Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 79 CJ7 Project (Mild Trail Rig)

LifeMember Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Continued: Shocks!

With new found height I needed to measure for shocks.

It actually moves around decent up front, the rear is not as flexible but it seems stable. Up front it cycles 8.5" of shock and the rear is only 3 but that has to do with geometry of shock mounting.

Since I have the early short shock towers on the frame and the late model shock mounts on the axle tube I need to cut one of them off and either use the U-bolt mount style of the early CJ's or make some shock towers to extend the mount up.

In the tests I did not rub at all flexed lock to lock thanks to the wide track axles. That was even without bump stops extended so that is also on the list of To-Do's.

Most recently I pulled the rear leaves apart to remove the aluminum angle shims that had the pinion pointing at the T-case output and causing vibrations with my single U-Joint driveshaft. Pulling them seemed to help the drive vibrations but now I get some in reverse.. and without vibration now I can hear my pinion/carrier bearings growling. Sucks to pull a pair of axles that literally were babied for 70k miles to put in some slightly abused/neglected ones. Just Empty Every Pocket
    94 4runner SAS Elocked 35's "Fiona"
    97 F350 Powerstroke CCLB "Marge"
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member
    A must do trail ride for me every year is our Spring Novice Ride so I crammed some work in to get ready. This year however I had a longer trip to the ride. 380mi vs 50mi and did not have my trailer available so to utilize my new rear axle upgrade I thought I would give flat towing a try. Harbor Freight has cheap setups which work for me since I am towing junk... with junk...

$70 of chinesium shaped like a tow bar which easily attaches to stock CJ bumpers. Also made a break away brake by attaching some 1/16" stainless cable to the E-brake pedal and running the cable out the front of the frame to attach to the tow vehicle. Some states require this feature and I didn't want some big module permanently attached to the Jeep... hopefully this satisfies the law?

And to solve my overfueling when on the power valve I plugged one of the PVCR's in the carb to cut my power valve fuel in half. Definitely not the "right" way to do it but it did help a bit. Oddly this seems to have caused more fuel at the transition circuit just off idle...? I have to look into that further. PVCR's will get drilled out and replaced with 6-32 brass set screws drilled to provide similar flow to the 1 current PVCR that is open.

Finally I made a Highlift Jack "mount" by welding some 1/2" bolts to the OE tire carrier since I could not bring myself to cut it down to fit inside the Jeep (60" version!). Plus having that weight inside the vehicle never excited me very much from a roll over perspective. Also added nyloc's behind the wing nuts for highway transport in case vibration loosened the wing nuts. I'd rather not have 50lbs of steel loose to hit a bus load of nuns or something.
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member
    One issue I had was on the way to the trail ride while climbing a small hill I had one of my rear lockouts unlock. This hub was previously difficult to turn and required a wrench and driveshaft wiggling to engage (should have been a sign AND NEVER USE A WRENCH ON A HUB). I found that the "star nut" engagement washer that drives the hub locked when you turn the dial was bent and had cross threaded on the hub dial. Pictured is my hammered flat nut on the left Vs. a new star nut from Warn (provided free by Warn after telling them what I needed and explained their own product to them)

This caused the hub to only partially lock and under different driving circumstances would have blown the hub apart. I was extremely lucky to not cause catastrophic damage. The real bad part would have been that these hubs are no longer being produced by Warn so lets go down the rabbit hole some.

So in the late 90's-early 2000's Warn made full floating conversion kits for AMC 20's, Dana 44's, Dana 60's and a couple others. Around 06-08 Warn stopped producing these kits and sold the rights to Randy's Ring and Pinion. But to this day Randy's does not plan to produce these kits or parts for them.

The kit for the AMC 20 uses Dana 44 style internal hubs and lockouts, unfortunately the spindle, Hub, and axle are all proprietary Warn parts for the kit. There is some suspicion that the hub may be similar to an early Bronco D44 but that is not confirmed. Also the axleshafts are chromoly with 29 spline at the diff (stock AMC 20) but 30 spline at the outer hub. This is great for strength BUT most(all) stock Dana 44 style lockout hubs are only 19 spline. Also shortly after being released Warn found that while driving standard lockouts can work their way unlocked due to variations in axle hub interfacing causing big issues.

