Thread: trails behind Walmart/Lowes on S.High/i-270

FoundingFather, xTreasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

trails behind Walmart/Lowes on S.High/i-270

The trails behind Walmart/Lowes on S.High/i-270

I was in the area on Saturday, and started driving around the south-end(Lowes) of the strip-mall, and spotted a police helicopter over me. Then I noticed a man & woman walking out of the treeline - I guess(hope) the copter was watching them, not me. I continued northward, behind Lowes, and saw a Columbus Police car with an officer in it. I asked him if the trails were legal or not - he said 'definitely illegal, and there are signs posted everywhere'. I asked if its always been illegal, and he said yes but not really enforced - until recently, when a man was walking back there and was confronted by the land owners, and was told he shouldnt be walking back there - the man said 'I can walk anywhere I f***ing well please', which convinced the land owners to start cracking-down on trespassers. The officer also said that the police, special-duty and security patrol the area regularly now. I drove further northward towards Walmart, and stopped a respectable-looking young guy that came out of the woods with his fishing-pole in hand (he was beside a utility-pole that had a 'no trespassing, hunting or fishing' sign on it). I asked what was back there, and he said fishing and lots of dirt-trails (I should have pointed-out the 'no trespass' sign). I rounded the far corner of Walmart, heading towards the front, when I spotted the mall security truck, so I asked Mr.Security about the area - he said dirtbikes are back there all day and all night, even though there are signs posted saying 'no trespassing'.

So, I think this area is a very bad idea if anyone ever gets the urge to wheel there.
    -Norm

Local Goon Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    That is a very well known place where theifs abaondon their stolen cars by setting them on fire. I suggest staying away from that location for that reason alone.
    Paul

1976 CJ 5 on 37s
    1984 CJ 7 on 36's
    1993 GMC K3500 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member
    Norm, may I cross post to ORO?

Sr. Forum Member
    sure
    -Norm

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    I would like to cross post to OHTTORA also. I have 'wheeled there in the past (a couple of years ago), and there never used to be an issue. Most of the property is owned by 1.) The holding company that owns the shopping mall 2.) AEP, and 3.) The rock quarry. There is a small field on the south east side behind Lowes that is privately owned. The guy that owns the field has always been pretty hostile (understandably) and he's always chased people off of his property. The last time that I 'wheeled there there were Columbus Police checking people for registration and insurance when they left, because there were several people driving non-street legal rigs there. Other than that they didn't bother us. I have heard (not sure how true) that the owner of the field has been telling people that he owns ALL of the property behind the mall, and to stay off of it. This is not true, I have looked up the property deeds on Franklin County's website. But he may have caused enough of a fuss to get it closed down altogether. I've stayed away because I don't KNOW the status of it, and I won't 'wheel where it even MAY be illeagle. Also, the place hes gotten pretty rutted out, and, like tbshakie said, there is alot of dumping of stolens that goes on there.

Lifer Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Not a problem to put it on OHTTORA.

You might also mention that it is best not to ride on property until you are 100% certain that it is legal or that you have permission from the owner. Just because no-one enforces trespassing does not make it legal or right to be there.

-- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sourpwr View Post
    Not a problem to put it on OHTTORA.

You might also mention that it is best not to ride on property until you are 100% certain that it is legal or that you have permission from the owner. Just because no-one enforces trespassing does not make it legal or right to be there.

-- Mike

Thanks. Yeah, it is discussed over there as it is here (usually with newbies that are looking for places to go). We typically stick with places like Badlands, Tellico, Painted Rock (Gone unfortunately), and Wellsville. I have been looking into land ownership of some of the local spots to see about getting permission and also seeing about doing clean up runs so that the land owners would see that we arent the ones trashing the places. It's very hard to do though, especially since some of the properties are owned by holding companies or buisnesses. If its a private owner then you can talk to one person and get permission and you're set, but when you're dealing with a company that owns the property then it's not that easy. Just because you talk with Joe Schmo, and he says that it's ok, someone else may not agree. That is even if you can talk to someone at all. I'm also a contractor for several police agencies, including CPD, so I've been talking with the precinct sergants about the status of properties and contacting the owners. It would be nice to have someplace local in Columbus that you could go mess around on the weekends. I used to go to Beacon on Hamilton & Refugee years ago. It wasn't anything crazy, but just some fun playing in the mud and some tight trails. Its less than 5 minutes from my house, so if someone broke, it was no big deal. CPD used to regularly fly over and watch us in their helicopters, and as long as you weren't being stupid they didn't say anything. The land itself is pretty much useless for development, and the owners didn't care if people went back there. But, it became a squatter camp for the homeless, and the place got trashed. Also there was dumping of stolen vehicles going on there. The parks service took over the land that the pond is on and started kicking people out. Most of the property is owned by Kroger and a couple of holding companies that own the little strip malls around there. It would be nice to be able to contact the owners of the rest of the property to set up a clean up run out there, and try to get the place opened back up. But, I've all but given up on that and I just stay with the pay-to-play ORV parks. It just sucks to have to drive 3 hours away or more, then if you break down and can't fix it, you're screwed.

