Thread: beware at TarHollow (anywhere really!).

FoundingFather, xTreasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

beware at TarHollow (anywhere really!).

'Eagle Township' is where the novice ride is held - so beware in the future. These are the same Officers that tried writing tickets to us in Marietta!
    (read this from the bottom - up)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott,
    We have GPSed 95% of the roads in VintonCounty, we told the engineer we would give him all the information. The computers at Vinton are not up to date and cannot handle the work they have.
    We used county documents and engineering drawings to do the track logs, went to the areas and the logs followed the roads to a T.
    If they would like to know where the roads are and settle the issues OMTA would be glad to help. As far as I know we are the only ones who can.
    You may share this at will and at least contact Tom D. We have been begging to get this out for over two years!

William A. Kaeppner

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 4:02 PM
    To: Bill Kaeppner (E-mail)
    Subject: FW: APV Issue

Bill K -
    See below. Sounds like a GPS project to me. Would you guys be willing to help? If so, I'll have Tom Donnelly get in touch with you direct.
    Z.
    Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 3:54 PM
    To: Zody, Scott
    Cc: Marshall, Jim
    Scott,
    I hope this sheds some light on this issue.
    Please let me know if you need anything else.
    Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 3:50 PM
    To: Donnelly, Thomas; Marshall, Jim
    Subject: RE: APV Issue
    There was a project this weekend at the Dale Riddle Forest Agreement Area. Tim Thompson, Mike McConnell and Trent Scott worked it. They did not right any tickets because of the old township road issue. I think they contacted 9 riders. No one, including the township trustees know where the old roads are. Dale Harwood from Riddle Forest marked what he thought was the old township roads a couple years ago to try to contain the damage caused by the APV?s.
    I spoke with an Eagle Township Trustee today (Olen Wilt). He expressed concerns about us writing tickets when we did not know where the roads were. I asked him if he could show us where the roads were and he said that no one knew where they were. I asked him if he thought they should be riding there if they didn?t know where the roads were and he agreed that they should not ride if they do not know. The only fair thing to do would be to re-establish the roads and maintain them or abandon them. Mr. Wilt understood that but said he did not want to abandon them. He said that he was going to talk with the prosecutor and county commissioners about the problem. He was very cordial. I told him to call back if we could help him any other way. He said he would.
    If you need any other information, let me know.
    Bryan L. Postlethwait
    Wildlife Officer Supervisor
    360 East State Street
    Athens, OH 45701
    740-589-9939
    bryan.postlethwait@dnr.state.oh.us
    Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 3:32 PM
    To: Postlethwait, Bryan

FYI

Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 2:07 PM
    To: Donnelly, Thomas
    Cc: Marshall, Jim
    Subject: APV Issue
    Tom -
    I received an inquiry today from a off-road motorcycle club regarding some recent enforcement activity in D-4 involving Tim Thompson. I may be getting this information third-hand, so bear with me.
    Apparently, Officer Thompson was on some property owned by Dale Riddle Lumber recently stopping folks on ATV's/motocycles and informing folks that they could be cited. According to the fellow that contacted me, the riders were riding on an unmaintained township road right-of-way that has been marked by Riddle so riders would know where to ride and not get off into areas and cause problems.
    Could you check into this and let me know what was going on and what if any details I am missing?
    Thanks, Z. (ODNR)
    -Norm

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    We definitely want each of the trail leaders on the novice ride to have good maps/coordinates, etc. should we get stopped.

My rig will be down for a good month or so, maybe even two with the way thigns are going. That said I am perfectly willing to drive down there and ride with someone else to go over the coordinates and some of the trails.

(I'm not saying we doubt Bill K's coordinates, just that we may need to make sure we know EXACTLY where we are supposed to be around the Riddle area before we do the novice ride in August)
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Thread Information