They released some drive slugs that could be used for people who wanted the ultimate strength but did not need to unlock the rear and updated lockout style hubs with a positive engagement ring inside of the wave spring and a setscrew on the dial portion to lock the hub in position.

So the issue is that if parts break they are basically irreplaceable or have to be found used, but these kits are rather rare so good luck. BUT there are some alternatives, since the kit uses the Dana 44 internal style lockout, parts from other Premium hubs can be used and warn still offers a Dana 44 30 spline lockout for use with upgraded axleshafts that are 30 spline on the outers Warn part number 30165 I believe originally sold for the hub conversion kits for CJ's and later for the YJ and TJ kits as well. Internal parts for their super common 20990 19 spline Dana 44 hubs "should" work for the star nuts, and lockout body parts. Dana 44 30 spline drive slugs should work as well but I do see that Currie Axles produces a kit specifically for the old Warn setups but don't know any differences.

The full float specific lockouts were part number 36655. I will show some broken down pictures and numbers for rebuild because I searched high and low to no avail and Warn was unhelpful since they were discontinued and I am not the original purchaser.

Hub Body with pockets for setscrew to sit on either side of the mechanical stop (if someone has a standard internal D44 premium hub to disassemble I would be curious if they have this.)

Warn's "Double Seal" setup with a standard O-Ring (Standard 126 size 3/32" O-Ring) and a semi special V-Ring for the outer most seal (Haven't found a readily available replacement but measures 2.25"ID X 2.5"OD x 3/32" Thick)

Thrust washer (somewhat special Arbor spacer 1.5"ID x 2.0"OD x .02" Thick, I can't find ones with that OD and it is required to fit in the body) and circlip (1.4"ID x .05" Thick) to hold the dial into the body

Assembled you can also see the added tube that sits inside the wave spring to force the hub locked instead of relying on spring tension.

And finally the full float hubs had sealed screws to secure the hub into the wheel to keep oil/grease from leaking out when ran as open bath lubrication with the gear oil. The kits had an option to run open bath like a 3/4-1 ton truck or add a seal and pack the bearings with grease. When ran open bath these setups loved to leak and were a pain when you needed to work on something inside the hub. Bet you'll never guess how mine are setup... Yep open bath... The screws are 6-32 x 1.75" long and have standard 006 3/32" O-rings on them

I need to tear both sides down for new wheel seals, bearings, and full seal replacement and will document here with part numbers. All the O-rings are available at McMaster Carr or other sources, I am still working on finding thrust washers and the special V-ring seal for the dial.
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member
    Fun and games continued.

After perching the CJ on the ledge of Powerline Hill on the novice ride I felt a new found desire for additional steel over my head in case things turned south with rubber side up.

I whipped up a top holder so I could remove the old roll bar without having to store the top outside

Removing the old roll bar wasn't bad, no stripped Torx bolts, only mild heat needed on nuts inside the wheel wells. But my Jeep while good by Ohio standards was met by the rust fairy on more than one occasion. Doesn't instill a good feeling about if I had needed to use the OEM roll bar.

But at least the roll bar itself was sound... aside from the really poor welding accepted by AMC in the 70's. Also note the middle bolt I did not have to loosen to remove from the jeep. The 79 style roll bar only bolts through the rear quarter panels and the fender tops which actually is a blessing since the areas for my future B-Pillars to attach behind the front seats is solid. The later style roll bars mount there and typically rust that area out with the sandwiched unpainted metal.

Next steps are replacing rusted metal on the fender tops and front footwells where the 6 point Poison Spyder cage will be attached. It will be tied into the frame in at least 4 points but I figure now is a good time to get solid metal in those areas.
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member
    Photobucket is doing its usual thing again so we'll try Google photos the long way. Odd that PB apologized the last time they tried to strong arm users into paying for premium accounts and 8 months later they do the same thing again...