Yeah I have been back behind walmart a few times i don't now the status of it being off limits your posts are 2 months old ,but i seen about 20 trucks back there 1 month ago some trucks where on trailers to, must of been trail rigs.
    A few quads and dirt bikes so some one might of talked to the owners and worked something out that would be good if the did cause its 5 minutes from me.maybe this club should look into it further it would be a good place to play

I was back there a week or so ago. Ended up pulling a full size Chevy up the hill coming out. His diff went out and it was nice and muddy.

walmart,becon hill and all other close areas in columbus

my family and friends use to ride, fish and camp at big walnut creek and rt 23 we had lots of good clean fun for almost 10 yrs, it was closed down and posted march 17,2007 by the state of ohio cause of to many arrests and so much dumping and burnt up vehicles going on, we've also been to beacon hill,behind walmart and 270 fishing and riding etc,and before that at 270 and alumcreek dr till the parks took over the land and posted it. i also believe all our areas r being closed down and posted because of all the lowlife lazy thieves dumping and burning stolen vehicles, they all need to get a real life maybe even a job and quit ruining everyone elses fun and free local recreation. if u see dumping call it in. we always recyle and properly dispose of our trash. it wouldn't help trying to convince the landowner to let us continue to ride local areas because of the trash,etc. last summer while we were at walmart there were people who had a camper and were staying in it back by the rock quary,kids and all for well over a week or so ,thats what gets it closed down, i believe they drug it back there with a car no less,also u need to use common sense another reason they r probably cracking down at walmart is because people r riding there atv's etc in the parking lot at the park by fairlaine mobile home park, thats not safe they r having bike races there,etc ride in the woods and keep a low profile and if its posted no trespassing then it means no trespassing. stay safe sorry if i offended anyone ,just stressing some of the most known facts

Member Jr. Forum Member
    Sourpwr, I hope to see you on a trailride sometime. We can discuss matters face to face.
    Last edited by RickT; 02-20-2008 at 01:58 PM.
    1994 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0 4X4
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 460 V8
    1994 Mercedes E320

Lifer Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Just because no-one enforces trespassing does not make it legal or right to be there.
    Your frustration with the thieves is the same frustration that many people working for land access have with people who disregard the statement above. There are people in Ohio, and across the US, working to ensure future access for offroad vehicles. Admitting to trespassing on a public forum is no way to further that cause.

If you are not already involved in one, may I suggest that you get involved with a land access organization and work through legal means to ensure access in the Columbus area.

-- mike

Anyone have any new information on this spot? Because I don't want to keep getting insurance carded for being on illegal property.

I did a google earth image on the site, but the image says it's from 2002. You can clearly see the tire tracks and puddles of mud back behind there, so something must still be happening.

I think I will try to check it out and let you guys know what I found.

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tastybrownies View Post
    Anyone have any new information on this spot? Because I don't want to keep getting insurance carded for being on illegal property.

I did a google earth image on the site, but the image says it's from 2002. You can clearly see the tire tracks and puddles of mud back behind there, so something must still be happening.

I think I will try to check it out and let you guys know what I found.
    I don't understand what you mean?? It's pretty clear that the spot is illegal and just because people are still trespassing does not make it legal.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Sr. Forum Member
    I talked to someone last night whos been there lately - he said the 'No Trespassing' signs are still posted, but he still sees vehicles coming out from the woods. If you want the latest info on the area - look for the cop that patrols behind the stores. And if you dont happen to see him, ask the security-man driving around the parking-lot.
    -Norm

Thread Information