Thread: CJ7 steering

Lifer Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member

CJ7 steering

So, I got the knuckles on tonight and started installing the drag link and tierod. Well I ran into yet another problem -- go figure... If I leave the tierod on the bottom of the knuckle, stock location, the tierod will hit the front of the axle housing. If I raise the tierod above the knuckle it will work -- just barely.

So, what should I do. I understand that I can pick up a hand reamer and sleeves and keep the TRE, I think. Or I can go with heim joints. I think that I would have to drill the taper out of the knuckle and install with grade 8 hardware.

Are their any other options? What would you suggest. This rig is mostly trailered, but does get driven to work and back in the warmer months, occasionally.

Thanks,
    Mike

Forum Admin/Ohio 4x4 Life Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Mike, I don't know if it will work in your particular application, but you might want to look at goferitoffroad.com's tie rod flip kit. It's designed for TJ/XJ D30s and is essentially a weld-in tapered sleeve. IIRC, you drill out the taper in the knuckle & then just have weld this in on the top & it provides the proper taper. Don't know how much this would help you, but it's gotta be better than reaming that taper by hand.
    Steve
    98 RED TJ
    Web Wheeler

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Technically rod ends (i.e. Heim joints) are supposed to be connected in double shear, and they also tend to wear out relatively quickly because most are not very well sealed. However a ton of people use them for that application. If you do go that route make sure to get the good joints and not the $8 ones.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Lifer Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Well, I ended up buying the Heim joints last week. I picked up the xml10-12 joints with 3/4" bushings. The 10-12 is a 5/8" through bolt hole and a 3/4" L or R hand threaded end. I bought all of this from Poison Spyder Customs and had it expressed shipped. As a side note, Jegs sells the same Heim joints but not the bushings. Anyway, none of this worked for me. Once I got it, I realized that my tie-rod was not 3/4" thread... it appears to be a metric thread. So all of that money wasted. Anyone want some Heims?

So next I ordered the tie-rod flip kit from OK off-road. I ordered these over the internet, and paid for express shipping, again. I got it today and within 1 hour had the tie-rod in place. It rubs a little at full left turn, but not bad.

I also had an ordeal getting the warm premium hubs. I had originally ordered these with the axles. They were back ordered until 4/5. So I ordered from 4wd -- they were back ordered there until 4/5. I figured that I generally get parts next day from them because of location. But I had a bad feeling about this based upon prior backorder experiences with this company. Anyway, 4/5 came and went. I called on 4/8 to get a estimated ship date, all they could tell me was that it was supposed to be there on 4/5 but that it was not there yet. On 4/11 I called again. Now they are back ordered until 5/15. Well that was not going to work.

I found them at Tellico4x4 and had to pay $70 for 2nd day shipping -- That sucked. But they worked out to only be $10 more than if I bought from 4wd -- taxes and higher price at 4wd. Anyway, those showed up this evening as well. Hopefully, I will get everything together and drivable by Saturday.

Thread Information