S. & I got in on a group buy together) -- the steel cable that was on it appeared in fair condition, but I don't like the idea of used line, especially not knowing how old it was, and I do like how synthetic line just falls to the ground if it breaks (vs. steel cable snapping & whipping about, potentially injuring/killing someone).

I have a snatchblock, forget what brand, might be ARB. Several D-rings, some chain, a tree saver or two, and gloves. :D Oh, I also got an aluminum hawse fairlead for the synth line, since I was under the impression at the time that a roller fairlead was a bad idea. I've since learned that was an internet myth, so I may at some point get a good roller fairlead.

I ran into the "undercutting" issue Mike mentions with my synthetic line also, but ever since I completely unspooled it, hooked up to a solid tree, and backed up (to the point of jerking the Jeep to a stop at the end of the line, several times) to stretch it out, I haven't had that problem any more.

I got the 8274 after watching Lambert winch almost an entire group through a spot on Quarry years ago with his, on his little Willys. It just kept on going, no complaints, and with plenty of speed.

Only issue I have with it is that it severely limits front bumper choices (vs. a traditional style winch), but I can live with it, especially for the price I paid for it. I do need a new cable for the handheld controls, but I have in-cab switches also & so it's not urgent.
    Last edited by AB8JC; 07-31-2009 at 05:06 PM.
    Steve
    98 RED TJ
    Web Wheeler

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Model: Milemarker 12,000 electric
    Purchased: Summer 2004
    Picture:

I will say that the time I needed it the most was in 2005 when Buford's heavy arse was lying on it's side in a narrow ravine on the Clay's Hollow trail.

I questioned the winch's relibility before I spooled out the cable. The engine obviously wasn't running, and I needed to drag the pile several feet (on it's side) before there was any room to attempt to get it upright again. The winch worked as it should, pulling a heavy, dead truck lying on it's side out of the mess. Again, since the motor failure at the end of 2004, it has done it's job...for what it is. Also, it is worth mentioning that Buford (and the winch) have been garaged nearly 100% of the time when not in use....vs. Brad's winch that has been exposed to the elements more often.
    Good ol' Clay's Hollow in Wellsville. I would like to run this again sometime. This is the only trail I have been on that required a winch to complete (though the exit hill out of the valley might have been doable if dry). If I have time later I will post some more pics of this.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Sr. Forum Member
    Cool. The guy in the black shirt in the bottom picture looks familiar.....

Jamie had a good picture of me standing beside the tailgate (with the truck on it's side). He may have given me an actual photograph of it years ago...if I can ever find it, I'll scan it.

Witty Comment Here Forum Member FUBAR's Avatar
    I have a tabor 9K. Only pulled with it once but it did great.

86 CJ7 - 3/4 ton full width - SBC 350 - NV4500 - H1 rims - Eaton Elockers F/R

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Kewl pics of Bufford. They are the first I've seen of Bufford in a compromised position. The only other points of reference is Buford beating Devils Backbone. What does that have to do with winches? Well ... one time pays for all.

A buddy bought a Chicago Tools winch for 350 USD. I think it looks and acts alot like the MileMarker. I have seen him use it ~5 times and it has worked without problem. I would call it a canidate for a budget winch.
    '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 L Auto, 78 Dodge Dana 60/70 with 4.88 gears, ARB front, Lincoln locked rear, Dana 300 transfer case, 4 link upper triangulated front and rear, 4 inch lift, 38.5 boggers rear, TSL-SX front, tube fenders, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, 1.25" BBL, 1" MML, Warn M8000, fuel cell, custom drive shafts, belly up skidplate.
    '00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L, standard, dana 30/ dana 44 with chromoly axle shafts, ARB lockers front/rear, 35" tires
    '04 Chevy 2500 HD
    Tow Rig and farm truck

land rover central Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    im running a old pierce 9000# worm drive. line speed is a bit slow but other than that it's awesome. i got it off an old boom truck in a junkyard in mansfield in exchange for towing some cars back when i had a tow truck. had to rebuild the motor when i put it on the disco. so far it has moved everything its been attached to. i think if i could find a good enuff anchor, i could rotate the earth backwards. and the avitar pic shows the first time i had to bust it out.
    Qt 3link, ARB in the back, 2 inch lift, 31 inch retreads, no anti sway bars, 5 speed,4.0 with D&D cam, 4.2 ECU, Bilstein 12 inch short bodies all around, radioactive winch, and a new roof rack.