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Colorado trip starts 8/02 so as usual I am prompt and ready way ahead of time.... just kidding! Its a fail fest all the way to the deadline.
    [IMG][/img]

Replacing front floors and cowl braces

Installed Poison Spyder Laser notched/Bent super cheater cage. In all honesty it was well worth the money. very easy to install and looks like someone with experience made it.

Checking door/hardtop issues with new cage

The things either not picture worthy or haven't gotten around to documenting.
    -Patched windshield frame and had new glass installed.
    -Made spare front and rear driveshafts
    -Patched rusty spots on rear fenderwell tops where roll bar used to sit... I shortcut this big time by just cutting out the rust and tossing good metal on top and flanging it in. In my defense the whole wheel houses need replaced so no use in making them pretty.

-Amazon had some Poison Spyder bare "rocker knockers" for 50% off and free shipping so I jumped on that as a start for rock sliders. Going to add some 2x2 tubing steps for ease of entry and extra distance between body and rocks.

-Finish welded the cage and painted it black.

Still need to:
    -Install OX rear diff cover (don't get too excited, no OX locker, just the cover since it was the cheapest strong cover to be found that also had a drain port. But it is machined for the actuator cable so that gives me bad ideas.)
    -Put tubing on rocker knockers
    -Modify the Motorcraft 2100 power valve restrictors to be adjustable
    -New battery cables
    -New water pump
    -Organize tools/spares

Also I adjusted our trip itinerary to Monday-Wednesday in the Ouray Colorado area and the rest of the week in Moab. I figured it will be a while before I can get out west again so crossing Moab off the bucket list will be awesome. Whats 6 more hours of driving on the 26 we will already be doing right?
    Last edited by mtnbiker4evr13; 08-12-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member
    Back on the in the East from our trip out West!

9 years ago the “first” Jeep CJ Annual Trail Ride was held in Colorado and included 2-3 guys from jeep-cj.com. Being a resto and information based site there is very little that includes trail rides or off road trips/info. These kinds of trips seem to happen all the time with the land cruiser crowd and was something I enjoyed while I had the FJ40. So over the years it has grown slowly to include 10-15 rigs and has branched to include a spring Moab trip as well as the first Rubicon Trail trip is being planned. One thing I would like to do is get an eastern US trip together for people on this side of the US to enjoy the same fun as well as enjoy the awesome wheeling we have over here.

The plan for the 9th Annual CJ Colorado Trail Ride was to include a Sunday 1 time a year opening by the BLM to do a backwards run up Black Bear Pass instead of the other 364 days a year where it is down one way only. Unfortunately Colorado was rocked with snow this winter and many areas were damaged by avalanches. Black Bear Pass had a section of shelf road damaged by an avalanche so it was closed for our trip. This however did give me another day of squish time since I already had the day off work which was greatly appreciated since extenuating circumstances were keeping me from getting the Jeep ready. My co-pilot and gracious trailer delivery driver my father arrived the Friday we were supposed to leave ahead of schedule. So he got to wait and play with my son while I buttoned up the 100 things that should have been done the day or week before.

Around 3 o’clock we loaded up the CJ on our $100 trailer to drive 1600 miles across the US. Granted the trailer was gone over with new tires, fixed brakes, lights, non-rusted out U-bolts etc. North Carolina was a breeze but we ran into issues in Tennessee with 4hrs of traffic. With our day nearly done and plenty of time we stayed in Cooksville for the night. Tennessee continued its traffic issues with 3 more hours of delays outside of Nashville and our plan to stay on interstate 40 was not in agreement with what the GPS wanted us to do. We dredged through Nashville with some creative route choices and were back trucking along. Unfortunately our squish time had been eaten up so it was time to burn the midnight oil as we drove through Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and finally New Mexico.

