Thread: Alternator

Moderator Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Alternator

I just finished swapping my old GM SI alternator for a CS144. Since I don't have a garage unpacked yet from my move I had to do it with a couple plyers and a big hammer. Wow that thing really puts out power. At idle with the heavy ford radiator fan pulling 45amps, the belt slipping because I didn't have the prybar to tighten it, and all the lights running its still putting out 13 volts. When I get some daylight I'll tighten everything up and see how its doing.

Also I'll be modding my pulleys to run a 2nd belt to turn the weldernator. My original belt routing would have no chance of keeping the new alternator turning.
    I'll post a pic or two if I remember to take them.

Evan
    `92/79 Toyota Blazer 350 engine, TH 350/NP203, fullsize axles, 38.5" boggers, bed mounted John Deer radiator, onboard welder.

Army M35A2 "Duece and a Half" 6x6 cargo truck

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

I did this conversion on mine a couple of years ago, and just like you said it makes a world of difference. The really nice thing is that the CS144 puts out a lot of amps at idle, perfect for a trailrig.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Moderator Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

I got it all working properly now and with all lighting, cab vent fan, and radiator fan running I'm still getting 13.25 volts at idle and 13.85 at 1000 rpms. Definately a good mod for trail riding.

Evan
    `92/79 Toyota Blazer 350 engine, TH 350/NP203, fullsize axles, 38.5" boggers, bed mounted John Deer radiator, onboard welder.

Member Forum Member
    can you tell me more about this,,, I am wanting a larger alt for my jeep.

Moderator Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

The GM CS series alternators are the more modern ones they started using. The really good one the CS 144 can be found in 86-95 or so camaros, firebirds, and the high end cars (ie the ones with power everything.) They also have much better bearings and cooling fans on them. Some info I've found about them say that they are harder to use since the computer also controls some of the regulation, but I found one that had a single wire going into its harness and I bought the AC Delco harness adapter to go from my old SI plug to the new CS plug.

Here's a pretty good picture of the two alternators. the CS style is on the left and the SI style is on the right. Most CS output 105 amps, but the CS 144 will output 120amps while the most common SI's output around 76 amps. Either CS probably outputs more than that at idle. Also the mounting holes for the CS style are just slightly further apart than the SI style so if your using the old style GM or ford (which are the same dimensions) then you will need to slightly bend the bracket to get it to fit.

Another note is the CS ones use the serpentine pulley system, but you can easily change it over by replacing the pulley with a v belt one from an old SI alternator. You just have to get a good belt and get it tight enough to turn that monster.

Evan
    Last edited by Evan; 07-10-2007 at 05:30 PM.

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Ditto what Evan said.

I bought the adaptor pigtail harness (around $12 I think)...you can rewire the exisiting harness also, but for the cost I just bought the adaptor.

My CS144 was changed to a v-belt pulley. As mentioned you really have to get the belt tight so it doesn't slip, though after getting it adjusted correctly I have ran mine for years with no issues.

The swap is very popular for GM vehicles because it's pretty easy to do. Some slight modifications to the mounting bracket and plugging in the adaptor is all it takes on most GM type vehicles, not sure if it would be quite that easy on a Jeep.

You can get some aftermarket high-zoot SI style alternators rated at 120+ amps but after doing some research on these I found that you only see the increase at high rpms and at idle or low rpms they are not really any better than the stock versions.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Thread Information