Thread: ODNR meetings!!!

FoundingFather, xTreasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

ODNR meetings!!!

BillK(OMTA) and I went to the 'main' ODNR meeting on Friday, for their '2008 Strategic Plan'. All it really did was tell us that there will be 5 'specific' meetings around Ohio, for the public to comment on what they want from the ODNR:

Aug.26 - 3-7pm, Portsmouth,OH - Shawnee office on US.RT.52
    Sep.02 - 4-6pm, Athens,OH - Athens office on 360 E.State.St.
    Sep.03 - 6-8pm, NewPhilly,OH - Mohican office on 2205 Reiser.Av.
    Sep.03 - 5-7pm, Chillicothe,OH - Chillicothe office on 345 Allen.Av.
    Sep.10 - 3-7pm, Swanton,OH - Maumee(Toledo) office on 3390 CntyRd.D
    ----------
    BillK is going to Athens,OH
    Im going to Chillicothe,OH

If you can not attend, then it would be helpful if you sent a short letter to:
    ODNR Div of Forestry, 2045 Morse Rd, Bldg.H-1, Columbus,OH 43229
    ----------
    Tell them you would like to see one of two things - either allow Jeeps/4x4-trucks/etc onto current ATV/dirtbike areas, or create an area for Jeeps/etc - like Indiana-DNR has at Redbird.

P.S. This is the Ohio-DNR - not the Wayne National Forest, who already is looking into a Jeepin area, at Nelsonville,OH.
    -Norm

Sr. Forum Member
    I hit the Chilli meeting last night - guess who I saw (for the second time - first time was the MorseRd meeting) - it was Mr.Boyles, the guy we get permission from, to park at the garages at the novice ride. We both agreed it was nice to see a face to go with the phone-voice. He gave me someone to contact at the main ODNR office, about getting Jeeps onto some of the 4 ODNR ATV-trail areas (I prefer Perry Forest in Perry County - right Donny!).

How about you all helping me with a list of 4x4 areas in surrounding states, that are under the Dept.of.NaturalResources - so I can show how far behind Ohio is. I know of:

Michigan- SilverLake dunes, which is overseen by the state/MDNR.
    Indiana- Redbird & the new InterLake, which are thru IDNR.
    Kentucky- ?
    Tenn- CoalCreek(or is that privately owned?), Tellico(its the U.S.ForestService isnt it?)
    WVirginia- ?
    Penn- RauschCreek(its private isnt it?)

What else?
    -Norm

Junior Member Forum Newbie

Kentucky

Is'nt the Land between the lakes a Commonwealth park of Kentucky? If so they have Jeep/4x4 openings there.
    Little Red Jeep

Administrator/Web Wheeler Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JC 04 Rubicon View Post
    Is'nt the Land between the lakes a Commonwealth park of Kentucky? If so they have Jeep/4x4 openings there.
    Land Between the Lakes is run by the US Forest Service and is a National Recreation Area. Uwharrie, in the Uwharrie National Forest in North Carolina, also run by the US Forest Service.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreat...rrie/index.htm

http://www.lbl.org/Home.html

Life Members Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    hatfield and mccoy trail system in wv.? not sure who runs it

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Kentucky- ?
    Black Moutain (Harlan) is run by Harlan County..I believe
    Slade/Natural Bridge - not sure the specifics but is run/operated/overseen by a government organization.
    But in any case, both are public places run by some branch of a government organization.

Tenn- CoalCreek(or is that privately owned?),
    Pretty sure it's private land, operated by the Coal Creek Mining Co.????

Tellico(its the U.S.ForestService isnt it?) I believe so.

Penn- RauschCreek(its private isnt it?) - pretty sure it's private.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Member Forum Member
    trail funding meeting

by woodzy on Today, 3:18 pm
    meeting to discuss recreational trail funding and development issues. the meeting for jackson, vinton, gallia, lawernce and scioto counties will be nov.6 from 5 to 7 pm at the jackson city public library (21 broadway street, jackson ph 740-286-4111) there is more to the articel but dont have time to peck it out. this is out of the telegram newapaper from nov 1. says you can also viset ohiodnr.com for more info. this is one of fourteen meetings taking place throught the state. hope this helps brian

woodzy Web Wheeler Posts: 1 Joined: September 12th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clarknorm View Post
    I hit the Chilli meeting last night - guess who I saw (for the second time - first time was the MorseRd meeting) - it was Mr.Boyles, the guy we get permission from, to park at the garages at the novice ride. We both agreed it was nice to see a face to go with the phone-voice. He gave me someone to contact at the main ODNR office, about getting Jeeps onto some of the 4 ODNR ATV-trail areas (I prefer Perry Forest in Perry County - right Donny!).

?
    Yes Perry State Forrest would be the happening place for trucks/jeeps.

FlattieTJ of ORO, and the Rowdy Jeepers has been in touch with someone from the ODNR that he knows, and had htis to say.
    http://offroadohio.messageforums.net...php?f=29&t=272

Norm, will you be attending the Jackson metting on Thursday? I have the day off and fuel money allowing I plan to go. I'd prefer not to walk into a meeting, and be talking out of my butt. I'd rather have soemone who is better with public speaking than myself there. I'd prefer to just be a numbered body, there to show support. I have a little info on OHV parks, and some the revanue gain from them but not alot.

Is Silver Lake Dunes in MI DNR operated??? I'll do some searching on it.

I know Redbird is DNR, and they just opened a new one in Indiana aswell.

Member Forum Member
    As Donnie said-----> I plan to go. I'd prefer not to walk into a meeting, and be talking out of my butt. I'd rather have soemone who is better with public speaking than myself there. I'd prefer to just be a numbered body, there to show support.<-----so i'll be a # as well plus i wanna hear for myself what the deal is, have a better understanding.

Sr. Forum Member
    This Thursday, 4pm, Im heading to Slade,KY with SES - so I cant make it.

The only ODNR money for 'motorized recreation' would be for quads,dirtbikes,etc (riding areas, etc) - not for Jeeps,4x4s,etc - since ODNR does not allow Jeeps onto quad trails. Thats what you guys could bring up - why does Indiana think its ok for Jeeps and quads to ride together, BUT NOT OHIO. Whats the difference between a quad and a Jeep - Jeeps are DEFINITELY safer, since they travel MUCH slower, and have WAY more protection. Ask ODNR how many quaders/dirtbikers get life-flighted every year - due to the high rate of speed they are traveling at when they crash. Common-sense says ODNR should be providing for Jeeps, instead of those deadly quads.
    -Norm

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member
    90yota, I dotn think I'll make it either, its a 4hour round trip drive for me and nearly 200miles. Gas is cheap right now but that still 10 gallon of fuel...

Thread Information