Thread: Tracker engine rebuild

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member

Tracker engine rebuild

Well I started pullin the engine at approx 5:00 this evening. Left the garage at about 8:30 and had it on the stand as just a bare block. From what I see, one of two things happened. I either rna it to hard and viberated almost every internal bolt loose, or someone rebuilt it once before and didnt torque things.

A quick pull of the valve cover and I found three of the little screws on the rocker arms laying in the bottom bouncing off of the valve springs, and severely chewed up. Also there was no gasket only red rtv silicone. Which explains the massive oil lose from around the distibutor area. The screws make for the uptop tick I heard just before it spun the rod. Pulled the head, and the head bolts seemed tight, gasket was good. Intake and exhuast botls where also all tight and had good gaskets. Water pump,thermo housing, front cover, and oil pan all had rtv silicone with no gaskets. Up[on pulling the pan I found the rods 3 and 4 to be loose, with very out of round bearings with alot of scoring. Main caps 1, 2, and 3 where also loose, but doesnt appear to have had any bearing issues there, and the crank looks fine except for where the two rods where loose. I MAY get lucky and get away with a polish, wont know until my dad looks at it, he's the engine guy. Keyway on the crank looks to be in great condition and makes me think the crank was a referbished one at some point in time. The engine is very clean inside so it couldnt have been rebuilt to long ago. There is absolutely no sludge build up in the thing. Sounds like the lack of oil didnt play much of a roll in taking the engine out, unless it built up some heat and lossened things up which doesnt seem very likely.

Forum Admin/Ohio 4x4 Life Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

So, I gotta ask -- does being able to show her it's really not your fault, get you out of the doghouse?
    Steve
    98 RED TJ
    Web Wheeler

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers

I wouldnt say I'm completely out of the doghouse, but I am allowed to continue wheeling it when its back together, and thats all I was worried about. You can count me in on the Novice ride for sure. I plan to have this thing back together in a week or so. I may even still be able to make the club ride in march like I had planned.

The bearing never actualy spun which is weird,(or atleast it was back in place when I pulled it) but it is shaped like an oval now. and has heavy scoring on both sides. the rod may also have an oval shape to it and need some repair, crank apears good according to the mic from what dad just said. Gonan take it i next week and have it checked out, maybe I'll get lucky like I'm hoping for and get away with just polishing it. The rods got me worried though, but I htink they can repair it if it is oval shaped.

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Hows the rebuild going? Think it'll be together for the novice ride?
    91 trackkick
    1.6 8v, cold air, accel wires, cherry bomb (60 screamin squirrels)
    6.5:1 samurai case
    1.5 inch spacer and lots o' cuttin
    33 tsl's, welded rear

Reinventing the steel...

I wont have a chance to drop the crank off at the machine shop until tuesday, so I wont know what to order as far as bearings and such until then. I'm fairly certian I can get away with a polish, but if not, I'll have to fork out the extra to have it turned.

Doing my best to get it put together for March 17th as 4wp's is having a little play day at thier store in cleveland. I have to work on the 10th so I wont be making the club ride unfortunitely though. Aslong as the machine work (if needed) doesnt take to long, and my parts come in, I could easily have it put back together by this weekend, or next.
    Last edited by donaldcon; 02-25-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Thread Information