Thread: Trailer build help....

Member Sr. Forum Member

Trailer build help....

Guys, im in the process of rebuilding this trailer

The deck will be 12' long with a 3' dove, folding ramps.
    I have all of the crossmembers in for the deck just need to burn in the ones for the dove tail. The current width is 74.5". I only need this for one hual and then I will be selling it.
    i have enough room to make the deck 76-79" by setting the first board off the rail an inch or so. OR I have enough metal to weld on 10" extentions and buld some drive over wheel wells. Looking for your thoughs on what a potential buyer may want.

I will be painting the steel, adding new lights, It has an axle with brakes but i have not tested them yet. Ill be adding new wood floor etc....
    I have most of the material already to complete just need to know how wide to make a 12' trailer. I think a jeep/small truck would work as is....
    Im also adding a winch plate and a toolbox to the tounge.

what am I missing???

Junior Member Jr. Forum Member
    if i was u i would have drive over fenders thats 4 sure. i would make the trailer as wide as the tires but thats me i have big and wide truck. back 2 the fenders drive over is nice 2 have 4 no matter what ur hauling a jeep or a big truck. my truck hung over the side with the TSLs i cant imagin with my 46in micky ts i have some wood blocks cut that i sit against the fenders so i can drive over them. have not had time 2 make new fenders. what u gonna want 4 it when ur done??
    1986 gmc 1ton mud toy back 2 build mode

1997 jeep grand cherokee

1986 chevy 1/2 ton new trail project

2000 chevy silverado everyday driver

www.mymudlife.com/profile/wolf

Member Sr. Forum Member
    Thanks for the suggestion....I think I am going to go with about 8" - 10"on each side. I ran out of of gas light nit got my tourchs.....uggg.....

NOt sure what I am going to charge for it....Il park it in front of the house and see if i can get 1000.00 from a local farmer. If i can finish before it's to late......

Dont let my "Local Price" scare you if you know someone that would be interested. Have them make me an offer.....trades welcome too....

Junior Member Jr. Forum Member
    no prob. i have a buddy who will be needing a trailer soon when we get his truck done.
    1986 gmc 1ton mud toy back 2 build mode

1997 jeep grand cherokee

1986 chevy 1/2 ton new trail project

2000 chevy silverado everyday driver

www.mymudlife.com/profile/wolf

Member Sr. Forum Member
    well guys, at this point i have decided to keep it at 76ish inches and not extend the supports. for me it is a matter of time, I need to get this sold so i finished the crossmembers last night. I cut off the ramps (the needed lowared) and need to burn them back, put on another coat of tractor paint and wire it tonight. Hope to have the decking on tomorrow night and have it in my front yard with a sign on it. My neighbor has a 16' trailer he is letting me borrow for my tractor so I wount be needing this one.

Should someone on here be interested in it I will include the ange to extend the sides if they so want.

I want to thank everyone for your thought and input. I just need to flipp this so I can get some bills cought up.....

Thanks again.

Thread Information