10" SKYJACKER LIFT
    350FI/700R
    14 BOLT REAR
    15X14 WELD WHEELS
    15/35/16.5 TSLS
    DUAL FLOWMASTER

Top Notch Motorsports Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

I dig it! Swap in some diesel power, add a stick shift and I'd love to have it.
    Top Notch
    Motorsports, INC

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    Yea Just Got It And Im Lookin For Ideas I Would Like It Diesel.how Hard Would It Be To Make It A 6.2 Diesel.
    I Hope To Get A Wench And Lockers And Then I Dont Know What To Do.

Sr. Forum Member

I'm sure any diesel swap would be expensive and time consuming. But then again, anything worthwhile is...

Ideas...what are you wishing to do w/ it? I like fullsizes on the trail, but there is NO WAY that thing would make it on our trails. Sorry. Mud truck? More tire, cut the fenders and add more horsepower. Tow rig? Step down to 33's and add more horsepower and gear. Street Truck? Go wild, do whatever you want. Family hauler? Add two TV's, one DVD player and one Wii, a mini fridge w/ adult beverages...you'll be the coolest guy on the block and always be asked to be the DD!
    Top Notch
    Motorsports, INC

I Would Like To Use It For The Trails But Is A Little Big,i Do Like The Mini Fridge Idea.i Also Have A 90xj 4x4 With 31mt's So I Really Dont Drive The Suburban That Much Besides Having Fun Offroad

Sr. Forum Member

Bring your XJ to our novice ride. Once you see our trails, you will know that there is NO chance of you getting your 'Burb on them. Trail ride your XJ and use the 'burb as a tow rig! Best of both worlds.
    Top Notch
    Motorsports, INC

When I Get A Trailer Ill Do That.

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Swapping in a 6.2 would be relatively easy to do, but keep in mind it's far from a Duramax or Powerstroke in the power department.

Completely agree with afastfour regarding taking that thing on the trails. It would get beat up pretty bad, plus it's got way too much lift and not nearly enough tire (and the 16.5x14 rims are not a good combo...I know you said 15x14 but I'm guessing they are 16.5's).
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Yea Your Right There 16.5 Why Not A Good Combo.yea I Dont Want To Beat The Body All To Hell.i Was Thinking Of Geting 38.5s When I Get Tires For It

Moderator/Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SUBURBAN_SKYJACKER View Post
    Yea Your Right There 16.5 Why Not A Good Combo. Bad thing #1: 16.5's are very prone to allowing a tire to pop off the bead. Bad thing #2: 14" wide wheels are way too wide for a trail rig...you will pop the tires off the bead on a regular basis (along with ripping your sidewalls to shreds). yea I Dont Want To Beat The Body All To Hell.i Was Thinking Of Geting 38.5s When I Get Tires For It
    Regarding the body....

Before first trail ride:

Very first trail ride:

After 1.5 years:

After 4 years:

Roy
    Large: 1978 Ford F-250
    469 V-8: 340 HP, 525 TQ
    C6, NP-205, 4.10's, 42" TSL's on 15x8's
    D60: Detroit, 35 spline Alloy Shafts w/ Longfield Superjoints, Dedenbear Knuckles, Drive Flanges.
    1410 Driveshafts, D70-U Welded, 12K Winch, OBA.

Small: 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4

Sr. Forum Member

Yea Your Right There 16.5 Why Not A Good Combo.yea I Dont Want To Beat The Body All To Hell.i Was Thinking Of Geting 38.5s When I Get Tires For It
    Roy hit it on the head.

16.5's are bad in general because they do not have the small bead retention lip like 15, 16, 17, etc... in rims, and they slope downward more. They strictly rely on air pressure to hold the bead on the rim, as I've seen 16.5's where you air them down and can then break the bead by hand. It takes a decent amount of force to break the bead on other rims.

The 14" wide width makes the condition even worse, as narrower rims will hold the beads on better on any size rims. For example, you would knock the beads off the tires (assuming the same size tires) much easier on a 14" wide rim versus any rim that was, for example, only 8"-10" wide. Why? because you are stretching the tire out to seat the bead (I bet it was a huge pain to seat the beads on those tires).

You would also beat up those rims really bad on the trail and they would constantly leak because you would get mud and crap stuck in the bead all of the time.

Now granted, if you never took it off-road and never aired down all of that is a moot point.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Thanks For The Info Ive Seen These Rims Sell For $800 Used Do You Think I Should Just Try To Get Some 15x8 Because When Ever I See Any Place To Go Off Road I Do

Sr. Forum Member

Thanks For The Info Ive Seen These Rims Sell For $800 Used Do You Think I Should Just Try To Get Some 15x8 Because When Ever I See Any Place To Go Off Road I Do
    If somebody was willing to pay $800 just for the rims I would already have the truck sitting on jackstands with the rims gone. In the off-road world those rims would be on the way bottom of the list in regards to desirable for actual trails use. I bought a complete set of 90+% tread 39.5" Swampers mounted on 15x10 8-lug wheels for that much about a year ago.

Add in the what you could sell the tires for and you should have enough money to buy a really nice set of used tires and wheels, or a substantial chunk of what a brand new set would cost.

Just make sure you do some research before you buy different tires and wheels. I really don't know what your true idea of "off-road" is versus looks for the truck.

FYI: if you got 15" rims you will need new tires also.
    Brad

Thread Information