Thread: Blazer progression

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Blazer progression

Okay, so a relatively brief rundown of the Blazer:

1990 Chevrolet V1500 (K5) Blazer

Bought it in 1994 with 49k on the clock and completely stock expect for a set of 32? mud tires. The specs were:

6.2 diesel, 700r4 trans, 241 t-case, 10-bolt axles front and rear w/ Gov-lock and 3.73 gears, and all of the bells and whistles of a Silverado (power windows, locks, cruise, A/C, etc?).

It was my daily driver for many years and has been a work in progress since. I won?t bore you with the different versions over the years, but it has had an interesting life including being stolen, wheeled hard, and then stripped before being recovered. It currently is a trailered off-road rig, but is licensed and street legal.

Here is the current specs:

Engine: mostly stock 6.2, tweaked timing, dual Flowmaster 40?s w/ turndowns. Poly engine mounts. To come includes tweaked injection pump and ?J? code (non-EGR) intake.

Trans and t-case: 700r4 with big cooler and NP 241 t-case (2.72 low). Poly trans mount.

Driveshafts: rear now has a larger tube with 1350 u-joints, front is stock with 1310 at the diff and S44 (similiar to 1330) CV at the t-case.

Axles:
    front = Dana 60, Lock-right, 4.10 gears, 35-spline non-neckdown Spicer inners, Spicer u-joints, 35-spline Yukon stubs, Mt. Logan 35-spline flanges, minor housing shave for ground clearance, beefed stock diff cover (basically two covers welded together, then extra plating over ring gear).
    Rear = 14-bolt FF, welded diff, 4.10 gears, disc brakes, minor housing shave for ground clearance.
    Line-locks installed for front and rear.

Steering: Stock Hydro-boost, ORD cross-over steering, re-sealed 2wd steering box, stock pump modded for more flow and pressure, HD (1.25", apparently not heavy enough because I bent it already) tie-rod, RockLogic hydro-assist (1.5? cylinder) w/ drilled and tapped stock end and top cap (end cap reinforced). ORD bolt-on steering brace and weld-on frame reinforcements.

Suspension:
    Front = 4? Tuff Country HD springs, ORD HD shackles and greasable bushings. Plans to install 1? zero-rate and move front axle forward 1.5?.
    Rear = Sky Manuf. Shackle flip, stock 52? springs. Plans for reversed 56? springs which will move axle back 4? and install longer rear shackles.

Tires and Wheels: 39.5x15.5-15 Super Swamper TSL, 15x8 Procomp wheels w/ 2.75? backspacing (hillbilly beadlocks).

Bumpers: home-built front and rear
    Front: 3/8? plate used for frame and winch mounts. 3x2x3/16? for center part of bumper, currently 1.5? box for outer ends (will eventually switch to round tube), stinger hoop, Ramsey ProPlus 9000 winch with roller fairlead.

Rear: 4x2x3/16? tube, wrap around corners, ?? frame mounts go down to bottom of fuel tank w/ 1.5? tube to act as a ?tank bumper?

Body: Rocker panels cut out and raised (about 5? cut out of bottom of doors for reference), replaced with 3x3 tube, front floors all 1/8? plate and new subframe built to support floors, seats, and rockers. Heavily trimmed front fenders. Quick release door hinges. Interior completely stripped except for dash, seats, center console. Tailgate permanently removed and reinforcement bar running between stock latch mounts.

Rollcage: S&W full family cage (plans for more reinforcement) including door bars (makes it a pain to get in and out but well worth it because I ran with no doors most of the time).

Misc: Toolbox mount using small turnbuckles connected between floor and box (holds box securely, but can be removed by hand quickly by loosening turnbuckles and then unhooking them). Hi-lift mounts (bolts up through top of rear wheelwell, then jack secured with wing nuts and washers). Interior light modified to work on manual switch (because doors removable), red interior running light under dash (so you can still see a little inside while running a trail at night, but doesn?t affect outside visibility). Doors converted to manual windows. Cruise and ABS crap removed, brakes lines all redone.

Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

A few pics:

On "Samurai's Revenge" :roll:...........Roy and myself both think it needs renamed "Fullsize Revenge", or maybe "Samurai's Take the Bypass Route Revenge"...

At some point right after this picture Roy gave me the best spotting advice ever..........."You'll just have to get angry with it"

Getting to the top of "SR" obstacle.

Stuck in Jason's creek as my winch decided to stop working (did a field rebuild at Ernie's, had crap in the motor). Both Larry and Steve got winched out of this also, so I don't feel that bad.

Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Moderator/Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    The "Buford Gray" paint is likely the best mod. It's been my secret for years.
    Large: 1978 Ford F-250
    469 V-8: 340 HP, 525 TQ
    C6, NP-205, 4.10's, 42" TSL's on 15x8's
    D60: Detroit, 35 spline Alloy Shafts w/ Longfield Superjoints, Dedenbear Knuckles, Drive Flanges.
    1410 Driveshafts, D70-U Welded, 12K Winch, OBA.

Small: 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Larry and I thought we would add this one in your group of pics...... :elefant:

Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Local Goon Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    is the last picture the spot where i broke my t-case?
    Paul

1976 CJ 5 on 37s
    1984 CJ 7 on 36's
    1993 GMC K3500 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Vice President Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Yes Sir.
    Tyler
    1988 Suzuki Samurai,SPOA, 31x12.50 boggers, 15x10 Eagle 589s, 6.5:1 T-case gears, H shift pattern in t case. F/R lockers, diff guards, rocksliders, custom bumper w/ 5500LB winch, power steering, rear disc brakes, Sony CD player and 6.5" speakers, 300 watt amp, and 10" sub.

Senior Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SES View Post
    Larry and I thought we would add this one in your group of pics...... :elefant:

As to Sam REv. Hill ~~~~ Hay ~~considering I'm a very short wheel base ,I don't feel bad at all about "HOW" I make it up the hill. At least I make it. !!!!! I had just installed a set of "RING" Fields in my front end and was ~ am still trying to figger out how HARD I can beat on it without braking any thing, and having a BALL finding out!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by SES; 01-24-2008 at 09:38 AM.
    "MUD" the Alixer of LIFe
    87 Zuk tin top~200 HP Vortec V6
    350TH auto, np203 splitter,
    Dana 300 T/C. 4/10 aussie
    locked Toy diff. 38 14/50 swampers
    & 38 /15 Bogers

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    Very nice K5!

Scott

Thread Information