Sunday was our planned arrival day so we made a right turn in Albuquerque that morning to start up route 550 into Ouray. 550 unknown to us has another name, “The Million Dollar Highway” and turns out that it is a very scenic way into Ouray with thousand foot cliffs overlooking beautiful canyons and is completely unobstructed by guardrails! If you are expecting this or aren’t pulling 20ft of gooseneck trailer in the rain it is likely an enjoyable road.

Once in Ouray I unloaded the Jeep and it chose that time to let the nasty old battery cables fail that I had put off replacing since “they have always been fine…”. A quick run to town I found no auto parts stores… but I stopped into one of the jeep rental places to see if I could bum a universal terminal or something to rig together. I was given a crusty used one off a 69 GTO in exchange for the cash in my pocket.. $1. After fixing the battery situation I was met with a strong reminder that I had not touched my 1964 Autolite 2100 carb in preparation for the 7,700ft base elevation. It has always ran very rich and I had planned on modifying the power valve circuit with some brass set screws drilled with small gauge drill bits to limit the fuel delivery when on the power valve. Probably not the best thing to do in the rain on the porch of a rented cabin (shed) in the dirt at a campground 1600 miles from home. The whole process is rather risky since I would be drilling what brass restrictors were in the passages and tapping them to 6-32 for the set screws.

Surprisingly nothing broke, spun or dislodged and I was able to drill/tap the carb as I needed but when trying to drill the set screws with my Amazon special pin vice and drill bit set things didn’t happen quickly. I test drove with the power valve circuit plugged with 2 undrilled set screws but found my A/F ratio to be a bit lean at 15-16. This likely would have been fine since all the wheeling would have been up from there but to be safe it would be good to have some extra enrichment when the power valve wanted to open. While I was at dinner with the group dad stayed at the cabin to acclimate to the elevation/rest and drilled 2 of the set screws while I was gone. Woo! After installing them I found my A/F ratio to be in the safe 11-12 range and was only running rich when on the main jets which were as small as I had so I said good enough.

First morning in Ouray started with everyone meeting up in town and we drove up The Million Dollar Highway a short distance to the Engineer Pass trailhead to air down. I dropped to 14.5 psi in all my tires and swung a leg into the jeep with only a bikini top and no doors (on the jeep). We climbed up out of Ouray on the trail with no issues. The trails are not technically difficult but have some 1 vehicle width sections on the edge of cliffs which bring a level of exposure that gets the heart pumping. We stopped at the Michael Breen Mine for a little bit before continuing up to the Engineer Pass/Poughkeepsie Gulch fork. Poughkeepsie was closed due to avalanche/snow so we continued up Engineer pass without trouble. I feared the jeep being carbureted and still running a mechanical fuel pump would suffer severe vapor lock as above 12,000ft up gasoline can boil at much lower temperatures and the underside of a jeep is not exactly a cool place. Surprisingly I had zero issues, whether it was getting gas in Ouray, a stockish 232 motor or that my carb is set rather rich so it could ingest a lot of fuel vapor and run but aside from leaving my hood up to cool things down when at the top of passes it was almost never an issue.

To be continued...
    Last edited by mtnbiker4evr13; 08-12-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member
    Continued…

From Engineer Pass we ran California Pass to Animas Fork Ghost Town and Hurricane Pass to come down Corkscrew Pass.

California Pass

Animas Fork Ghost Town

Hurricane Pass

Corkscrew Pass

79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member
    Day 2

Imogene Pass to Ophir Pass

Imogene Pass
    We started out the day going out of town past Box Canyon on a gravel road to the Imogene trail head. Unlike the previous day there were a couple stream crossings which made it feel more "Adventure-us...". The plan was to grab lunch in Telluride on the other side of Imogene Pass so we moved at a pretty good clip. At the top there are a couple rock ledges to play on but the previous 3 hours of climbing at speed had my engine temp up a little and I think we were above 12,000ft at that time so my first issue with vapor lock reared its head with an unsatisfying gurgle and sputter of the engine as I was trying to get my rear tires up a ledge... exactly where you don't want to stop. Several restarts and a minute or two of cool down was enough to get me back going to the top of the pass.

