Thread: Edumacate me on mid 70s ford trucks (250s)

Member Jr. Forum Member

Edumacate me on mid 70s ford trucks (250s)

Theres one I'm looking at now. Was getting dark so I could not see much, but here what I gatherd.

'76 ford highboy 250. Had 360 stamped on the air cleaner. 8 lug, 60 rear. low pinion front axle w/ discs (big 1 ton calipers). I could see the u joints, so I would assume its an open knunkle right? Never seen a closed style axle up close and personal yet. Had the 435/205 in it, because it was a 4 spd with the granny gear. Looking to fit this on the front of my YJ. How far off are the perches? I know the 78-79 bolt in. It looked pretty close, but no tape measure. If it has 4.10s I might get it, price is right ($400). Body is shot, but really couldn't care about the body. Anyone care to shed some light? Thanks!
    Your rig is most likely better than mine

(.)(.) Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I found this about dana 60's.. is it a 60 or 44?

75.5-77 Ford low pinion drivers side open knuckle disc brake 30 spline inners, 19 spline outers, outer knuckle spindle pilot hole is smaller than 78+ axle and is therefore notched to allow 1480 series U-joint tp pass through.
    -Brent
    '89 YJ - 4.0L/AW4/231/HP60/60/37's

Moderator/Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Even if it is a D60, it is not a desirable one. To oversimplify it, you would basically be getting a D44 with a larger ring gear, and bigger U-joints, but with D44 strength axles.......only takes one weak link in the chain to make it weak, and this axle has much less aftermarket support.

You would probably be better off with a HP44 instead of a low pinion D60 that has crappy axles.

The highboy frames are slightly narrower.....I'm thinking that the perches would be off about 3". Don't hold me to that, but 3" sounds right.

If you really want it for the trans/t-case/rear-end you could pick it up, but I wouldn't get too excited about it. Is the trans/t-case married (bolted together) or divorced short driveshaft in between? I was thinking that they did not make an NP435/205 divorced setup, but I was also thinking that most/all of the highboy trucks had a divorced t-case.

I personally would not piddle with the front end at all.....significant amount of work, and it'll still kinda be a turd.
    Large: 1978 Ford F-250
    469 V-8: 340 HP, 525 TQ
    C6, NP-205, 4.10's, 42" TSL's on 15x8's
    D60: Detroit, 35 spline Alloy Shafts w/ Longfield Superjoints, Dedenbear Knuckles, Drive Flanges.
    1410 Driveshafts, D70-U Welded, 12K Winch, OBA.

Small: 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4

Member Jr. Forum Member
    Does normal LP 60 stuff fit into it? Like could I run it the way it is now, and convert it to 30 or 35 spline inners and outters when I get some extra cash? Just trying to figure out axle options. Thanks!
    Your rig is most likely better than mine

Moderator/Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member
    Ring & pinions most likely would interchange.

Ford LP 60 has a driver side diff.
    Chevy/Dodge LP 60's have a passenger side diff.

I don't know if the spindles are large enough for larger axles, or the same length to use Chevy/Doddge stub axles.....I doubt it. The Ford's have always used different length stubs.

At bare minimum you would have to have custom inner axles, and replace the front carrier. I personally would not waste time/money on that front axle.....even if it is a D60.....and it is more likely a D44 LP.
    Large: 1978 Ford F-250
    469 V-8: 340 HP, 525 TQ
    C6, NP-205, 4.10's, 42" TSL's on 15x8's
    D60: Detroit, 35 spline Alloy Shafts w/ Longfield Superjoints, Dedenbear Knuckles, Drive Flanges.
    1410 Driveshafts, D70-U Welded, 12K Winch, OBA.

Small: 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4

Thread Information