Thread: where things stand with the attorney

FoundingFather, xTreasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

where things stand with the attorney

Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 2:35 PM
    To: Charles Lease
    Subject: Money questions

Hi Charles,
    We have spent approximately 75% of currently available funds. (I hope to be able to raise more, yet reality begs the questions).
    If you talk to the Blue Ribbon Coalition attorney, would it cost us $200 hr. or free or somewhere in between?
    Do you think any portion of the case, i.e. our right to appeal, could be done pro bono (for the law groups? reputation)?
    OMTA is a 501 c3 that can provide a receipt for donated work. Is that worth anything to your office?
    We are trying to solicit funds yet I need to know if the case is defaulted when we run out of cash.

Do you have any projections of cost if we prevail at this point?

Bill Kaeppner
    OMTA

- - - - - - - - - -

Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 3:10 PM
    To: 'William Kaeppner'
    Subject: RE: Money questions

unfortunately i don't have any good answers for you--we are not interested in any type of arrangement other than payment for services rendered--if we get past the dismissals, the only thing left would be a full trial (if the court allows us to introduce evidence) and that would be another 2-4 thousand dollars (estimated).

- - - - - - - - - -

Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 6:08 PM
    To: Jeff Monebrake; Scott Lyon; Montgomery Bauman; Clark, Norman W
    Subject: FW: Money questions

I wanted you to see the reply.
    We are 4,000 in, so we are ?pot committed?; I had hoped they would see some benefit to being a little easy on us. >From the last billing, I know they charged us $50 to answer e-mail.
    We have about 2000 to 2500 left so if we get past the dismissals we will be trying to raise some dough.
    I am filling out paper work to see if the AMA will give us some money.
    The BRC(BlueRibbon) offered legal help from their attorney for our attorney but if they will not tell me if they will charge to talk to someone who may be able to help them, I am afraid to put them together. If three hours of chat cost us 600 I see little choice.

I visited with the Vinton commissioners and the development director today, they are all happy to help.

Bill k
    -Norm

Sr. Forum Member
    P.S. Ohio4x4 has paid around $3850 so far, and the club agreed on 4000 as a limit - so that leaves $150 remaining. SoutheasternBuckeye said 500 to 1000 can be donated. And OMTA has a little over $1500 in its LegalDefenseFund. This is how BillK came up with 2000 to 2500 left to spend on the case (unless more money can be found).
    -Norm

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Have any other organizations been contacted in regards to donating any money? I tend to think you would want to at least hit up some of the ATV/bike shops and such.

I've tried contacting a few other of the bigger clubs in Ohio but the problem is that I haven't really been able to give them anything "official" from OMTA to go.........it's basically just myself asking a club to send somebody money. I've sent OMTA a couple e-mails asking if somebody directly from the organization could contact these clubs but have never heard anything back.

Speaking of which, I talked with the Tiretown guys (who run Vinton Co. several times a year) and apparently somebody told them that the closed road "is just a few ATV trails that nobody (Jeeps, trucks, etc...) uses" and that's their stand on it so far.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Sr. Forum Member
    I have twice sent e-mails to most Ohio 4x4 clubs (two members in each), and asked my ATV club. OMTA got $1550 in its Legal Defense Fund from this asking, and askings from others. Like BillK says - theres more to do, but we need other people to help out. Asking for money is easy compared to taking a vacation day from work in order to visit politicians, governing officials, and land owners - so I am willing to take the hard road of visiting people, and leave easier tasks (like asking for money, etc) for others to do. But, its hard to get people to do much at all, even something easy (like filling out the Eco.Impact Survey). Those who have helped out - OMTA thanks you(and so do I)!!! Those who havent helped yet - PLEASE try something, anything - give up one nights TV viewing per week, or per month, or at least one hours worth of help if thats all you ever do. If you want to know what you can do - ask BillK or me.
    -Norm

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member
    I am plum out of personal funds to donate... and all of the funds I carry for OffRoadOhio.com have been donated as well (running the site with pocket money now) and havent been at the current work long enough to take off, but weekends are totaly free for me, anything fri-sunday and I'll jump in to help as best I can!