What I am lacking pictures of is the descent into Telluride because for 70% of it I did not want to let go of the steering wheel. Lots of 1 vehicle width shelf road with LONG drops to the bottom. More than a couple times we discussed how this kind of trail could exist in the rather safety paralyzed US. But it was really cool to get to do those sections and we survived all the way down into Telluride where you are basically dropped into a neighborhood with no signage. The group met at Brown Dog Pizza for lunch where they serve "Chicago Style" pizza which is totally worth it.

Ophir Pass
    After Lunch we headed south out of Telluride to hop on Ophir pass to take us back over to Ouray. Ophir is similar to the other Colorado trails but had a long section of loose broken rocks on its ascent which is interesting as all 4 tires lose traction and grab rocks clawing their way to the top. At the top there were a couple street cars (Honda Accord/Pilot) that showed the back side would basically be a dirt road. Still a bold move taking them up to the top since a rain would make the return trip interesting.
    Last edited by mtnbiker4evr13; 08-13-2019 at 08:39 AM.
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member
    Day 3

Corkscrew Pass to Hurricane Pass to California Pass to Engineer Pass

My last day in Colorado was going to be a half day-ish of wheeling before loading up to drive 3hrs to Moab. Impending rain at 1-3pm helped push this plan as well. The group headed to go up Corkscrew Pass, over Hurricane and I split off from the group since they were going to run a couple passes that had opened up the day before. I ran California Pass and down the Engineer Pass Approach trail to drop into Ouray which with perfect timing started raining in my last 1/4 mile of trail. Unfortunately this meant that I had to load the Jeep in the rain but its better than touching near frozen steel in the winter.

Travel to Moab

After loading up we put Ouray in the rear view heading northwest to Moab. Travel went well other than a 30min deli sandwich made in Norwood Colorado.... I felt like the town entertainment as the guy struggled to put Ham, Corned Beef, Cheese, Lettuce and Mayo on some bread... what I ended up with was near 2lbs of deli meat some rolled some slapped on there with some old lettuce but it was served with a smile. At the Utah border tumbleweeds were found and the sights were beautiful as we dropped into Moab. By the way there were a TON of European families vacationing there with rented RV's.... around 70% of the campground fit that mold.
    Last edited by mtnbiker4evr13; 08-13-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Sr. Forum Member
    Day 4

Moab, Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, Hells Revenge

Poison Spider/Golden Spike.
    Ran Poison Spider north out of Moab and chose to continue to Golden Spike to find the famous Golden Crack that you see everyone crossing. According to a passerby in a JK with one of those fancy guide books, the crack should have been 2.3 miles out Golden Spike from the Poison Spider side... we went 3-4 miles out it before fuel, heat, and exposure risk if broken down became concerns. Later research found that the crack is ALLLL the way at the other end of Golden Spike by the Gemini Bridges entrance to the north. Still the old CJ bounced down the trail and over obstacles like the Poison Spider Waterfall, Zuki Hill, Skyline Drive, Launching Pad and the large crawl sections on Golden Spike without issue.

Hells Revenge
    After dropping my passenger off in some nice air conditioned comfort I decided to check out the Sand Flats area just outside of town. Ultimately I wanted to run Hells Revenge since it is rather popular and has some cool obstacles that are photographed all the time.

I can honestly say I did pull into Mickey's Hot Tub or Devils Hot Tub but I cannot stress enough how pictures do not show how steep the climbs and descents are in Moab. Seriously the steepest things I have ever done and the Hot Tub was no different. While I nearly flopped on my side just getting into it, looking at the near vertical wall in front of me was obviously a bad choice so I backed out of it. In the 4runner.... may have given it a run but not a short wheelbase Jeep by myself.

I did skip Escalator Hill as well due to near vertical steps but I did do Flip Over Challenge (aptly named, lots of busted body parts at the bottom) and a couple others on that trail. Hells Revenge was a cool experience with the huge rock slabs, steep climbs and all that but it was rather easy. Pucker factor is high in some areas but I don't think its "Hardcore" for guys who actually wheel. I ran it in about 2 hours in a pretty simple CJ with just a lift, tires, rear limited slip and a front lunchbox locker... I'm sure the trails in Area BFE are much harder and likely would be more fun but running stuff out there solo is a little hairy with the exposure risk and remoteness.

