Thread: Parts from Rock Auto

Local Goon Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member

Parts from Rock Auto

Not trying to bash Rock Auto, just trying to see if anyone is having a similar experience. I have bought quite a few items from Rock Auto, with mostly good results. Generally, when multiple parts are available I buy the higher quality items (i.e. not the economy brands). I do buy from my local parts stores, but when I can wait I do like to save money. I will looks at the prices and brands of Autozone, Advanced Auto and O'Reileys (all in my town) and then compare to what I can get on Rock Auto. Most of the time, I buy the same parts I can get at the local shop. Lately, I have had problems with electrical items. I put new driver and passenger side door switches in my wife's suburban. Switches are from Dorman and are the exact same switch I would buy from Autozone. The drivers side window stuck in the down position. Returned the switch under warranty and the second one did it again a couple weeks later. They gave me my money back (minus shipping of course). I kept the old door switch and re-installed it. works every time.

Same vehicle. Wiper motor had a little hitch (slight pause as it sweeped) in it the swing of the arm, so I replaced the wiper motor. I replaced the wiper motor with the exact same Cardone unit that I would get form the local parts store. The control board in that wiper motor just went out to where the pulse wipers would not work. Wipers would only work on high. I did have one time where the wipers would not work at all. They replaced that unit under warranty and I installed it a couple days ago. It currently works like it should. I'm not replacing the items with the cheapest part. I usually put the same part (and parts #) that I would buy at the local store or better.

My luck is generally pretty terrible, but my gut tells me this is more than just bad luck. Has anyone else had any experience like this? I have purchased a lot of other hard parts (not electrical) and have had very good success with them. Right now it appears to be reserved to electrical parts.
    Last edited by tbshakie; 10-17-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    Paul

1976 CJ 5 on 37s
    1984 CJ 7 on 36's
    1993 GMC K3500 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

The single electrical part I have bought from RockAuto, which was a fan switch for the heater/AC, did not work. I actually wound up pulling the old one apart and gluing the metal contact back on and it has worked for years.........anyway, they refused to warranty the part after several calls. Never had any problems with any hard parts from them either. Like you, if I have a few days to wait on the parts I will shop around and sometime RockAuto is substantially cheaper than the local places.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    I use rockauto to get part numbers, then I check the part number at summit racing(they also sell replacement parts, dorman and such), GMpartsdirect.com(they are a cadilac dealer in NC selling wholesale over the net. Summit racing's return policy's are less hassle than most and for OH, delivery is almost always 1 day. Summit racing's credit card is 6 months same as cash, Ron
    Last edited by LAR-308; 10-17-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    1990 YJ, 350 sbc, AX15/231, Tom Woods SYE & shaft, Dana 44's F&R, 5.13's, detroit lockers, 3.5" springs, 1"bl, 1/2" boom shackles, 35" MTR's, Warn 8274, overland bound member #3644

Local Goon Ohio 4x4 Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Thanks for the info on where you get your parts Ron. Sounds like I may not be the only one when it comes to electrical components. Anyone else have any experiences good or bad?
    Paul

1976 CJ 5 on 37s
    1984 CJ 7 on 36's
    1993 GMC K3500 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Slightly different topic but I use Advance Auto Parts the most. This is because you can almost always find a 20%-30% discount code then order the parts online and pick them up at the store.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Member Ohio 4x4 Member
    Forum Member
    A guy I work with has had good luck with them.
    1990 YJ, 350 sbc, AX15/231, Tom Woods SYE & shaft, Dana 44's F&R, 5.13's, detroit lockers, 3.5" springs, 1"bl, 1/2" boom shackles, 35" MTR's, Warn 8274, overland bound member #3644

Administrator/Web Wheeler Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    I use Summit for quite a bit, but they are only about a 10 minute drive away from my house so I can walk in and talk to them which is nice. I actually have always found Rock Auto's website hard to use and find anything so I tend to avoid it and not buy form them.

Senior Member Sr. Forum Member
    Always hit or miss for me really most all my parts come from rock auto.

BlackRubi Forum Member alancurtis2's Avatar
    I've had good luck with Rock Auto, but in thinking about it I'm not sure I've ever bought an electrical part from them.
    I've got about 10 fridge magnets from them going down the side of the fridge, so that probably means this is a sample size of 10 or so orders.
    Axle parts, brake parts, door latch for my van, radiator fan clutch, tie rod ends.... but nothing electrical I can find in my "receipts bucket"...

alan
    Alan
    Black 06 Rubicon TJ
    Latest: Beadlocks
    Intentional: 2" spacer lift, 1" body+engine, 34 LTBs, Kilby gas tank skid, steering box skid, JKS swaybar disconnects, Kilby rocker guard/steps, Kilby front bumper, Smittybilt XRC8 comp winch, Durango Generator.
    Forced stuff: JKS adjustable front upper control arms, rancho shocks, Delete fog lamps, On-trail body mods for greater clearance (ie Dents).
    Next: flat belly skid, 35+?, re-attach fog lights?

Thread Information