Thread: need input

useless member Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Forum Member

need input

sweet deal, well i hope! i just bought a 92 1 ton chevy 4x4, its an ex-state vehicle. it has all the stuff for a plow- minus the blade, and a tommy lift gate on the back. it has 74000 miles and little rust. the engine, trany and transfer case were pulled to rebuild the motor. the engine is in pieces and the transfer case has a broken case. the trany they say is good. i got it for 1200.
    i have a new engine to go in it, but do i trust that the trany is good, which i think is a 700r4, or put in the new turbo 350 i have. and what tc did this come with? i have a couple 203 tc's, but they are full time 4x4.
    thanks

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

The 700r4 was never used in 1-ton trucks. If it's a 4-speed automatic than it should be a 4L80-E......the same strength of a TH400 but with an overdrive. They are generally considered pretty stout and normally I wouldn't be concerned with the relative low mileage, but the fact that they have the engine and t-case pulled apart (and the snowplow) would kinda' worry me. They are not cheap to go through but if it was mine I would probably have a shop check it out while everything is apart.

I would have a hard time installing a TH350 trans in this truck (in my opinion) because it's a weaker trans and does not have overdrive.

The transfer case should have a round silver tag riveted on the back of the case (most likely covered in grime) that will have all the information on it. I believe the t-case should be a NP241. Again, I would have a hard time installing a NP203 t-case in this truck.......besides the fact that if you have Chevy versions of the t-case than the front output will be on the wrong side and you will have to figure out the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) that a 203 will not have.

I would take a long hard look at how the t-case was cracked. Typically you would have to either physically smash the case against something hard or really beat the crap out of it.....also consider a broken trans or engine mount as a culprit.

For the engine keep in mind that you will have to mix and match some parts off the original engine to make the TBI and all the electronics happy.

Also don't forget to check out the front wheel bearings, CV joints, and suspension since it appears the truck was most likely ragged on pretty hard while plowing snow.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Forum Member

thanks for the info brad, they said they droped the tc from the overhead lift when removing and smashed the corner of the case. theres about a 6 inch hole in the case. everything still spins inside it so it still might be good just needing part of the case replaced.

will i need to change intakes or will the tbi work of any intake?
    then i get the joy of trying to figure out how the serpintine belt pully system goes on.
    im hoping all the block holes are the same for all years of 350 engines.

Sr. Forum Member

I'm not sure if you can save the t-case or not. The casing is made from rather thin cast aluminum so it would be pretty tough to patch back together........but I can't say for sure. Worse case there should be plenty of those t-cases sitting around in the junkyards.

For the TBI and intake, I knew at one time exactly what was needed but can't remember right off the top of my head (been a long week...). I think you will need the TBI manifold but there might be some issues with bolting the intake to older style heads........I should be able to find the answer pretty quickly.

The serpentine should be a direct bolt-on swap since you have, presumably, all of the components off the original engine. The hardest part about swapping to a serpentine setup on an older engine is simply making sure you have all of the odds and ends needed.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Local Goon Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Brad, are you sure that none of those thruck never came with a 700R4? I swear that i saw a couple trucks with diesels that ran the 700R4. I could be wrong, but i swear that i saw a few.
    Paul

1976 CJ 5 on 37s
    1984 CJ 7 on 36's
    1993 GMC K3500 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Forum Member

ok heres what i've read-

i will need to change heads to mount the intake. which means rebuilding the heads with new springs and such.
    i will also need to change the cam to the efi computer friendly type, which also means cam bearings.
    ( i do have all the original engine parts)
    so another idea is to just put my engine in with the carb.
    what will this do for resale?? the engine i have is about 350 hp. so it will be a lot more powerfull. but then the dash will look like a christmas tree with warning lights.
    also what about the fuel pump? curently mine has a manual, the truck probly has the one i the tank.
    i am by the way just doing this to resell. so the quicker and easier the better.
    what gears should this have in it? the only info i can find on chevy trucks is for 87 and older.

Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbshakie
    Brad, are you sure that none of those thruck never came with a 700R4? I swear that i saw a couple trucks with diesels that ran the 700R4. I could be wrong, but i swear that i saw a few.
    I'm about 99.9% sure that they never put a 700r4 into a 1-ton truck from the factory. You may have seen a 1/2 ton or maybe a light duty (6-lug wheels) 2500 with a 6.2 N/A (non-turbo) diesel with the 700r4. Anything with a 6.5 turbo I've seen had the 4L80-E, even a 1/2 ton Blazer.
    Brad

Sr. Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ron
    i will need to change heads to mount the intake. which means rebuilding the heads with new springs and such.
    I believe the difference between the intakes is that the mounting studs are drilled at an angle vs. straight??? I've heard that you can redrill it to make it work.......I'll try to find more info on this.

i will also need to change the cam to the efi computer friendly type, which also means cam bearings.
    ( i do have all the original engine parts)
    Yep, if the engine is at 350 hp than I doubt the stock TBI would work very well on it for several reasons.

so another idea is to just put my engine in with the carb.
    what will this do for resale?? the engine i have is about 350 hp. so it will be a lot more powerfull. but then the dash will look like a christmas tree with warning lights.
    Honestly I think it might be harder to make a carb engine work than to just find a used TBI longblock or something. Keep in mind that the 4L80E trans is computer controlled and relies on information from the engine to operate correctly. If you ditch all of the engine electronics than you would most likely need to spend $$ getting the trans to work right (like buying a standalone trans computer).

also what about the fuel pump? curently mine has a manual, the truck probly has the one i the tank.
    The truck should have an in-tank electric pump.......too much pressure to run a carb.

what gears should this have in it? the only info i can find on chevy trucks is for 87 and older.
    I would guess 4.10......that was pretty common in 2wd 1-tons.
    Brad

Local Goon Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    my dads 1993 diesel , stock ratio was 3.73 wirh optional 4.10
    Paul

1976 CJ 5 on 37s
    1984 CJ 7 on 36's
    1993 GMC K3500 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Junior Member Forum Newbie
    you can redrill the intake to use on the older non-vortec heads or vis-virsa, but you still have a chance of having a vaccume leak (speaking from personal frustration) But it can be done.

you could also look into getting a new set of vortec heads from jegs or such (jegs has them for around 250 a head (complete) which btw flow way better than most other factory castings (yes even better than the camel humps)

far as going to a carb setup, most chevy tbi injected engines only ran at 12 to 14 psi, so you could just put a reg on it ( get one with a return port and plum it into the return line on the stock fuel system),( I have run this setup befor on a s-10 4.3, just turn the pressure down to 6 or 7 psi and it will work fine) but then you have to get another distibuter as well as you have a newer remote mounted hei that came with the truck(computer controlled) so you would have to ether find or buy a older vaccume advance hei.

the dash is a fairly easy fix as well, just pull the cluster out and pull the check engine bulb out of the dash. (I had to do that on my 83 caprice when I went to a holley carb/elderbrok intake, vaccume hei/ header setup)

hope this jiberish helps you,
    mike
    4x4 astro (no not awd) on 33's (yeah i'm the wierd one)
    on aim? dont be shy, I love talking 4x4!

Forum Member

i think the new plan is just to break down and rebuild the original motor. it will take a bit longer but probly be better in the long run. but thanks for all the help.

is the 4l80e a hydomatic?
    on the case of mine is 1st a sticker that says gm remanufactured, and on the case itself says hydromatic.

should it say 4l80e somewhere if it is?

Sr. Forum Member

is the 4l80e a hydomatic?
    on the case of mine is 1st a sticker that says gm remanufactured, and on the case itself says hydromatic.
    Hydromatic is kinda' the brand name of the GM division that made the trans........so Yes.
    Brad

Forum Member

ok just found out on the case is borg 4401.
    are these hard to find in junk yards?
    if not what is the best donor?

Sr. Forum Member

I had completely forgot they even offered a BorgWarner case is a few trucks until your topic came up. I can tell you for certain that they are not that common.........they possibly only were installed in certain 1-ton trucks. You may be able to retrofit a NP241 case in it but I'm not sure if it's a direct bolt up or what, but I would guess it would be just based on GM's general trend with parts interchange.
    Brad

Thread Information