Sr. Forum Member

Just talked with a club trustee from Miami Valley 4-Wheelers. They are interested but currently having some land issues with their club's private playground so they are concentrating all of their resources to that for now.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    Just talked with a club trustee from Miami Valley 4-Wheelers. They are interested but currently having some land issues with their club's private playground so they are concentrating all of their resources to that for now.
    Brad spoke to me on this one and I am hoping that in january I can give more info from my club
    My biggest problem is I am one of only a few that have ridden the area so I have to convince the members and trustees its worth while to get involved
    I will Let Brad know asap
    Tim
    keep up or get left behind
    75 bronco trail buggy
    60-9 frt build up thread
    My pictures
    email =haspinpic@aol.com
    password=flatbroke
    OutBack Auto 4WD and Fab
    MV4W.com

Sr. Forum Member

Sounds like we will need to get some of your club up there and show them around.
    Brad

I will get with you after the new year and see what we can do about that
    maybe a trail ride
    keep up or get left behind
    75 bronco trail buggy
    60-9 frt build up thread
    My pictures
    email =haspinpic@aol.com
    password=flatbroke
    OutBack Auto 4WD and Fab
    MV4W.com

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member
    Thats the trouble im having with my wheelin buddy's 90% have never heard of it, and wont send money to help a place they dont even know

If there was one nice sized ride down there with interested parties only more would donate I think....

Honestly, I may self have nver been there, but I know its there, just havent found any club other than this one that actualy knows whats what, so I dont go.... but being I know its there, I'll do what I can so that it stays there....

Member Jr. Forum Member
    i have asked quite a few places locally about donating money for it but i haven't had any yet. i thought for sure that i could get the 4 wheeler shop that my brother runs to donate some but that old man that owns it is to much of a tight wad. the 4x4 club that i'm in doesn't have any type of money that we can take out of, not for sure if they will pitch in and donate some or not.
    www.extrememudjunkies.com
    84 4x4 yota
    406sbc w/ turbo350 tranny
    4" suspension
    3" body lift
    36/12.50/15 TSL'S
    lock-right rear

Sr. Forum Member
    This is not about just the RichlandFurnace trails - our legal battle is with the Vinton County Commissioners, showing them we mean business and that we will fight for ALL our trails in Vinton - which also includes StoneQuarryRoad, BeardCemetery, TarHollow and SaltCreek(novice trails). Any, or all, of these trails can be taken away by the same Commissioners that already took away part of the Furnace.
    -Norm

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    hi guys im new to your forum and think that i may be able to help you out a little bit. heres how my family and i own ground just off of locker plant road in vinton county and we own a large amount of ground in athens county also which we hunt and wheel on but my help may be of the legal kind my dad is an atty. and i also work for his firm we recently just went round with comm. from vinton and won against them on so land problems there and my father is always willing to help a cause. maybe i could get some time donated for him to just do his thing but mind you he would have to do this as a weekend thing until court times because he is a busy guy let me know and maybe i could get something going for you or atleast talk to him he doent charge for phone calls please let me know

Super Moderator Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Derick,

Thanks for your post. I just sent an e-mail off to Norm Clark. You should be hearing from him or Bill K.

Steve
    Steve Stroud
    1987 Ford Samurai "Junkyard Dog"
    14 bolt rear welded / Hp 60 front air locker / 5.38 gears
    4-link upper triangulated rear/ 3-link front
    5.0 Ford/C6/bw 1356 doubler/np205 twin sticked
    38.5 TSL SX
    H1 Double Beadlocked Rims

"Don't hate the player......Hate the game!!!!!"

"I live my life one trail at a time!" ............Ben Stroud

Sr. Forum Member
    Bill Kaeppner[kep-ner], President of the OMTA organization
    http://www.ohiotrails.org
    is heading the legal issues, and is communicating with the attorney representing us. He can be reached at:

kaeppner@ohiohills.com (and info@ohiotrails.org)
    or
    cell# 614=404-6189
    fax#:740-380-3050

Thanks for the offer of help - if you have any more questions, just let me/us know.
    -Norm

Thread Information