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Jr. Forum Member
    I have a SE9500C MileMarker. The only action it has gotten is pulling it out to lube it up....Maybe one day.
    08 unlimited X, swaybar disco, rear locker, dana 30/44, 3.73 gears
    Mods:
    RC 2.5" lift, + 3/4" spacers, Shrockworks bumper, MM SE9500C
    PIAA fog lights, Hella driving lights, Nitto Trail Grapplers,
    Diff. covers, CB

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I run a Warn 8274-50 winch.

I was looking for a winch on ebay and noticed this dude had just posted one for $150 buy it now....I promptly hit the buy it now and sent the dude my phone number. He called back and said it hadn't been on ebay for 10 minutes, that maybe he under priced it.

I ignored his comments about under pricing it and went right to shipping. Long story short....I ended up with another $125 in shipping because the bonehead sent the wire cable and all....I bit my tongue and figured it was a good enough deal that I was more interested in getting it than haggling over a few bucks over the $75 shipping he quoted in the auction.....I wanted that winch!!

I immediately put new cable on it with a new hook and mounted it up. I've been real pleased with it. It has gotten quite a bit of use dragging the samurai out of jams as well as other club member rigs, as well. Larry doesnt' have a winch, yet, so it does double duty when he and I are out.

It has around 70 feet per minute line speed while rolling it out or in unloaded. Very quick for those long pulls and also for when at home re-spooling it each time I come back from a ride and used it.

It usually drops down under 10 feet per minute on a loaded pull and if the load is heavy enough, it will drop down to barely a crawl.(probably 1 or 2 feet per minute)

I have a snatch block that I use on the heavy pulls or to pull from an angle. The snatch block is rated at 16,000 # and the winch is rated at 8,000#

My only complaint is that it is so friggin big. It takes up a good bit of space in front of the radiator.
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    I'm a Warn fan. Old, new, shiny, dirty...doesn't matter. I've got a 9.5ti now and love it. Hardest it's ever pulled was a K5 on rockwells and 54" boggers buried to the axles and a dead motor. I was anchored off obviously and single lined it. Not cheap, but worth every penny when the time comes.

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    well i think i might add. Im running hte milemarker SEC12000 its the new"er" 12k winch. Sits on the front of my blazer. LIke all milemarker winches the line speed is not as fast as a warn but its a lot faster then my friends old milemarker. The winch has performed great. I have pulled myself out a few times and just about all other rigs including a 1ton comando on 39.5 boggers burried past the bumpers. I do keep it clean,dry and protected behing my bumper but its been there when i need it.

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    My put to this thread is based on personal experience rather than specs. Early on I witnessed two mile marers fail. One milemarker failed to function due to the control head and the other failed to function due to the control head locking in the forward engaged mode. That failure pulled two jeeps bumper to bumper and only a quick disconnect saved the day. To Milemarker's credit they had replacement units in shipping the next day. Another man had a Warn M8000 on a YJ that was stuck in a ravine. He ran it almost continiously until it stopped due to thermal overload. I teased him and almost got a warn for $50. After it cooled off it has worked well.

My worst winching event was bending a tie rod U shaped in a rocky ravine with steep walls. I was blocking the route and the easiest way out was 50' up the left side. I did a single line pull up far enough to get out of the way, repositioned with a snatch block and pulled to the anchor point. When the TJ was secure and the anchor point changed I wondered if the bumper was held on by 6 or was it 8 bolts... were they grade 8... and why didn't I weld on that bumper. I didn't worry about the winch.

Had I to do again... I'd have my own snatch block, I'd have a recovery bag with extra tree saver, tow strap and clevis. I'd still take my time going over the obstacle and cycle the winch. And... I'd still chose a Warn M8000 for the TJ.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '01 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 L Auto, 78 Dodge Dana 60/70 with 4.88 gears, ARB front, Lincoln locked rear, Dana 300 transfer case, 4 link upper triangulated front and rear, 4 inch lift, 38.5 boggers rear, TSL-SX front, tube fenders, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, 1.25" BBL, 1" MML, Warn M8000, fuel cell, custom drive shafts, belly up skidplate.
    '00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L, standard, dana 30/ dana 44 with chromoly axle shafts, ARB lockers front/rear, 35" tires
    '04 Chevy 2500 HD
    Tow Rig and farm truck

Thread Information