After doing Hells Revenge and Poison Spider I had basically done what I wanted in Moab and was missing my family so we rolled back east Friday morning.
    Last edited by mtnbiker4evr13; 08-13-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Life Members Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    You're missing some pics in those last posts. Doug will be mad.
    Norm's Sammy had one hiccup when we went out there 10 yrs ago, but I don't remember if it was really a carb issue or not. I don't remember Ernie having trouble, but of course they both had different vehicles than you. Mine is injected and I could still tell a difference in the idle and driving at that altitude.

Sr. Forum Member
    Working on it! I can only copy and paste so many pictures on lunch break
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    Kevin...I will not be mad! How can i be mad at this report?! There are more pics in this report than anyone else posted all year...combined lol. Corey did a great job for a trail report!!! Wow, those pics are amazing! Thanks for sharing. I wanna go soon. Not like next week soon cause that aint happening, but in a year or two.
    Doug
    96 Wrangler
    39" Boggers
    Tons w/lockers
    12000lb Badland extraction device
    Custom "scratch & dent" bodywork

Life Members Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    He has added pics since my reply Doug. And yes, good pics and report, brings back memories. It's worth it if you can ever go. You may want to take a milder rig than yours so you can take the more scenic trails like he did but still have fun. Doug, if you want more like this, i think our old post is still in the member's only section. It's 10 yrs old, so will take some searching
    edit: I just looked in the date range it happened and didn't see it. With all the site hacks we've had since then I guess it disappeared. If you are insanely bored over in the sandbox I can send you a link to some old pics without a write up.

Sr. Forum Member
    Went through and added more pictures/monologue. After hearing about you guys going out west when I joined the club I planned to make it out. Granted I built the 4runner specifically to take out there but the opportunity presented itself and an old silly Jeep definitely was fun. I think next time I will be there with my family and run the mild trails.
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    Even more pics! Great stuff Corey...#jealous
    I wouldnt say that i am bored, but taking 15 minutes of my day to look at things that are interesting breaks the routine up. Kevin, feel free to send me a link. I would suggest just dropping it here so others can see it, or PM me if that is easier.
    Doug
    96 Wrangler
    39" Boggers
    Tons w/lockers
    12000lb Badland extraction device
    Custom "scratch & dent" bodywork

Sr. Forum Member
    Since the out west trip I have not done much on the Jeep. I have a leaking rear pinion seal likely caused by noisy pinion bearings. A day or so a week I drive it 30 miles on the highway to work and back, I cant believe how well it still drives even keeping up with traffic on a 65MPH highway. Brakes are still fantastic with the dual diaphragm booster which rival our newer cars. My son and I also have taken it down the mountain to some railroad access trails getting used to offroad to see what he likes.

The next big project is tearing down the T18 and replacing all the bearings. Since I got the Jeep it has had a really noisy transmission in gears 1-3 and perfectly quiet in 4th. The first oil drain was milky so hopefully a standard rebuild will be fine, all gears work great and syncros feel solid. Considering having a shop do the rebuild since I am not setup with a press or much space to have it tore down. I'd rather catch it before collateral damage occurs.

My son is finally to the age to be able to go on easy trail rides so its time to get the Jeep child ready with new seatbelts, fix leaks and make it quiet. There are a couple events down here in the south next month so that's my deadline on safety things.

Next year I would like to put together an East Coast Jeep CJ Gathering similar to the Colorado one I participated in. So far they have a Colorado, Moab and upcoming Rubicon Trail rides but nothing close for east coasters and surprisingly I prefer Harlan to the out west wheeling I have done. Most likely it would be in Harlan, Windrock or Slade so if anyone wants to help or join in let me know.

Link to CJ Forum post on East Coast Gathering
    https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100/...90/#post274585
    79 CJ7 Rustomod

Thread Information