Sr. Forum Member
    JIM
    72 FORD BRONCO 351W,C4 TRANS LOCKED FRONT AND REAR 5:13 GEARS
    38.5 Super Swamper SX ON ROCKSTOMPER BEAD LOCKS
    OHIO 4X4 STICKER IN REAR WINDOW.
    Tow rig 2018 FORD SUPER DUTY CCSB 6.7 POWER STORKE

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I will be interested to see how this plays out.......

Initial information isn't always accurate, however, this info is coming from reputable sources.
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Dirty Peter Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Hopefully a few gates will Wake people up.(hope it doesn't go much farther.)
    "Nitrous is like a Hot Chick with an std, you know you want to hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!!"

Forum Admin/Ohio 4x4 Life Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Sounds as if it was mostly a pre-emptive strike to keep the Jambo out, and they'll work out a fairly reasonable compromise later. Here's hoping, anyway.
    Steve
    98 RED TJ
    Web Wheeler

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers

Sr. Forum Member
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/lac/index.shtml

check out the power points in particular. I'm really surprised at the lack of vehicle comments(thats a good thing). They did however photograph the old camp area(two tanks ).
    "Nitrous is like a Hot Chick with an std, you know you want to hit it, but you are afraid of the consequences!!"

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Hopefully they are just taking steps to reduce the total amount of traffic in the area and make people more aware that they should leave existing trails alone.

I made two trips down to the area within about 4 or 5 months of each other and there were some significant changes to some of the areas. The most disturbing were the bypasses of bypasses of bypasses (that's not a typo). Instead of using their winch or take a short and easy strap pull people were going out of their way to make bypasses around certain areas.

I can also definitely see why they would not want a Jeep Jamboree in the area.

Overall I believe they would really hurt the overall economics of the area if all of the trails were shut down. One fall I was down there and at least 50% of the people in the campgrounds and the local hotels appeared to be there for the off-road trails.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Sr. Forum Member
    I agree with Brad here.....

That said, I have a few thoughts as well.

Most of what they were discussing was camping and lots of hiking trails as well as rock faces with holes drilled in them and carabiners(I probably said that wrong) left hanging from the cliff. There is sewage problems in some of the "unofficial campgrounds", litter, and there are some historic areas that are tore up......

Many, many of the trails are cut by users and are not an official trail. I think they realize the economic impact cutting off the off-road community, but to back off of a Jeep Jamboree is troublesome in my opinion. They turn down a pretty good economic benefit to "lessen" use.... I would have rather seen them do more of an education campaign to the Jamboree and patrol a little during the event to enforce their presence. Those caught blazing new trails, littering, etc. could be fined.(We are fined for misbehavior on the streets, why not on the trails.....this fine money could go directly into the coffers of the Forestry Service to allow them to care for the property.)

That's a dangerous road of denying access they just started down for the rest of us offroaders, in my opinion. It's like saying I-70 is getting too busy, so we are going to start turning people away at I71 and I70. If they are traveling in small groups, it is fine, but larger groups of convoys will need to go elsewhere, doesn't matter their taxes helped pave that road. - Bad analogy, but you get the point.

Again, I understand some of their concerns, and I commend the process they are using to include the public. That said, the forest service still has the final say in what they decide to do with the advice given in the LAC mtgs. So far what they are saying(Including the public and so forth) is different than what they are doing( denying access to larger groups).

My grandpa always told me....."Pay little attention to what a man says.....Watch what he does!"

So far their "doings", while maybe not intentional, are heading down a slippery slope.

We will have to wait and see how things play out in the future.
    Last edited by SES; 01-23-2006 at 03:14 PM.
    Steve Stroud
    38.5 TSL SX

Sr. Forum Member
    I've been down during jambos, before jambos, the weekend after...etc. I can understand not wanting those groups in. The weekend after typically turns into a huge recovery effort for all the new newbies that heard about the trails on the internet, or from that one buddy who paid up for jambo. It doesn't look to me like they are really cracking down on the wheelers, but rather just trying to cut down/educate all users of the area. *I hope*

That camping area pictured used to be a major destination until the access road became too deep/muddy for most tow rigs. It was never deemed a "camping" area, Boyds hollow on the other hand is(accept for the area accross the creek(mentioned in another thread)).

Sr. Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lugie
    I've been down during jambos, before jambos, the weekend after...etc. I can understand not wanting those groups in. The weekend after typically turns into a huge recovery effort for all the new newbies that heard about the trails on the internet, or from that one buddy who paid up for jambo. It doesn't look to me like they are really cracking down on the wheelers, but rather just trying to cut down/educate all users of the area. *I hope*

Okay....that makes sense......It actually makes me feel a little better, as well.

They are really trying to include the public in the decisions(that's the perception so far :thumbsup down there with the LAC mtgs. I do hope they continue to use those suggestions and continue the dialoge with like actions after the suggestions are made.

Thanks.

Steve
    Steve Stroud
    38.5 TSL SX

Sr. Forum Member
    A buddy of mine will be at the next meeting. I'll let you know what he finds out.

Sr. Forum Member
    Thanks Pete!
    Steve Stroud
    38.5 TSL SX