Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 79 F250 BEFORE and AFTER

Junior Member Jr. Forum Member

My 79 F250 BEFORE and AFTER

last fall I got a GREAT deal on a 1979 F250 one owner with 82K miles on it......It has a 351M/C6/NP205....................BUT it needed some work.................I made the repairs it needed and added a few EXTRA touches.............

What do you think!!!

Before:

By twisted84toyota at 2008-12-02

By twisted84toyota at 2008-11-29

After:

By twisted84toyota at 2009-04-02

By twisted84toyota at 2009-04-02

Lifted it put 36X12.50X16.5 M88 hummer tires,swapped out the 79 grille for the 77.........and the 351M will be out as soon as the 460 gets done at the machine shop!!!

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    pretty cool truck! looks much better now!

makes me want my 71 K10 back...
    -Joe
    1996 Dakota 318

Top Notch Motorsports Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Put the spare tire back on the front! Love it!
    Top Notch
    Motorsports, INC

Member Forum Member
    Good looking truck, but it would look better w/o the cap.
    IT'S A JEEP THING.
    / l ,[___],
    L---L--[]llllll[]-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by tet1070 View Post
    Good looking truck, but it would look better w/o the cap.

The cap has been on the truck since 1979...............kinda hard to bring myself to take it off...........I proly will tho AFTER the Lima Jamboree just because its ALWAYS cold and raining!!!!!!!!

Moderator/Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Looks good. I saw that truck on Cincyoffroad months ago and considered making an offer, but I didn't. I personally like the '78-'79 grilles better. Did you simply prefer the '77 & older grille, or change it for another reason?
    Large: 1978 Ford F-250
    469 V-8: 340 HP, 525 TQ
    C6, NP-205, 4.10's, 42" TSL's on 15x8's
    D60: Detroit, 35 spline Alloy Shafts w/ Longfield Superjoints, Dedenbear Knuckles, Drive Flanges.
    1410 Driveshafts, D70-U Welded, 12K Winch, OBA.

Small: 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4

I really like the 73-77 style grilles the square lights just dont look right.....That and you see TONS of 79's on the road and very seldom do you see a 77 and back!!

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    Keep the cap. Gives it character

Life Members Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Jr. Forum Member
    Leave the cap and put the spare tire back on. Its a great looking truck as is. you will probably want to start saving money for saome tires though. They are time period correct but I would avoid driving that beast in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by rockybalboa View Post
    Leave the cap and put the spare tire back on. Its a great looking truck as is. you will probably want to start saving money for saome tires though. They are time period correct but I would avoid driving that beast in the rain.

do these tires not wear well or do they just suck all around??

Jr. Forum Member

How much of a Pain In The Butt was swapping the grille? I've got a 79 I'm thinking of doing the same thing to. Also, how much lift did you put under it?

Jr. Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted84toyota View Post
    do these tires not wear well or do they just suck all around??
    They are very oold technology and a really hard rubber compound. Plus they are probably almost as old as the truck its self.

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockybalboa View Post
    They are very oold technology and a really hard rubber compound. Plus they are probably almost as old as the truck its self.
    Those tires are military spec for a Hummer so I doubt they could be older than maybe the mid-80's at the most. Though Goodyear did have a production tire that used the exact same tread design from back in the '70's through the early '80's, but I don't think the publicly available production tire was ever that size.

But otherwise I agree, they are old technology bias ply tires....but the price is usually right through military surplus.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member
    Shrek runs those style tires.
    2001 TJ
    You know you have a real Jeep
    "When you spend more on carwashes than on Insurance"

Quote Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
    How much of a Pain In The Butt was swapping the grille? I've got a 79 I'm thinking of doing the same thing to. Also, how much lift did you put under it?

the grille was a piece of cake...........my only advice is to get the 77 core support..............I had to mod the 79 CS for 77 grille.

The tires were new when I got them 0 miles.........still got the titties on the tops of the treads.............I hope they last a while!!!

Member Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Those tires are military spec for a Hummer so I doubt they could be older than maybe the mid-80's at the most. Though Goodyear did have a production tire that used the exact same tread design from back in the '70's through the early '80's, but I don't think the publicly available production tire was ever that size.

But otherwise I agree, they are old technology bias ply tires....but the price is usually right through military surplus.
    Those production tires are from that long ago? A buddy and I ran around on a set of those a while back and they did OK on the street. We knew they were old, but not that old.

Anyway, good choice on keeping the camper top. The '77 grill looks great too.
    -Andy
    Suburbans, K5 Blazers and pickups. And other random junk.

Sr. Forum Member

I am honestly and truthfully jealous of this truck. My favorite grill, great factory color, patina...I love it. Love the wheel/tire choice.
    Top Notch
    Motorsports, INC

I found out today that it is a fairly rare color MEDIUM CHESTNUT METALLIC a 1979 only color.........................

Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USSkoval View Post
    Those production tires are from that long ago? A buddy and I ran around on a set of those a while back and they did OK on the street. We knew they were old, but not that old.

Anyway, good choice on keeping the camper top. The '77 grill looks great too.
    Caution: Useless information below, but I'm procrastinating doing other work:

From my understanding the publicly available line (Goodyear Wrangler R/T II) of this tire has not been in production by Goodyear since the early to mid-80's but I don't know the specific year. If you had these tires in a 36x12.50-16.5 flavor than most likely they came from military surplus...I think the public line never came that big.

The original Humvees were in the design and testing stage in the late-70's/early-80's so the timeline makes sense for them to originally use the R/T II bias plys. The Goodyear Wrangler MT radial (the directional looking tire that Goodyear used prior to the MT/R) took its place shortly after it came into production back in the mid to late-80's. Though the military is well known for keeping warehouses full of stuff for years if not decades, and thus the reason you can still find brand new R/T II bias Hummer tires around.

In regards to the Wrangler MT radial in the 37x12.50R16.5 size, the public could buy these but they were only military spec versions (stamped "for military use" or something on the sidewalls) and very expensive. Goodyear also made a Wrangler GSA (all-terrain) version is this size that was more common on civilian model Hummers, but also stamped "military" on the sidewall (I've personally seen these). Apparently this "military" stamp made the tires very valuable. National Tire & Wheel advertised these in their magazine ads through the late-90's/early 2000's for around $400/tire.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Member Forum Member
    The tires my buddy had definitely weren't the military versions, but were still bias. They were only 31's and were wide, a 12.5 I think. They were a 15 inch rim size too.
    -Andy
    Suburbans, K5 Blazers and pickups. And other random junk.

Jr. Forum Member

How much lift did you go with?

How much lift did you go with?

ended up wit ha 3" add a leaf up front and a set of autozone shackles in the rear..............I have $30 in the lift

4wheelparts had the add a leaf for $29.99 for a while

Jr. Forum Member

Nice!

Jr. Forum Member

Did you mean add a leaf in the rear and shackles up front? My rear springs sit above the shackle perchs, so a longer shackle would actually lower the rear end. Longer shackles on the front would raise it, but would point the pinion down a little more.

xPresident Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    My rear springs sit above the shackle perchs, so a longer shackle would actually lower the rear end.

???????????????? Huh? Gotta call BS on that one.....

REX
    1984 CJ7, SOA, Spring Reversal, 258I6 bored .030 over, pulling cam, Webber Carb, Electric Fuel Pump, D44 Aussie Locker 4340 shafts 300M u-joints Front, FORD8.8 mini spool Rear, 4.56 Gears, Rear Ladder Bar, hand throttle, twin stick t-case, 33x12.50x15 Boggers, winch

Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    ???????????????? Huh? Gotta call BS on that one.....

REX
    You definitely need to take a vacation from Jeep-world sometime

A lot of real vehicles (i.e. not a Jeep) use a set up in which the rear shackles actually attach to the frame then point up towards the spring (spring eyes are above the frame mount side of the shackle). So yes, installing a longer shackle on the rear actually lowers it.

Chevy/GM has used this setup on fullsize trucks since '67, and while I don't know the details on Ford and Dodge they used it also....Buford has this setup.
    Brad

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    You definitely need to take a vacation from Jeep-world sometime

A lot of real vehicles (i.e. not a Jeep) use a set up in which the rear shackles actually attach to the frame then point up towards the spring (spring eyes are above the frame mount side of the shackle). So yes, installing a longer shackle on the rear actually lowers it.

Chevy/GM has used this setup on fullsize trucks since '67, and while I don't know the details on Ford and Dodge they used it also....Buford has this setup.
    This is correct. Honestly, when I first read the original post, I had the same reaction as Rex....Then as I started to read Brad's response I did the ole "Oh yeah, I've seen those!"...... I had completely forgotten about that setup.
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Sr. Forum Member

All F-150's from...as far back as I can remember untill now uses this setup.
    Top Notch
    Motorsports, INC

Jr. Forum Member

not the same year, but basically the same setup.

Did you mean add a leaf in the rear and shackles up front? My rear springs sit above the shackle perchs, so a longer shackle would actually lower the rear end. Longer shackles on the front would raise it, but would point the pinion down a little more.

Nope an ADD-A-LEAF in the front and shackels in the rear..........and it alows for the pinion to tip up slightly...............I have done this on several of my trucks it woeks well and is fairly cheap.....but safe!!

It does rotate the rear wheel forward in the wheelwell you gotta look to really notice tho!!

Thread Information