Thread: Solar eclipse on Aug.21,2017(Monday)

FoundingFather, Treasurer Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

Solar eclipse on Aug.21,2017(Monday)

Eclipse path : https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...ugust-21?n=414
    The NASA Total Eclipse website says a shade 14 welding lens/helmet is the only lens ok for viewing the eclipse.
    Welding stores say 10 & 11 are common sales, and usually 9-13 are stocked but 14 usually must be ordered.
    And most welders lenses do not bear a marking that designates the shading.
    -Norm

Moderator / Life Member Moderator
    Sr. Forum Member

I know that #14 shade welding helmets do not seem common. Most adjustable shades I have seen are 9 -13 and most fixed shades seem to be around 10 - 11. To clarify what they probably mean about the lens not being marked, I've never seen a helmet or pack of replacement lenses that were not clearly marked what shade they were. But if you have some loose replacement lenses floating around I don't think they are marked on the actual piece what they are.
    Brad
    '90 Blazer - 6.2 diesel, 700r4, Dana 60, 14 bolt, locked, 39.5" Super Swamper TSLs, winch, rollcage, yada, yada, yada......

Sr. Forum Member
    Sounds good.
    I made it back from Hopkinsville,KY (couldn't get to Nashville that morning) - worst freeway traffic Ive seen in my entire life - like out of some movie, where everyone flocks to only freeways to get out of an area - I ended-up doing over 100 miles on backroads due to freeways being dead-stopped - a 6hr drive took 10.5 hrs to get home.
    -Norm

Sr. Forum Member
    How is this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Norm

Administrator/Web Wheeler Ohio 4x4 Life Member
    Sr. Forum Member
    Here's a photo I took during the eclipse up in Kent.

Eclipse.jpg

Sr. Forum Member
    Cool! I saw same thing - but orange crescent was at the side, then there was no orange at all, then crescent showed on other side. Wish I had a camera, but internet surely has tons of pics.
    -Norm

BlackRubi Forum Member alancurtis2's Avatar
    So I travelled out to... well it ended up being Wyoming.. to see the eclipse. Totality was awesome. So awesome that I forgot to take my planned pic of it! too much time spent taking pictures through another pair of eclipse glasses before totality I guess. I did get some pix of the 360 degree sunset effect (red horizon all around), and a movie of the landscape before, during, and after totality.

I too did back roads in the area of the eclipse to avoid traffic, and some of it looked really fierce... seems most of Colorado came up I25 to near Douglas WY where I was watching. Good thing I picked some really minor roads in the middle of no-where as my actual viewing site... less than 50 people on the 100 acre plateau we picked.

Can't wait for 2024 when there is another one that goes from Texas, through Ohio, and then up the new-england/Canada border...
    I definitely recommend getting into the zone of Totality.. .it really is hugely different than 99% eclipsed...

alan
    Alan
    Black 06 Rubicon TJ
    Latest: Beadlocks
    Intentional: 2" spacer lift, 1" body+engine, 34 LTBs, Kilby gas tank skid, steering box skid, JKS swaybar disconnects, Kilby rocker guard/steps, Kilby front bumper, Smittybilt XRC8 comp winch, Durango Generator.
    Forced stuff: JKS adjustable front upper control arms, rancho shocks, Delete fog lamps, On-trail body mods for greater clearance (ie Dents).
    Next: flat belly skid, 35+?, re-attach fog lights?

Sr. Forum Member
    My Hopkinsville,KY trip was just for the 100% eclipse - that town was within 5miles of the middle of the 100% path - there was a white halo around the moon for almost 3minutes, Wendys & TacoBell lights came on, street lights came on - it got 95% dark, but not totally dark, due to the halo lighting up the area a bit.
    Someone here at work said there are 2 types of eclipses - what I saw (white halo around moon - moon was bigger than the sun), and an orange circle of the sun around the moon (due to moon being smaller than sun - ie moon is further from earth) - what will the 2024 eclipse be?
    -Norm

BlackRubi Forum Member alancurtis2's Avatar
    2024 will also be a Total Eclipse. What you are describing is an Annular Eclipse that leaves a ring of sun around the moon and for which you can NEVER take off your eye protection since there is always some "naked sun". Technically an Annular Eclipse is just another form of Partial Eclipse (where there is always a crescent of sun).

Oh, but perhaps I'll TELL you this at the meeting before you ever read this posting in your "once a week" check-in with the web world...
    Alan
    Black 06 Rubicon TJ
    Latest: Beadlocks
    Intentional: 2" spacer lift, 1" body+engine, 34 LTBs, Kilby gas tank skid, steering box skid, JKS swaybar disconnects, Kilby rocker guard/steps, Kilby front bumper, Smittybilt XRC8 comp winch, Durango Generator.
    Forced stuff: JKS adjustable front upper control arms, rancho shocks, Delete fog lamps, On-trail body mods for greater clearance (ie Dents).
    Next: flat belly skid, 35+?, re-attach fog lights?

Thread Information