Thread: Man I feel dumb for asking this questoin (14bolt)

Member Jr. Forum Member

Man I feel dumb for asking this questoin (14bolt)

Which way does the hub seal go on I got my hubs painted flat black, all cleaned up, new bearings, etc. Alls I got left is the seals and I dont know which way they go on, I'm thinking the rubber side in but if someone could verify for that for me that would be awesome! THanks!! :D
    Your rig is most likely better than mine

Moderator/Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Anyone who would install a seal backwards is pretty much a dumba$$. The part with metal (slinky looking thing inside the lip) faces the grease/oil.

After my recent D70 rear axle installation, I took the truck to the picnic at Ernie's. No leakage. I went out on the Sunday ride a few weeks ago. I left my house Saturday afternoon to get to the campground early in the evening. About three miles from home, I stopped at a gas station to fill up. I noted that the rear pinion seal was leaking quite a bit. I stopped at Autozone and picked up a seal & some gear oil. Arriving at the campground, I got to work, installing the new seal. Thinking that is looked different than the one I took out, I said, "This may sound stupid, but did I install it backwards?" Lambert confirmed that I had. Feeling real cool, I pried it out, (hoping that the extra D60 pinion seal that I carry) would work.....it did. No more leakage. This reminds me that I want to start a topic on grease seals, and will do so in a few minutes.....seriously. Don't feel bad about asking your question...at least you asked before you installed it backwards. :D

Roy
    Large: 1978 Ford F-250
    469 V-8: 340 HP, 525 TQ
    C6, NP-205, 4.10's, 42" TSL's on 15x8's
    D60: Detroit, 35 spline Alloy Shafts w/ Longfield Superjoints, Dedenbear Knuckles, Drive Flanges.
    1410 Driveshafts, D70-U Welded, 12K Winch, OBA.

Small: 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4

Member Jr. Forum Member
    Well yeah most seals have that spring thingy that goes inwards. Unless I didn't see it, it doesn't have one. It's a timkin seal if it makes any difference. I could snap a pic if needed.

Sr. Forum Member
    I know what you are referring to...regarding the metal part. Most seals have the "retaining ring" but some don't. Look at the seal: the inner-most part of it. Whichever way the rubber is angled, that needs to face the grease/oil. It's intention is to keep it in there. Take a minute to look at the seal, and you'll see what I mean.

If this doesn't help, post a picture, and I'll tell you which side goes where.

Roy
    D60: Detroit, 35 spline Alloy Shafts w/ Longfield Superjoints, Dedenbear Knuckles, Drive Flanges.

Member Jr. Forum Member
    after looking at it for a few more minutes, I am almost 100% sure this side faces outwards

and this faces towards the inside

Sr. Forum Member
    Picture #1: If the inner lip is facing downward (it looks like it is) you are correct.

Roy

PS: Cheney's doing a decent job of handling Edwards's candy arse.

Member Jr. Forum Member
    Tell me about it! I'm not watching it (far too boring for my tastes) but I am getting all of the highlights from JU off topic.

Dirty Peter Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    JU off topic is reallly bland compared to Pirate chit chat.
    "Nitrous is like a Hot Chick with an std, you know you want to hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!!"

Forum Admin/Ohio 4x4 Life Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lugie
    JU off topic is reallly bland compared to Pirate chit chat.
    Yes, but the folks on Pirate generally realize everybody is bullsh**ing. The turds on JU get enranged thinking people are serious....
    Steve
    98 RED TJ
    Web Wheeler

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Yep, that's correct.

It's a dual-lip seal so it's a little harder to tell which way it should go. The easiest way to tell is by looking at the outer metal ring. On the top picture (the side that faces out) the outer metal ring is a solid piece. The bottom picture, showing the inner face, shows the metal ring as being two pieces.........notice the line that runs right along the orange part. If you would put this side out you could get contaminants into the seal through this split line.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Member Jr. Forum Member
    thanks guys!! 8)

Thread Information